Double your pleasure... DIY Doubler! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Double your pleasure... DIY Doubler!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I have started the process myself, and it is looking promising so far, but, I need to tear down the 1350 Mshift to get the rear housing out of the way so that I can actually see how close the shafts are to "splining" together. I can "almost" get them to go together, but something is not wanting to co-operate, hence the reason for the pull apart. Hopefully, I will know more later tonight.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I have started the process myself, and it is looking promising so far, but, I need to tear down the 1350 Mshift to get the rear housing out of the way so that I can actually see how close the shafts are to "splining" together. I can "almost" get them to go together, but something is not wanting to co-operate, hence the reason for the pull apart. Hopefully, I will know more later tonight.

That 'something' is probably a spline. The output shaft has 26 splines, the t-case input is 25 spline, so they're not gonna fit together (sorry).

Hmmmmm.... I to would like to see this tear/down build up. :popcorn:

I am interested, checking back every so often, hoping someone would post a clue as to what that is without me having to look dumb and ask well I just let that out of the bag. Looks good.

i hope you're kidding but its a transmission doubler well t-case doubler, it doubles your gear ratio.

now... what about that build thread. i have seen some people do it but needed some machine work done. so lets see it. antibiotics and back to work.

That's annoying.

That 'something' is probably a spline. The output shaft has 26 splines, the t-case input is 25 spline, so they're not gonna fit together (sorry).

Well, that settles that then. Thanks for saving me the tear down, Junkie. I thought about just counting the splines myself, but, I figured that it would actually work, as I have done this with the Xcases out of several jeeps/S series. Those actually DO stack together. You simply need to find a way to connect them together.

Jeff, why do you have to take it apart? Hopefully you will have time to show us when things slow down. Hope everyone is healthy and you have a great Christmas.

This thread makes baby Jesus cry.

I like to picture Jesus as a figure skater. He wears like a white outfit, and He does interpretive ice dances of my life's journey.

Sorry guys...been busy as hell and havent slowed down at work yet... It's still in my truck, I havent pulled it out to tear it down and show the build up. A little info...the pump is retained in the doubler, that is how it oils. I use two crossmembers because it is too much torque for just one in either position. I used the extension housing to make it easier to bolt up and remove for on-trail accidents...I just carry the original driveshafts and if something breaks all you have to do is remove the doubler and reattach the main case, replace the driveshafts with the originals and away you go (minus the double low range). I used the back 6 inches or so of an A4LD 4x4 output shaft and welded it to the back 6 inches or so of the manual 1350 rear output shaft...but I machined the hollow part of the 1350 shaft to accept the A4LD shaft as a press fit (the A4LD shaft has splines for a clutch drum where the two press together=tight, splined fit and welded). The 1350 case has to be cut off and have a small piece of aluminum welded to it to seal the left side. I will try to do this between Christmas and New Years, but no promises since I have to help a buddy of mine to the timing belt in his Volvo XC90 in his garage sometime very soon. Hang in there...more to come!

oh man!

you are a tease!

but some info is better than no info!

good to see you are still above water! LOL

Thanks for taking the time to get back to us! We all know how busy people can get this time of year, so thanks again for NOT forgetting us. Looks like I am going to be trying to get the A4 back from the 'yard that I left it at for more parts than just the tailhousing now.
Merry Christmas y'all!!!

Insta-boner.

Bump

Sub Scribed

Subscribing... Can't wait to see how this can be done in a explorer... Makes me itch just thinking about it...(free bump, can't let this go too far back)

..It's almost leap year..:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just got rid of my spare manual T-case because it sat for a year waiting on me to build a doubler. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back