Fuel Filter Replacement w/pics | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Filter Replacement w/pics

Aviator

Does anyone know if the 2003 Aviator has the filter in the same location?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On the inlet side of my 03 Sport the lines have a green clip on the top and two tiny holes on the bottom that you can see the green clip through. I tried useing a small screwdriver in the tiny holes to push up but no luck!Tried prying the green clip off just makes a mess of the plactic clip. I got the metal tool but the D side 3/8 is still to big to fit in the fittings! Any help would be great!

Assuming your 03 is like my 02 the plastic clips (mine were maroon) need to be removed. I describe how to do it here.

Explorer Fuel Filter Removal

I didn't have any luck using the metal tool to remove the line on the outlet side. I had to use the little plastic ones and some patience.

I finally got the inlet lines off by forceing a 5/16 removal tool in and pulling back on the lines[it was not easy]. The clips on mine are diff, than on the instructions, they are smaller and would not move, but I got the lines off. The outlet was the tough one with much prying , twisting, pushing and pulling it came off. I was more conserned that the lines would reseal but they did. [ the inlets with a tap with a rubber mallet].

glad you got it done. It isn't an easy fuel filter for sure. I really had to mess with the tool to get the outlet line off myself

Woohoo!! Finally got it!!!
For a newbie like me it took around 3hrs. 2.5 of the hrs were spent trying to disconnect that damn output line. I broke the 1st disconnect tool I was using and had to go back to autozone, no biggie though, only 8$. Total was about 30$ for the filter and the two tools. This thread was very helpful! Thanks!!

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=508646

Is that what I'm looking at for an 07' v8 limited?

Thanks

:update:

I changed my fuel and air filter today and my truck thanked me generously with more horsepower and greater throttle response.

The old filter was filled with black gunky ****. Also, the clips gave me a little hassle, but altogether it was easy and fast.

+1 on the rags and if your new filter came with plugs (mine did not) use them as soon as you take off the first end of the filter.

Good luck.

tryed mine last weekend and after an hour gave up and put the shields back on, screw it , ive got a buddy that works at the dealership, im gonna make it his problem.

is there a way to do a trans service on an 03?,no dipstick, but the pan seams easy to drop the pan?

I gave up too.

Just replaced mine what a pain the butt. Used the plastic tool to get off the main line after a few swear words. I tried using the metal tool but could not get the line off with that one. Next time should go way faster.

After reading all these comments, some freakin' hilarious, I think I'll let the dealer or some other shop replace my filter! Back to watchin a movie!

Has anyone thought to use a sharp pair of cutters and just snip the end of the filter off to get it out so you have a little more room to work on it?? It seems like it'd be much easier to get these clips off... Doing this tomorrow.

Brian that is what I was thinking, there has to be an easier way

My 1st fuel filter replacement was at 65,860 miles. My 2nd replacement at 108,000 (yesterday). The second time was more challenging than the first. It did take about 2-3 hours. I wanted to point out couple of things: 1. Be careful with the plastic clips on the 2 hoses, they can be unlocked with the help of a little screwdriver; 2. The single hose on the inboard side can be difficult to uncouple, but I managed to take it off with the plastic tool, just jammed it really hard with careful use of needle-nose pliers (under it as a leverage), then pull it HARD with one hand (without interfering with the metal lock), while your other hand holds the edge of the filter. I had it disconnected from the two lines at that time; 3. Make sure the orientation of the bracket matches the old filter installation, (it sounds obvious but once you work for an hour(s) under the car with gasoline vapors around you may experience difficulties in your work flow). The filter holder is pointed AFT.

First off.. @#$% you Ford - no seriously @#$% you!!!

....BUT I beat you!!! I am a Jedi fuel filter remover like many on this forum and my fathers before me ;)

This was my 2nd weekend attempt at doing this - took a little over an hour to complete this time. Here is my contribution...

The tool I used was - Lisle 39400 Angled Disconnect Tool Set:
http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-39400-A...&sr=1-1&keywords=lisle+angled+disconnect+tool

I used the blue 3/8 one. It did not come off as easy as I had hoped though, it was difficult until I used a 13mm wrench (the open end and same one used to take off the heat shield bolts) behind it and used it as a lever to push the tool into the coupler - and it worked!!

Here is a great site that shows what the red clips look like:
http://www.liftedf150.com/ford-explorer-fuel-filter-fuel-filter-change/

You do not need to take the red clips all the way out - just push them up enough in order to pull off the hoses. I used a screwdriver to gently pry the hoses off the filter once the red clips were not clipped around the filter.

There was quite a bit of fuel that came out at first because the filter is full of it. Use the caps that came with your new filter to prevent the fuel from coming out.

-Natedogg

I must be an idiot. I can't find the damn fuel filter to save my life!

If I remember correctly, it's buried up underneath the passenger side if front of the gas tank under 2 coverplates.

edwx said:
If I remember correctly, it's buried up underneath the passenger side if front of the gas tank under 2 coverplates.

That's what I thought, but I can't even trace the fuel lines to it...

first off.. @#$% you ford - no seriously @#$% you!!!
exactly!!

i just have to say two things. First, this thread has been a ton of help. Second, whoever designed these "quick" disconnect fittings should be kicked in the crotch about 30 times.

amen!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Turns out I'm an idiot and it was right where it was supposed to be. :banghead:

The clips and tool were a little tricky, but were REALLY easy once I figured out how to do it. In all, it took me just under 30 mins to change out. I'm confident that I could do it under 15 mins now. I'll tell you though, my 3" body lift made it WAY easier.

I have a 3-port filter on my 03 4.6 and I've read that the 3-port filters are only for Flex Fuel engines. It was also my understanding that the 02-03 explorers weren't Flex Fuel. As far as I know, It's not; but this is getting me thinking that maybe it is? Anybody have an input?

Back