Staff member
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Charlestown, RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Escape SE
I just replaced the window motor for my driver door and have encountered some issues. I replaced the motor and didn't touch the regulator with the exception of loosening the "back channel" when I thought I was going to have to remove the regulator to replace the motor.

I got the motor replaced and it goes down fine but won't go up without assistance. I'm guessing that it is binding, but I can't figure out why. Like I said, I didn't mess with the regulator except as mentioned above.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump, for the weekend crowd. ;):thumbsup:

Bump, for the late-night / over-night crowd!

I checked my shop manual in there is nothing in there about the windows needing assistance to go up. :dunno:

Guess I'll just have to deal with it.

Is it possible you have faulty replacement motor? Binding on weather stripping?

Another thought, my wife's minivan had the similar problem. Turned out to be the regulator, not the motor. Had to replace both however, because on her van they only sell the regulator and window together.

Sorry Rhondo. Only problem I have had if a broken plastic piece that hooks the glass to the regulator. Had a friend machine out a replacement that is way stronger then the original. No binding issues.

Is it possible you have faulty replacement motor? Binding on weather stripping?

Another thought, my wife's minivan had the similar problem. Turned out to be the regulator, not the motor. Had to replace both however, because on her van they only sell the regulator and window together.

Sorry Rhondo. Only problem I have had if a broken plastic piece that hooks the glass to the regulator. Had a friend machine out a replacement that is way stronger then the original. No binding issues.

Thanks guys. As far as I know the regulator is good. I'm going to check the weatherstripping again. I can deal with it going up real slow, I just don't want the added stress to cause premature motor failure.

I'll post up what I find out.

I understand. U want it to move freely to prevent any future issues. Burned up 2 regulators on my son's jeep which seemed due to drag in track.

Haven't checked the weatherstripping yet. Will post when I do. Winter is upon us so the window doesn't go down much.

Rondo,
Where did you buy a motor separate from the regulator? I thought that for the front doors they were available as a combo unit only. Is it significantly easier to replace just the motor rather than the whole regulator? I am interested because I have a stuck rear window. I know that you can get just the motor for the rear windows.

Have you looked at the very helpful videos at 1aauto YouTube Channel? This one is for Explorers: http://www.youtube.com/user/1aauto#p/search/0/z8UfSotzIiA

Rondo,
Where did you buy a motor separate from the regulator? I thought that for the front doors they were available as a combo unit only. Is it significantly easier to replace just the motor rather than the whole regulator? I am interested because I have a stuck rear window. I know that you can get just the motor for the rear windows.

Have you looked at the very helpful videos at 1aauto YouTube Channel? This one is for Explorers: http://www.youtube.com/user/1aauto#p/search/0/z8UfSotzIiA

I have checked out that video, but it's for a 2nd gen and it looks like that regulator is the "scissor" type. The 3rd gen is the "cable type".

I got the motor from NAPA. I did the driver's door and the part number I got was 49-8146. It is remanufactured so I know it started as a genuine Ford part. It was $47.99 + $11.46 core charge + tax. The junk yards wanted $50 + tax and they didn't have any.

I was relatively easy to swap out. I just have the binding issue. I didn't remove the motor/regulator as one unit because the clamps that connect the window to the regulator were bolted in as shown in this picture borrowed from the regulator replacement thread by Dr_Z (Click here for the thread):

Drawing9S.jpg

(Picture borrowed from Dr_Z's Regulator Replacement Thread)

I plan on using regulator replacement thread by Dr_Z to help me troubleshoot my binding issue. Maybe the cables came off the track when I loosened the part the motor mounts to in order to get the motor out.

Let me know if you need some pointers for removing just the motor.

Rondo: I wish I knew you needed this. I have a place that sells Dorman regulators with free "overnight" shipping for $59. I may also have a coupon code for a discount.
I did my pass side front and it works great.

Rondo: I wish I knew you needed this. I have a place that sells Dorman regulators with free "overnight" shipping for $59. I may also have a coupon code for a discount.
I did my pass side front and it works great.

Thanks. Mine ended up costing me $50.99. It seems to be working better now. Maybe it has to break in? :dunno:

no worries, Just kinda threw it out there in case someone else on the board was looking for one.;)

I assume it would have shipped from Pepperell so I would have had it fast enough. I have been eyeballing your website and have a bunch of stuff on my wish list!

Update: I haven't addressed this issue yet. I just realized that I installed the motor almost a year ago. Man, I am slow!

I have noticed that the window operates great when it's raining so I'm guessing it's a lubrication issue. I'm going to try to tackle it this weekend. I have a bunch of stuff I want to take care of before the weather turns. Who knows what I will get accomplished? :dunno:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back