IAMA New Explorer Owner... Ask Away | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

IAMA New Explorer Owner... Ask Away

Falcor00

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
I Am A [IAMA] New Ford Owner... just picked my 2012 Ecoboost Ford Explorer Limited with 301A package and bucket seat 2nd row w/console. I am going to provide a review on my buying process, dealership process, and initial impressions of the Vehicle Ride and Tech (Sync and MFT). I have taken some exterior pictures, but didn't take interior as the sun was setting and making for some awful interior pictures.

I didn't see another write up like this in the forums, if there is I apologize. This forum was and continues to be extremely useful in me finding this vehicle and staying up to date with updates/issues/concerns/joys. I would like to return the favor by providing my review and also answering any questions that forum readers may have here. In addition, happy to take picture requests for what readers want to see. I'm on at least once a day, however my time is limited today... review and pictures to come.....

Color: Exterior - Tuxedo Black / Interior - Medium Stone Gray

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome!

I too am a recent purchaser of an XLT AWD, White

Welcome. I hope you have as much enjoyment from your ex as I have.

How has your gas mileage been with the Ecoboost? I am debating between the 2 engines. Not planning on pulling anything.

I'll second the mileage request.

From what I have seen, the Ex struggles to consistently make its rated mpg.

I am spoiled by my current car that averages 10% higher mpg per tank than it is rated for highway only, and that's commuting 75 miles a day to and from downtown Houston in traffic. How I love summer gas.

I'll second the mileage request.

From what I have seen, the Ex struggles to consistently make its rated mpg.

I am spoiled by my current car that averages 10% higher mpg per tank than it is rated for highway only, and that's commuting 75 miles a day to and from downtown Houston in traffic. How I love summer gas.

I've put on 118 miles now, mostly city driving and I'm sitting at 18.8mpg. However, I did have a stretch of highway in there in which I reached 21.0. Nothing close to the 28mpg yet. However I was told by my salesguy at the dealer that it takes some time for new vehicles to break in and I should seem improvement in MPG. Take that for what it is.....

Hey guys... wayyy overdue here, apologies work has been keeping me crazy busy. I uploaded exterior pictures to shutterfly and then used their create a site feature which I think is pretty cool. Feel free to check it out. Again, my hope in doing this is educating those potential buys out there. Let me know if you want to see any pictures or videos. I will be posting interior pictures once the sunlight cooperates with me, sun was setting when I took these pictures and made horrible interior pictures.

http://2012fordexplorerlimited.shutterfly.com/

I have been at 18MPG with my EB. 2500 miles since 9/30. I got to 24 on first road trip day after delivery. I think it could hit the 28 mark after a while (I am also a lead foot) but city...I have yet to hit 19 on surface streets. Pretty disappointed (not a lead foot in the city). Sweet spot seems 76 for best MPG. Still breaking it in. First service is due soon. I am still skeptical if I made the right choice in getting mine...(which makes me sad kinda)

I have been at 18MPG with my EB. 2500 miles since 9/30. I got to 24 on first road trip day after delivery. I think it could hit the 28 mark after a while (I am also a lead foot) but city...I have yet to hit 19 on surface streets. Pretty disappointed (not a lead foot in the city). Sweet spot seems 76 for best MPG. Still breaking it in. First service is due soon. I am still skeptical if I made the right choice in getting mine...(which makes me sad kinda)

Yea I'm actually watching the MPG meter now halfway making a game about how well i can do. However sitting at 19.1 now with 170ish miles.... I don't think I made the wrong choice until I know what MPH the 6V is getting...

I'm a EB owner with 1500 miles and my mpg just keep getting better. I'm in Dallas(pretty flat) with a 32 mile commute both ways 3 days a week, with 70% highway, 30% city. Weekends it's 50/50. I'm average 24-26 on my last 2 tanks....26 being the most recent. I'm curious to see what the V6 would do with the same testing, but all in all, I'm really impressed. Don't worry about shelling out the extra cash for EB, since gas prices are only going to go up. Happy shopping for those looking at the EB.

I have the 6, with just over 6k miles. Overall average is 18.5. Last 2 tanks combined is 19.5.

Mostly city and traffic. Very little open highway.

I remember I filled up in far north Dallas, reset the monitor, and drove to south Fort Worth(all highway) and I was pinging 29mpg. I was really impressed.

I remember I filled up in far north Dallas, reset the monitor, and drove to south Fort Worth(all highway) and I was pinging 29mpg. I was really impressed.

Out of curiosity, have you determined how accurate your mpg readout is?

Out of curiosity, have you determined how accurate your mpg readout is?

I've tested it, and the computer is within 1/10 of a mpg.

Of course, the computer could be perfectly accurate, and the differences are related to when the pump shuts off the flow of gas.

I've tested it, and the computer is within 1/10 of a mpg.

Of course, the computer could be perfectly accurate, and the differences are related to when the pump shuts off the flow of gas.

That's pretty good. Mine is about 5% off predictably in my Legacy. I'm happy with that because it is amazingly consistent. If they only could have made it amazingly accurate! lol.

Just past 1000mi on my 2012 4x4 Limited (not EB), and I'm hovering around 18.8 in LA stop n' go tfc. It wants to go higher when on the open road but haven't gotten that chance for any period of time yet.

Back