My Ford Touch - Rebuild PDF- Very detailed | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Ford Touch - Rebuild PDF- Very detailed

siagree.gif

Wish it would have just worked like it was supposed to, what a piece of crap.
I've been to the dealer four times already for the USB, and BT not working. Last time (four days ago) could not reboot, had to disconnect the battery to get it to work. Going in Sat.,...again. :rolleyes:

Im with you 100%

Dumbing it down to the lowest level user isn't what most owners wanted.

Faster response, better reliability/stability and the Navigation map system geo data thats up to date.

I want to push the heat seat button once and it responds immediately so I know its on. When I remote start my vehicle I want the SYNC/MFT to be already booted up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It looks like they have done what should have been done in the initial release - letting the graphics section render graphics and letting the processor process stuff. Duh. Suspending the system state so it doesn't cold boot each time. Double Duh.

The "improvements" are things that should have been in the initial release.

C'mon, Ford - gain some credibility by admitting the mistake. It looks like you've now fixed it. But trying to smoke us all with "performance upgrade" just makes you look like stupid PR people who think that we won't notice that this thing was rushed to market and poorly designed and inadequately tested. And when it failed, you were too far down the path to turn back.

Well, we noticed what you knew. And you've finally fixed it.

Worst of all would be if you didn't know of all these problems. If that was the case, you need some different people leading these efforts.

'Lets not put the cart before the horse'! What will we say if the NEW fix falls short...again? SYNC, not ready for prime time! :rolleyes:

It looks like they have done what should have been done in the initial release - letting the graphics section render graphics and letting the processor process stuff. Duh. Suspending the system state so it doesn't cold boot each time. Double Duh.

The "improvements" are things that should have been in the initial release.

C'mon, Ford - gain some credibility by admitting the mistake. It looks like you've now fixed it. But trying to smoke us all with "performance upgrade" just makes you look like stupid PR people who think that we won't notice that this thing was rushed to market and poorly designed and inadequately tested. And when it failed, you were too far down the path to turn back.

Well, we noticed what you knew. And you've finally fixed it.

Worst of all would be if you didn't know of all these problems. If that was the case, you need some different people leading these efforts.

Ford cannot upgrade your vehicle to a full Navigation system once purchased without. The full NAV system is integrated into the entire vehicle at factory and is not a simple add on unfortunately.

Also, you can add up to 10 smart phones to your MFT. The phone system connects via bluetooth, so youll obviously need a BT capable phone to connect. If you have one just go to settings> bluetooth devices> add phone. Very Simple, and MFT will recognize which phone enters the vehicle when you start the ignition. If both phones are in the vehicle, it will connect to whichever one is set as your default aka Favorite. in this case, your wife's.

Thanks for the reply, I guess my comments were not clear. I already have navigation built into my entire vehicle, I just don't have the maps which should be a simple update or hardware swap.

I was asking about adding additional phones to the online account at myfordsync. I have no problem adding them to the mft in vehicle. The problem is I cannot use any of the sync features with any phone except the primary one on the sync account.

Thanks for the reply, I guess my comments were not clear. I already have navigation built into my entire vehicle, I just don't have the maps which should be a simple update or hardware swap.

You either have SYNC based navigation or Navigation. Navigation comes with maps. Two totally different systems. Navigation built in. Whereas Sync uses your phone and the web site.
Hope this helps.

According to several sources all the hardware is there, it just needs the SD card and for it to be activated.

Ford has said several times you can't add it afterward but it seems there original intention was to be able to add it later.

Many believe they put they way on the back burner until they can get MFT right.

As far as adding more phones to your Sync account I added a second number to mine, but not sure if it works, the way it reads is that you can only have 1 phone that actually works, which is dumb.

QUOTE="jcerrion"]

Ford cannot upgrade your vehicle to a full Navigation system once purchased without. The full NAV system is integrated into the entire vehicle at factory and is not a simple add on unfortunately.

.[/QUOTE]

According to several sources all the hardware is there, it just needs the SD card and for it to be activated.

Ford has said several times you can't add it afterward but it seems there original intention was to be able to add it later.

jcerrion said:

I don't know who your sources are, but no one has been able to do that yet (get factory nav working on a non-nav equipped vehicle).

In a pinch, Sync navigation is OK - but with all the smartphones out there, why would you bother? Most new smartphones have built in navigation vs. Sync which used up your cell plan minutes, and ties up your phone when navigating - not to mention the crummy speed of re-routing information, and its reliance on your cellphone for GPS data anyhow.

