DIY stunt double
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
This belongs to the wife of My wife's boss.

1988 4 runner. Working out the steering and some other issues.

Old parts off,

001.jpg

I went with the 4crawler idler arm kit and bushings

New idler installed

006.jpg

Pitman arm part number

003.jpg

And new arm installed

007.jpg

New KYB steering Stabilzer. I'm a no boot guy myself

008.jpg

Not being able to leave well enough alone, I powdercoated the front skid plate in Titanium metallic with a coat of clear powder coat
009.jpg

The front fascia-spoiler was painted black, and looked pitted showing white through. SO I got out a can of black satin rattle paint and touched it-along with some luvvin to the suspension components. Installed the skid plate and voila!
011.jpg

010.jpg

Ok, on to the rest of the truck. I am still waiting on the rag joint and window channels from the dealership-should have had them by now but hey--

Here are some other issues

under the hood--
022.jpg

anyone know where this plug goes?

023.jpg

And I have to fix this leaking rear axle housing. I am hoping the vent clogged up to cause this

018.jpg

Otherwise, this truck is pretty ool. I want to buy it. Take a look under the skirt--

dent free skid plates

019.jpg

020.jpg

kinda clean looking
021.jpg

016.jpg

013.jpg

015.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

026.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That thing is beautiful! The plug is just an extra that is on all the 22re's, doesn't go to anything. Looks like it has had a motor done (or at least an oil pan reseal). You have already addressed the #1 wear item on that generation 4runner (idler arm). Other common things to check are lower ball joints, timing chain guides (just like the SOHC 4.0L) and valve adjustment. Other than being slower than a 3 toed sloth they are damn near bullet proof. If you have any other specific questions I'd be glad to help.

P.S. Love the powder coat, now you need to do the wheels to match. :D

Thanks Mike! I might just be asking a lot of questions.

Yes, I am told the engine was rebuilt about 23k miles-4 years ago.

As for being slow--more like a 2 toed sloth, or 1st gen explorer. I would say the acceleration matches a 1st gen v6, but with the manual transmission it feels a bit more fun. I wonder how well it would hold 65 mph though.

Thanks Mike! I might just be asking a lot of questions.

Yes, I am told the engine was rebuilt about 23k miles-4 years ago.

As for being slow--more like a 2 toed sloth, or 1st gen explorer. I would say the acceleration matches a 1st gen v6, but with the manual transmission it feels a bit more fun. I wonder how well it would hold 65 mph though.

I like it, my roomate has an 86 pickup about to go sas and get a mercades diesel.

But I take offense to the 1st gen v6's having no power, you just need a 5spd, the one I had would spin em with the stock size tires.

3 of the nuts on the diff housing were loose, right where it was leaking. I tightened em snug and filled the diffy, after pulling the hubs and looking everything over real good.
It is still dry after a few hours. My fingers are crossed.

Couple things--

I got the pitman arm a spline off when I stuck it back on I think, as the steering wheel is a tad off to the right. I'm going go pull the arm and jump it a tooth to see what happens.

The steering rag joint is actually placed between the coupler assy and steering shaft, and is no longer available. I guess I need to try my luck with a universal rag replacement.

Toyota dealer sent the wrong window channel, but we got it all straightened out now. It had to be ordered again however they are going to deliver the part and pick up the wrong ones, then fix the bill. Pretty good of them to offer that, instead of shipping. :thumbsup:
Steve at Shepard Team Toyota in Ft Scott Ks, spent quite a bit of time figuring the parts out for me.

On the pitman arm, if you look at the sector shaft from the bottom there is a line that goes across the end of the shaft. The pitman arm should have lines in the cast that will match in order to line it up properly.

Well, still leak free, and new window parts will be here tomorrow.

Now I am informed we want to address the rear leafs and shocks for a better ride, as it bottoms out easily.

I was also told to powdercoat the wheels and get a new set of 31's on it. I need some ideas for wheel colors-as I may straighten out the bumpers and color match them.

platinum to match the skid plate and grille would be my choice. I will probably pull the grill off and re paint it also.

I would have done this earlier if I had known I had more reigns-

OK, Mike I hope you chime in here, I am using a 4runner forum also, however they don;t seem to respond well to questions.

First--
I took a good look at the steering coupler AKA rag joint.

