Just ordered 2012 Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just ordered 2012 Limited

Cklenke

Reaction score
I just ordered my 2012 limited on Friday night. How long should I wait before I contact the dealer about a order number or vin number? I really would like to have it before Christmas but the dealer said with the holidays it may not be until the end of January. I have seen on this forum that some people are getting them in 4 weeks. I'm about 4 hours away from Chicago so hopefully with fingers crossed it will be here before Christmas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It think that a week should be enough time - but it took me over 3 weeks to get my dealer to respond to my request for the order number. I don't think they liked what I was planning on doing with it, so don't tell them you are going to use it to track the order!

Personally I would wait 2 weeks to make sure it has been generated, then go ask.

Thanks, I just talked to the dealer yesterday and they said that they received confirmation from the factory but did not give me the order #. I did however read somewhere that the last day to submit 2012 orders was 11/10. I just hope my order does not get canceled I really would like to have it by Christmas.

I had a very similar experience where they told me that they ordered it and the computer accepted it, but that they didn't get the DORA until some internal process happened. I don't know if that is true or not, but the sales manager didn't want to go look it up for me and finally got what I wanted using the sales rep's email.

As soon as you get that DORA send a PM to Cory. It certainly cleared up things for me very quickly.

Thanks, I just talked to the dealer yesterday and they said that they received confirmation from the factory but did not give me the order #. I did however read somewhere that the last day to submit 2012 orders was 11/10. I just hope my order does not get canceled I really would like to have it by Christmas.

If that is the last day, then don't sweat it - just means you are going to get a 2013 model and we'll be envious :)

If that is the last day, then don't sweat it - just means you are going to get a 2013 model and we'll be envious :)

Is that how it works? My order was submitted on Monday and apparently confirmed with no order number also. Would love to be surprised with a 2013 lol.

Production for the 2013's will start relatively early but dealers will not be receiving until March at the earliest, according to Cory on another post. Not really wanting to wait until March or later :(

Production for the 2013's will start relatively early but dealers will not be receiving until March at the earliest, according to Cory on another post. Not really wanting to wait until March or later :(

Yeah, I saw that too. Not really happy about having to wait if I need
to, but in the end, it is what it is and if we get squeezed into the
2012 queue, awesome. If we get moved to 2013 queue, at least we're some of the very first.

Just an update. Our orders will be made and will likely arrive in about a month's time. Don't have a VIN for mine yet, but order priority is 12, so should be really fast I general.

I'm in the same boat with you guys. Placed my order on 11/9. I haven't tried contacting my dealer yet about the DORA, but i figured i'd give it 14 days or so after the order. Here's hoping we magically get them before christmas, but i'm not holding my breath. And lets hope they are not doing anything with the 2013 to make us too jealous :)

Talked to sales guy earlier. I do a lot of computer work for everyone at the dealership including owner so we're all on a friend basis. They had received order confirmation with that info earlier today.

Talked to sales guy earlier. I do a lot of computer work for everyone at the dealership including owner so we're all on a friend basis. They had received order confirmation with that info earlier today.

Hope this may help you... I ordered 10/10/11 and took delivery on 11/12/11. Took ~ 1.5 week to get a vin number.

Update to my order that i placed on 11/9. I just talked to my dealer and he gave my my VIN and said that it appeared my X was scheduled to be built the week of Dec 1st. So with any luck i may have a shiny new christmas present come Dec 25th :)

Why don't you guys want a 2013?.......the 2012 is the same as the 2011 both had around a 6 month build cycle, but the 2013 should have some new stuff.

It'll be a while till they make many changes IMO. The new Explorer is still rather rare on the road and continues to turn heads. I'm sure for the next two to three years, there will be small additions here-and-there to keep peoples' attention (the lane-keeping tech in 2013, prob something like the fender-bender prevention found in the Volvo XC60 in 2014). I think the next big change will be when the V6 Ecoboost is finally ready for the Explorer (read somewhere that it won't be ready till 2015 or 2016 due to all the tweaking and testing needed). For me, lane-keeping is a whatever sorta thing and due to the popularity of the vehicle, they'll either sacrifice a feature to keep pricing down or bump price a bit. Another reason I don't care for the lane-keeping is it uses a camera in the rear-view mirror and that would probably be blocked if I used a BlendMount I think lol.

Put my VIN into the window sticker site this morning and voila, i now have my window sticker! It is being built on 12/1 as my salesman suspected. As an added bonus nothing looks wrong on it either, haha. It has the right colors and options. Looking more and more likely that i'll have it by xmas, hopefully Cory will be able to give me an estimated delivery date next week!

As a side note i probably would have waited to get the 2013 had i known they were going to be building that early. Unfortunately i put my order in the week before it was confirmed that they were going to start rolling off the lot in March. With as fast as mine got built though i am not regretting it very much, i would not have wanted to wait at least 4 more months.

I got our '11 ex in March... But if I was to buy one now, I would definetely wait until I can order a '13 at this point, especially if you are going to buy, think about re-sale value... In my case, coming March of 2012, our ex will be two MY's old

If you are leasing, then yes, I would not care '12 vs. '13...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As of Monday mine is awaiting shippment. Hopefully it will not be sitting much longer. Only has to travel 300 miles so should not take but a day or so to get here. Can't wait!!!!

Back