• Register Today It's free!

Parking brake

jaydez

Reaction score
City, State
Hartford County, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT V6 4x4
When I apply my parking brake the my explorer still rolls forward a bit after I take my food off the brakes. Is this normal? I used to drive a Super Duty for work that did the same thing so I'm not sure.

I'm guessing I need to tighten the parking brake though.

When I apply my parking brake the my explorer still rolls forward a bit after I take my food off the brakes. Is this normal?>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

No, it is not normal to still roll in either direction after you apply the parking brake and it will fail a state vehicle inspection in that condition.

>>>>>>>>I'm guessing I need to tighten the parking brake though>>>>>>>>>

Better check the condition of the parking brakes/shoes first if you haven't already and then attempt to tighten them up. You will need to tap or drill out the adjustment hole/plug thru the backing plate Ford mysteriously left plugged up from the factory. In years past, they always built vehicles with a pre-tapped adjustment hole for the parking brake and it came with the rubber grommet already in place. From what I read in here about drilling out this adjustment hole plug, is it is a PITA to do and you will need to buy a "rubber grommet" to plug up the new hole you drilled out in the backing plate when done. The adjustment hole plug in the backing plate is located behind the "star wheel" adjustment bolt area. Better spray up the star wheel bolt with "PB Blaster" prior to attempting an adjustment, most likely it's frozen up from rust and if you have to take it apart to clean off the rust or break them free, use "anti-zeize lube" on the bolt threads of the star wheel when putting it back together so that doesn't happen again.

As mentioned it may merely be an adjustment.

It could also be the brake shoe media becoming unbonded from the metal shoe backing/bracket. This is very common. Time to pull the wheel off.

Back