I chose the low tech approach and bought a cheap Garmin Nuvi. Great navigation, lifetime maps included with the unit I bought, and it doesn't slow down MFT. :thumbsup:

Sorry, should have been more clear, was responding from my phone specifically in regard to the post about the equipment needing to be integrated.

All the equipment is apparently there, but needs to be activated. What I meant by that is that Ford needs to enable it, which it has said it will not and that it is not available unless you comes from the factory.

I prefer built in Nav for several reasons and people have their preferences. Some people are good with a smart phone, some prefer something different.

I have posted in another thread that I think a smartphone app that works through sync would be awesome. several aftermarket companies are doing that. I believe JVC and Kenwood have some thing that works with DriveTime or something like that.

here is another thread on the issue.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327367

back to the point of all the equipment being there. It is discussed in the link I posted to and you can read in these articles, one specifically from Ford.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2367161,00.asp

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=31704

personally I am really hoping that when they get the MFT stuff worked out they will allow people to upgrade to Nav even if it didn't come with it originally.

I don't know who your sources are, but no one has been able to do that yet (get factory nav working on a non-nav equipped vehicle).

In a pinch, Sync navigation is OK - but with all the smartphones out there, why would you bother? Most new smartphones have built in navigation vs. Sync which used up your cell plan minutes, and ties up your phone when navigating - not to mention the crummy speed of re-routing information, and its reliance on your cellphone for GPS data anyhow.

I chose the low tech approach and bought a cheap Garmin Nuvi. Great navigation, lifetime maps included with the unit I bought, and it doesn't slow down MFT. :thumbsup:

back to the point of all the equipment being there. It is discussed in the link I posted to and you can read in these articles, one specifically from Ford.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2367161,00.asp

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=31704

The necessary hardware is there, however the ROM's for MFT are custom built from your vehicle specifications. The navi portion of the MFT software is not present in a ROM for a non-navi vehicle. Simply inserting the SD card will not enable navigation on MFT, it would need to be flashed from the factory that way.

This is verified by some people getting back their cars from dealership after MFT upgrades and having no navi present. The dealership omitted the VIN when downloading the ROM from Ford's servers, and got the generic ROM with no Navi support.

This isn't to say they shouldn't offer it as an aftermarket upgrade, just that it's not as simple as flipping a switch. It would require updating all MFT related databases with your VIN and the new options, as well as flashing the vehicle with an updated ROM supporting the new features/options.

---edit
after reading further it may very well be a flag that enables/disables navigation, the ROM may have it present and flagged disabled, interesting. This could leave the door open on the update to hackers enabling navi ;)

I kinda recall that Rebecca had said something that the necessary parts are there, and it was a software limitation. She mildly hinted that future versions might be able to offer the upgrade path.

I wonder if any of this will help the poor audio performance and the "cutting out (back)" that the volume does at high volume levels. Im seriously disappointed that the highes volume level in this thing doesnt even come to half the volume level my 5 year old Escalade had. It sounds clear, but you can tell they are digitally choking back the overall volume.

I wonder if any of this will help the poor audio performance and the "cutting out (back)" that the volume does at high volume levels. Im seriously disappointed that the highes volume level in this thing doesnt even come to half the volume level my 5 year old Escalade had. It sounds clear, but you can tell they are digitally choking back the overall volume.

You know... I noticed that as well. What type of transmission (HD, Radio, Sirius) makes a HUGE difference too. I still can't figure out why 'stereo' is set from the factory over 'surround'.

Below taken from another thread.

09-15-2011, 10:15 AM #24
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep
Dearborn, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by new to ford
Rebecca, one question, is it a software limitation?, meaning that the NAV option is "locked-out" or is the MFT "brain" physically different with and without NAV?
In my mind, all the hardware is there, just the "NAV" option is lock-ed out in the software since we did not agree to pay $700.00 for that option
Maybe non-NAV MFT is missing actual hardware, like a GPS antenna?
Just curious, I'm not trying to get something for nothing...

Yes, it's a software configuration issue, not hardware. Due to the programming/coding that is required, it doesn't have "off-the-shelf" functionality. One limitation is that the module has some licensing that has to be activated at the time of build.

If we do decide to offer it as an add-on in the future, we will make our customers aware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredridge
Here are a few things, some of them are just basic structural stuff.

Thanks for listening and trying to improve these things

I submitted your ideas

Rebecca

Back