My Fog Light Bezels Meet Bondo Restore Black | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Fog Light Bezels Meet Bondo Restore Black

BigRondo

USMC 1371
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Charlestown, RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Escape SE
My front end is looking pretty shabby as you can see:

picture.php

It's been like that ever since I bought it back in Feb, 2010. I'm working on fixing up the front end. So far I have gotten the fog light bezels & lower valance, thanks to Kazer!, and the tow hooks, thanks to NHarris!

I plan on making the whole front bumper black and got the idea for using Bondo Restore Black from this thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292760

BondoRestoreBlackCustom.jpg

I got the restore black at wally world for $10. I will let you know how long it lasts. It was real easy to apply.

The bezels before:

BezelsBeforeCustom.jpg

The bezels after:

BezelsAfterCustom.jpg

The restore black comes with a pretty big applicator, so I used some foam brushes I got at wally world. I got the assortment pack so I would have all different sizes when I apply the restore black to the bumpers & trim:

BrushesCustom.jpg

The instructions say it will last for six months. I'll let you know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

HOw was it to put on Rondo Ive been looking at the same thing. I was hoping some one else would post about it so I could ask about it

HOw was it to put on Rondo Ive been looking at the same thing. I was hoping some one else would post about it so I could ask about it

It went on very easy. I applied 2 coats. I let it dry completely for 24 hours before applying the 2nd coat.

Guess I will be giving it a shot also. Thanks again. We are still working on that new Gen 3

Yes we are! :D
>>>>>>>>>>>>>

BR,
just curious here. When you bought your Explorer, was it one of those rebuildable vehicles collision shops sell off to people or just one that had some front end damage the previous owner didn't want to bother with? BTW, nice job on the fog light covers, big difference before and after.

I saw that on the clearance rack for 7bux and decided to get the black bumper paint instead from Duplicolor for 5 and change thinking it might last longer...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

BR,
just curious here. When you bought your Explorer, was it one of those rebuildable vehicles collision shops sell off to people or just one that had some front end damage the previous owner didn't want to bother with? BTW, nice job on the fog light covers, big difference before and after.

The previous owner trashed it and only fixed it enough to make it legal to drive. That's ok because I got a great deal and love a challenge.

those bezels came out nice! are you going to do the valance piece too?

looking forward to another one of your excellent write-ups on applying the Bondo to the trim pieces

:popcorn: :thumbsup:

those bezels came out nice! are you going to do the valance piece too?

looking forward to another one of your excellent write-ups on applying the Bondo to the trim pieces

:popcorn: :thumbsup:

Steve, I am going to do the valance too. And there will be a write-up when I do the trim. Might not be until the spring due to the weather. Stay tuned!!

I saw that on the clearance rack for 7bux and decided to get the black bumper paint instead from Duplicolor for 5 and change thinking it might last longer...

You are probably right about the paint lasting longer. I am going this route because I am lazy and don't really have any place to do the paint. Time will tell if I made the correct choice.......................

The previous owner trashed it and only fixed it enough to make it legal to drive. That's ok because I got a great deal and love a challenge.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thats kind of what I figured since I see you work on it a lot and you were looking for front end parts for it. I guess you could call your current fix for the fog lamp bezels "Rondo meets Bondo"!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thats kind of what I figured since I see you work on it a lot and you were looking for front end parts for it. I guess you could call your current fix for the fog lamp bezels "Rondo meets Bondo"!

That's a good one!!

You are probably right about the paint lasting longer. I am going this route because I am lazy and don't really have any place to do the paint. Time will tell if I made the correct choice.......................
LOL I just mask the surrounding areas and start spraying, the first time I did it I used bedliner and it looked great for like 1 day :( so I had to sand it off and use krylon.
For the other truck, I'm going to use the Duplicolor one, let's see how it works

Does it come in gray or just black?

Thanks for the writeup, will pick this up next trip to WallyWorld. Wonder if it will work on peices sprayed with Bedliner. Had my step bars sandblasted, epoxy primered, and sprayed with Bedliner. Bedliner fades after a few years, wouldnt mind trying this product on them (along with valence etc).

LOL I just mask the surrounding areas and start spraying, the first time I did it I used bedliner and it looked great for like 1 day :( so I had to sand it off and use krylon.
For the other truck, I'm going to use the Duplicolor one, let's see how it works

Standing by for pics........................:popcorn:

Does it come in gray or just black?

As far as I know the stuff I used, Bondo Restore Black, only comes in black.

Thanks for the writeup, will pick this up next trip to WallyWorld. Wonder if it will work on peices sprayed with Bedliner. Had my step bars sandblasted, epoxy primered, and sprayed with Bedliner. Bedliner fades after a few years, wouldnt mind trying this product on them (along with valence etc).

Looking forward to how you make out.

From the front of the box:
Restores black color to faded vinyl, rubber and plastic surfaces. Lasts up to 6 months.

From the back of the box:
Bondo Restore Black puts the black luster back into your bedliner, tires, trim, and bumpers for up to 6 months. Professionally restore the black color in minutes while protecting against damage caused by environmental elements.

Just a quick update. I installed the bezels, along with tow hooks, lower center grille, and lower valance on July 8th and the restore black is holding up really well. Here is how they looked the day I put them on:

FrontBumperAfterCustom.jpg

I will get a current picture and post it up.

Still have not found this stuff! Looked a few times at Walmart.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe try the auto parts stores? :dunno:

I find it at Wally World in the automotive "body work" section with the body filler, etc.

Back