• Register Today It's free!

Best trunk liner for pet(s)?

Lhymes

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer Platinum
Heya, just ordered my 2012 Explorer Limited yesterday. I'm in the process of getting a few much-needed accessories together. Looking for a good trunk liner for my dog that could hopefully work well for hauling stuff, also. My dog loves being in the car, so gets excited and sheds a lot in it lol. I'm hoping for something that can attract the fur (cloth of some sort maybe?), clean easy, and be rugged enough for hauling. I know, I know - kinda being picky lol. Any suggestions? Happy dog owners with 2011+ Explorers? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Heya, just ordered my 2012 Explorer Limited yesterday. I'm in the process of getting a few much-needed accessories together. Looking for a good trunk liner for my dog that could hopefully work well for hauling stuff, also. My dog loves being in the car, so gets excited and sheds a lot in it lol. I'm hoping for something that can attract the fur (cloth of some sort maybe?), clean easy, and be rugged enough for hauling. I know, I know - kinda being picky lol. Any suggestions? Happy dog owners with 2011+ Explorers? Thanks!

The Husky Liners are great. I have the entire set from front to back and am pleased with the money I spent on them.

Heya thanks for the info. I do like what they look like on the site. My only concern is they appear to be hard plastic. I'm worried that if I have my windows down and dog in the back, his fur (longer coat; like 3-4 inches) might get blown up into the 2nd row area. Obviously it doesn't fall off him in sheets, but some hair getting blow up into the passenger area can build up quickly. Thanks!

Heya thanks for the info. I do like what they look like on the site. My only concern is they appear to be hard plastic. I'm worried that if I have my windows down and dog in the back, his fur (longer coat; like 3-4 inches) might get blown up into the 2nd row area. Obviously it doesn't fall off him in sheets, but some hair getting blow up into the passenger area can build up quickly. Thanks!

I have husky liners throughout the entire car and love them!

Regarding material, both husky and weather tech mats/liners are made out of rubber like plastic for a reason: the will hold any liquids from runing your carpet.

Sounds like what you need it to buy a scrap piece of clean/new carpet and custom cut-it to fit your ex.

The WeatherTech cargo liners are awesome. Light as a feather, and fit perfectly. It's the first thing I get for all my cars.

I have husky liners throughout the entire car and love them!

Regarding material, both husky and weather tech mats/liners are made out of rubber like plastic for a reason: the will hold any liquids from runing your carpet.

Sounds like what you need it to buy a scrap piece of clean/new carpet and custom cut-it to fit your ex.

I think you're thinking right. I'd still get the liners and then cut a piece of carpet to go inside of it. Then your pets hair will be held onto something, but yet your Ex's carpet is protected against spills and accidents, and you can easily replace the piece of carpet laying on the top.

WeatherTech or Husky. I don't think you can go wrong with either brand. I have the Husky mats and cargo mat. The front mats cover a little more than the WeatherTechs. I have posted pictures previously on another thread. As for the cargo mat, I frequently take yard waste, including branches, to the local dump for composting and when unloaded, I simply slide the mat out, give it a couple of shakes, and slide it back in. Wouldn't be without it.

Welcome to the Forum Lhymes :wavey: Nice to have you aboard.:thumbsup:

Peter

Hey guys. Great input, thanks. Was kinda tired and not thinking straight this morn (dog practically dragged me outta bed lol). Based on the input, I'm going to go with some Husky liners and cut to fit some heavy duty carpeting a spray some abrasive on the back to prevent it from slipping around. I'll post the results once it's finished. Thanks!

Larry

Hey guys. Great input, thanks. Was kinda tired and not thinking straight this morn (dog practically dragged me outta bed lol). Based on the input, I'm going to go with some Husky liners and cut to fit some heavy duty carpeting a spray some abrasive on the back to prevent it from slipping around. I'll post the results once it's finished. Thanks!

Larry

Larry, make sure you use my group buy and order over the phone for the special pricing. About 50% off their online prices and free shipping.

Speak with Andrea Coleman.

