Extended Warranty - Did you get one? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Extended Warranty - Did you get one?

Earl Haffler

Reaction score
Am about to purchase a 2012 Limited. Did you fine folks get extended warranties on your vehicles? I normally do not, but with all the bells and whistles in it, i am nervous. If you did, was it from Ford or 3rd party and how did you play the game to get it. Thanks. This board has been great, sorry if this is posted somewhere else.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gonna skip the one offered by the dealer this time. Instead, gonna go with the one offered through Costco. Don't need to buy it up-front and way less potential run-around in my opinion.

I did. There was some run around at the dealership so they knocked $500 off which came to $2000 for 60k/5y. I normally do not either but with MFT, EB and everything else that can go wrong in that time I saw it pretty inexpensive in the long run. I got the package that also included maintanance (oil, brakes, hoses, etc).

I bought the Ford plan.
I bought it from the local dealer when they matched the best price I found on the web. I just took the web offers to them and they matched the lowest price.

I bought the Ford plan.
I bought it from the local dealer when they matched the best price I found on the web. I just took the web offers to them and they matched the lowest price.

Bought insurance from a dealership that is highly recommended on this site (just search for extended warranty and it won't be hard to find).

7y 100,000 Warrant. 1 Dar Car Rental, $50 Deductible $1240

Bought Ford Plan from Dealer after web shopping

I bought the Ford plan.

That's what I did as well. 6yr/100K I believe.

Make sure you get Ford's top tier plan and get the options for 1st day rental and 5 day rental. List is like $2,400, they offered $1,500....I shopped and got PDF of a quotation from an authorized dealer for $975 and told them to match within $100....my dealer matched it exactly @$975.
---updated- looks like the price was $1090 actually plus $135 for rental. -----

I purchased a 3rd party extended warranty 5yr/100,000 for about $2500-$2900. I forget the exact number. At first I wasn't going to get it but I fell for the Sales pitch and it sounded great at the time. So I went for it. I have buyers remorse because after reading through these forums it was cheaper getting it online but what's done is done. I'm over it, I just hope I never have to use the warranty.

I purchased a 3rd party extended warranty 5yr/100,000 for about $2500-$2900. I forget the exact number. At first I wasn't going to get it but I fell for the Sales pitch and it sounded great at the time. So I went for it. I have buyers remorse because after reading through these forums it was cheaper getting it online but what's done is done. I'm over it, I just hope I never have to use the warranty.

Cancel it and get your money back. If should get a prorated amount back, buy the Ford ESP for 1/3 of the cost and save money.

3rd parties are HEADACHES!! They require approval before any work can be performed and will require the cheapest part replacement available (not oem).

When I had my audi, I had a 3rd party and they wanted to replace my radiator with one from China to save $40. F THAT.. I paid the difference for a German OEM.

Ill be getting the 6yr/125k, 1st day rental, $50 ded for about $1,800

Cancel it and get your money back. If should get a prorated amount back, buy the Ford ESP for 1/3 of the cost and save money.

3rd parties are HEADACHES!! They require approval before any work can be performed and will require the cheapest part replacement available (not oem).

When I had my audi, I had a 3rd party and they wanted to replace my radiator with one from China to save $40. F THAT.. I paid the difference for a German OEM.

Ill be getting the 6yr/125k, 1st day rental, $50 ded for about $1,800

The cost of the warranty is part of my car loan, how would that work if I cancel it?

That's what I did as well. 6yr/100K I believe.

Make sure you get Ford's top tier plan and get the options for 1st day rental and 5 day rental. List is like $2,400, they offered $1,500....I shopped and got PDF of a quotation from an authorized dealer for $975 and told them to match within $100....my dealer matched it exactly @$975.

Which dealer quoted you $975? That sounds too good to believe for top of the line Ford warranty. I assume the 7 yrs starts at vehicle purchase date, not warranty purchase date.

I got the Ford ESP (Leasecare) through my dealer. $1175, 48 month/80,000km, no deductible and car rental. Couldn't be bothered to shop around and figured since I bought it through the dealer they may be more inclined to help if any disputes arise.

The cost of the warranty is part of my car loan, how would that work if I cancel it?

The warranty company will send you a check for the prorated difference.

Back