How To: Install aftermarket sub with stock enclosure in non-factory sub 2nd Gen Ex | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Install aftermarket sub with stock enclosure in non-factory sub 2nd Gen Ex

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, that's the one. $550? F that noise... :D

great write up. My 2000 mounty came with the factory sub, but I am going to be changing it to the jl audio w1 and the ssl 2F400 set up. What size wiring kit did you use for that ssl amp? It appears to be an 8 gauage set up.

Yep- I used the Planet Audio 8 gauge kit...

thank you for the info JD!!!

Been reading this thread and after looking at so many threads, I might of missed the post, but I'm gonna post it anyways. I have a factory 8" sub and have a factory amp and am wanting to install a 8" kicker sub and wondering if just a simple swap will do?

Depends on the mounting depth of the Kicker. Other than the amp being a little light on power, it should work.

Dione-

Thanks for offering up the Stealthbox, but there are 2 issues...

1) For sale items are only to be in the for sale subforum so as not to clog up the other threads

2) No selling unless you have an Elite membership. But, the link to do so is towards the top of the page under the banner...

Welcome to the forum!

Ok, My swap in of the JL sub is done. I used the black wire for positive. WHne the base hits, is the speaker supposed to move in or does it move out? when I put a bassy song on it looks like it pushes the speaker outward when the bass hits. I alway though is was supposed to pull it in? ????

Ok, My swap in of the JL sub is done. I used the black wire for positive. WHne the base hits, is the speaker supposed to move in or does it move out? when I put a bassy song on it looks like it pushes the speaker outward when the bass hits. I alway though is was supposed to pull it in? ????

Black "is" positive. If you connect the positive speaker wire to the + on a 9 volt battery and the negative speaker wire to the - on the same battery the speaker will push outward. I did this to prove the black was positive in my case. And sure enough when connected correctly you speaker will pound outward unless the song calls for reverse bass.

well I am getting ready to do the jl swap. today I took the box out and replaced the stuffing in the box with poly fill.

Depends on the mounting depth of the Kicker. Other than the amp being a little light on power, it should work.

Went to Best Buy and the only wiring kit they had is the one that bypasses the amp. The Metra 70-5514. So kinda pointless for me to install the sub and to pick up a amp as well as of right now unless you guys know of another wiring kit that i can get that will keep the amp in the loop.

Joe,
I got the same JL 8" sub (8W1v2-4)for the 2000 enclosure. Guess what? The speaker is too deep for the enclosure! :rolleyes:

The sub came with a ring that sits on top of the speaker. I placed it underneath instead, and it lifted the speaker so the magnet doesn't hit the back of the enclosure. Perfect shim. :) You can see the ring in Joe's picture here.

IMG_2559.jpg

Any who..What did you guys use to bolt an amp to the enclosure? Mine doesn't come close to matching any of the stock bolt holes. Bolts with lock washer & nut, or self tapping bolts just to the plastic itself? :scratch:

Self Tapping Screws worked just fine for me.

Self Tapping Screws worked just fine for me.

Rodger that. That's what I ended up using. :thumbsup:

All I need now is to run the positive wire from the battery, the RCA's & remote wire from the head unit, and slap this thing in there. :)

I decided to Dyno-Mat and change the 5x7's out for 6x9's, seemed like a good idea at the time (last year). Cold took all the fun out of finishing...

Also self tappers. I only used 3 screws since the amp didn't use the 4th as the bracket was past the plastic housing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do u have a diff sub box that the JL doesnt fit? Pic of the box looks the same as the one I have. I had to remove mine trying to troubleshoot some issues, plenty of room in the stock box. Main reason I went with the JL (thanks to Joe). Not sure if your grille will fit over the extended woofer?

Back