001-1.jpg

I marked it for dis assembly

002-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

actually, it looks ok. Toyota no longer makes this and fitting a doorman replacement looks bad--mmmkay

I shot a little video of the steering rack " play"
click below picture

Is this bad? normal?

moving on---

Out comes the bad -rotted window channel
014-1.jpg

New part number

015-1.jpg

ok, here is the window "hinge" , the window is supposed to be in the gap of the rubber and the rubber fills the gap in the metal hinge

009-1.jpg

new one pictured for comparison, very different

011-1.jpg

part number

010-1.jpg

It bolts to the arm like so

012-1.jpg

then the window is wedged in as tight as you can by hand
013-1.jpg

Blocks of wood in the window gap to hold it in place while upward force is applied to the hinge, and a few pushes with a prybar pops the channel up into place. This grips the window to pull it down, also pushes it up depending on which way you crank the handle.

wonder if this bumper can be adjusted?

008-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

The amount of play in the steering box is normal (basically its just like backlash on a ring and pinion). One of the reasons most manufacturers went to rack and pinion steering was to eliminate the vuage steering common with worm drive gear boxes (caused by the backlash).

As far as the rear springs go I am no help on where to source stock replacement springs. When it comes time to replace rear springs we typically upsell the customer to an Old Man Emu lift (2.5"). They aren't cheap, but man do they ride nice. The most common ways I've seen the rear spring sag dealt with is with either a set of lift shackles or an add-a-leaf.

I think the wheels would look good in the Titanium.

And the love continues.

Before shots of the front bumper--grill.

001-2.jpg

002-2.jpg

Took the bumper, grille , fascia and spacer between bumper and grill off,

Pounded on the bumper a bit, and tried my best on the spolier. It was bent up pretty well.

I then used some factory color on the grill ( duplicolor) and powdercoated the bumper in Smoked chrome. The divider and spoiler got wrinkle black

after shots

004-2.jpg

006-2.jpg

shade and sun ( to show differences)

007-2.jpg

008-2.jpg

SParksafly'n and I also replaced the rear leafs springs last week but got no lift out of it, so tonight I installed some add a leafs ( short version)

Before tire arch

011-2.jpg

after add a leaf

010-2.jpg

bumpstop gap after AAL

009-2.jpg

This gained about 3/4"-7/8"

OK, the ol gal also got a new rear bumper,Rear Rancho rs5000 shocks, and new tires ( new style cooper discoverer 30x9.50x15),

While the tires were being installed I let em keep it overnight to powdercoat the wheels while Cybergasm and CJ sat around and talked with us. Pictures of the wheels later after cleanup --the truck is a bit dirty now.

Nice 4-Runner find Jon! I know I'm late on the springs, but Alcan Spring in Grand Junction ,CO has springs for these,soft ride, or lifted. I had a 1987 Xtra Cab pickup with a 22re with a Spearco turbo kit installed on it.It would pull Dallas Divide at speed limit in 5th gear. The turbo engine was also available from Toyota,but was short lived.

Thanks Dave, I kinda wish it was mine.

Ok after a quick trip to the carwash, here are some pictures. The wheels are coated in Argento, I used smoked chrome on the bumpers because it matches the grill better and i have lots of it on hand.

007-3.jpg

005-3.jpg

The rear bumper ends were poopy , and they broke when I removed them so I need to get new ones, however the bumper turned out good I think
004-3.jpg

002-3.jpg

001-3.jpg

So, does this color work on the wheels?

works for me :D

Yup, we ( Dave , CJ, Sheri and I) had a 4 way discussion on wheel color, that ended up going 5 ways. The girls said flat black, Cyber and I said argento, so I went to call the trucks owner for her opinion. She didn't answer, so since Dave and I are bigger than everyone, they got Argento with 40% clear.

Then the owner calls and says"how about flat black?"

:D:D

I just hope she likes this color better.

Yup, we ( Dave , CJ, Sheri and I) had a 4 way discussion on wheel color, that ended up going 5 ways. The girls said flat black, Cyber and I said argento, so I went to call the trucks owner for her opinion. She didn't answer, so since Dave and I are bigger than everyone, they got Argento with 40% clear.

Then the owner calls and says"how about flat black?"

:D:D

I just hope she likes this color better.

LOL oh geez

Showed CJ the pics and she approves now that she seen them on the truck :D

Back