How To: Replacing Upper Ball Joints on a 3rd Gen 4x4 [Pictures] | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Replacing Upper Ball Joints on a 3rd Gen 4x4 [Pictures]

OK... so I tackled the replacement of the upper arms when finding out my joints were completely trashed. Figured it was worth the extra $30 per side to not worry with the pressing in/out of the joints. I should have followed my gut instinct to replace the lowers while I was at it, but did not.

Well... it appears as though hindsight really IS 20/20, as I'll be needing to do the lower joints, as well. My question is... where would I get replacement nuts for the upper joints where they attach to the knuckle? I'm under the assumption that these would not be re-usable because they have the nylon self-lockers in them.

Something I can get at Lowe's or Home Depot? Would an auto parts store carry them, or do I need to go to Ford?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would like to add that Advance Auto will price match Rock Auto on exact parts. I am getting two new UCA for $90.

Upper Ball Joints Replacement

I want to let you know that I printed out this forum with the pictures and instructions. It was a GREAT tool!!!! Everything was explained perfectly. It took about an hour and 15 minutes for the left side. It only took 25 minutes for the right side. Thanks GUYS !! :usa:

Can't wait to put mine in with strut spacers, gears etc in spring...

This was a great writeup. Really helped me. I was able to change mine without removing the control arms too.

Real simple to replace and absolutely no reason to remove the control arms. After using the medium size receiving cup on the top end of the ball joint to remove, (from the small AutoZone kit), just place the cup on the bottom side when installing the new ball joint. No need to turn the pressure clamp around and there's plenty of room.

I just replaced the upper control arm. Ball joint and bushings were both bad. Only took about 30min to change. I used Mevotech replacement from Rockauto, fit like a glove.

:exp: Thank you for this I just got an 02 Explorer and am getting ready to do upper ball joints thank you for the information

DAMN THIS THING IS IN HERE! I had no idea it would be THIS difficult to get the ball joint out!

HiImBrian said:
DAMN THIS THING IS IN HERE! I had no idea it would be THIS difficult to get the ball joint out!

Nevermind.... It's really easy once you figure out how to do it the "RIGHT" way...... :banghead:

EDIT: Done. Took 2.5 hours for the first side and 45 mins for the second. Not bad for my first time. I REALLY needed them too:
4e31c472.jpg

I finally got around to doing mine last weekend, I removed the lift spacers at the same time. (they are for sale BTW)

I can tell everyone this, you WILL HAVE TO TACK WELD them to the upper arm. I guarantee 100% that they will pop out of the arm if not welded in.

04 EDGE said:
I finally got around to doing mine last weekend, I removed the lift spacers at the same time. (they are for sale BTW)

I can tell everyone this, you WILL HAVE TO TACK WELD them to the upper arm. I guarantee 100% that they will pop out of the arm if not welded in.

Idk, this thread was started about 3 years ago and nobody has posted that it has yet... :dunno:

04 EDGE said:
Post #77 Brian.

There has also been a few other threads started on this problem.

I'm sure there are a few, there are hundreds that have done it; and I'm willing to bet that a lot of those problems are human error. I'm confident in my work and am comfortable driving with them.

I can say all the ones I have ever done on these trucks have came loose and popped out of the arm. I am a master certified mechanic and work in a busy chain shop, I see a lot of these. When I did mine last weekend I didn't hesitate to get the welder out. These also remind me of the lowers on the old Ford probes, they also would loosen up in the arm and had to be tack welded in place.

This is an excellent write up. Which they all could be ad thorough. I do have one question however. Is there a need for an alignment after?

Allignment?

With replacing upper control arms, definitely. Ball joints only - not as essential, unless you needed the alignment before the ball joint replacement. In that case, you can now go get one.

If you go into an alignment shop for an alignment, and they see your ball joints need replacing, they will probably call it to your attention and advise you to have them replaced first and then return for alignment.

Upper and lower ball joints

This is a very good discription for replacing the upper Ball joint. I need to replace both. is the process similaur for the lower? Is it necessary to remove the upper control arm. or can the ball joint be pressed out while it is still in the car>

Lower Ball Joints

I changed by lower ball joints this weekend while I was doing coil-over shocks and drive axles. Changed then with lower control arms in.

Note - Advance Auto has 2 flavors of ball joint kits. Have to have the big kit to get the right receiver cups for the job. Also, don't forget to orient ball joint per instructions so grease comes out the rear.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's the torque specs according Chiltons, it also says to loosen the axle retainer nut for some reason on the 4x4?

Ball joint nut 41 ft. lbs. (55 Nm) for 2wd and 38 ft. lbs. (52 Nm) for 4wd

Upper arm nuts 111 ft. lbs. (150 Nm).

Check and, if necessary, align the front end.

My question is how do I properly torque the new ball joint nuts? I purchased the complete upper control arms and there's no way to torque the nut with the hex headed socket and wrench on there?

How is everyone else torquing them? Just snugging them up and then removing the hex head socket and wrench and then torquing hoping they don't spin?

Back