WeatherTech or Husky. I don't think you can go wrong with either brand. I have the Husky mats and cargo mat. The front mats cover a little more than the WeatherTechs. I have posted pictures previously on another thread. As for the cargo mat, I frequently take yard waste, including branches, to the local dump for composting and when unloaded, I simply slide the mat out, give it a couple of shakes, and slide it back in. Wouldn't be without it.

Welcome to the Forum Lhymes :wavey: Nice to have you aboard.:thumbsup:

Peter

Does the OEM Explorer Cargo mat cover the same way the WT/Husley liners do?

Which is easier to roll/fold (when the need to use the third row arises) and tuck behind the third row, Huskey or WT?

I have owned both weather tech and now husky, weather tech was in a previous vehicle. Both are great, I lucked out on ebay with husky front, 2nd and rear cargo, almost brand new for 1/2 the MSRP price. Any new car we buy thats the first ting that is bought, I save the car mats that come with it and put them in when ready for trade.

Dogs, not only is the car mat, with carper inside a good idea, but also a barrier might be a suggestion, that way windows, sunroof can be left open for a quick stop...

Larry

Does the cargo liners that extend from the 2nd row seats to the hatch bend or conform when the 3rd row seats are upright? Or do you have to remove the cargo liner?

Does the cargo liners that extend from the 2nd row seats to the hatch bend or conform when the 3rd row seats are upright? Or do you have to remove the cargo liner?
I believe that would be a 'NO'. However, I think that given the flexibility of the mat you could probably roll it up and put it in the well behind the 3rd row. I haven't tried it myself. My cargo mat came rolled up in a box.

Peter

I believe that would be a 'NO'. However, I think that given the flexibility of the mat you could probably roll it up and put it in the well behind the 3rd row. I haven't tried it myself. My cargo mat came rolled up in a box.

Peter

Thanks... this has perked my interest. My only thought is if I have the 3rd row upright... what do I do with the mat? If I can roll it up, that would be great. This warrants a phone call to Husky...

Peter

Found this on a review of the WeatherTech option:

Shortly after my mom got her '07 Explorer, I bought the Cargo Liner from Ford. It was flimsy and ill-fitting. It didn't even fold up/down with the 3rd row seat. I decided to give WeatherTech a shot recently and ordered the Cargo Liner for her. It was available in tan to match the interior (Ford only offered black) and it is 2-pieces to accomdate the folding 3rd row seat. It's far better than the one Ford makes for their own vehicle...go figure! Now my sister wants one for her birthday...so I'll be ordering again!

I have a Weathertech rear mat. Works well for my German Shepherd. Not too hard,ot too slippery, easy to clean. Spepherds shed constantly but most of hair has stayed in the rear where I can easily clean it.
Biggest issue has been that he slobbers over the rear console. I finally covered it with a towel. But the console makes him feel like he is closer to me, as opposed to the bench seat.

Dave

Cool thanks for the info Dave! Yeah, my dog's a Belgian Shepherd mix. Might be over-thinking the situation. Will prob just go with a standard liner and see how it goes before worrying about carpet to catch the fur. One of my biggest reasons for rear bucket seats and console was to keep the puppy happy lol.

Found this on a review of the WeatherTech option:

Shortly after my mom got her '07 Explorer, I bought the Cargo Liner from Ford. It was flimsy and ill-fitting. It didn't even fold up/down with the 3rd row seat. I decided to give WeatherTech a shot recently and ordered the Cargo Liner for her. It was available in tan to match the interior (Ford only offered black) and it is 2-pieces to accomdate the folding 3rd row seat. It's far better than the one Ford makes for their own vehicle...go figure! Now my sister wants one for her birthday...so I'll be ordering again!

So the WeatherTech cargo liner folds up and down with the third seat? Can someone confirm this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Carpet will catch the fur & be less slippery for Fido, but is virtually impossible to really clean. Shepherd hair seems to weave its way into the carpet fibers. I previously had a Volvo XC-90. I covered the back floor with Weathertech mat but the sides of the back were that short napped fuzzy stuff (almost like felt). Even had it professionally cleaned & detailed but hair would not come out.

Dave

Back