HELP: Temp gauge / Coolant / Heat Issue! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP: Temp gauge / Coolant / Heat Issue!

dsturch1

Reaction score
City, State
Pennington, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 4.0 XLT & 98 5.0 XLT
Alright everyone anyyyy help at all will be greatly appreciated at this point. I have a 98 with the 5.0L and I was on my way to work this morning and my coolant was fluctuating between the normal operating range, and about 3/4 of the way up. As I was driving my heat would be hot while in the normal range, and then it would get cold as the gauge went up...as soon as the gauge came back down the heat would get hot.

This was happening last night but I was hoping to not have to worry about it until after work today, but then as I was driving - my gauge went up and did not come back down. I stopped at a gas station and picked up some coolant and filled up the overflow tank and then continued on my way to work however the gauge went right back up to hot. Also - the truck was not smoking at all so I am hesitant to think its a headgasket type problem.

I did notice some coolant dripping when I stopped, is it possible I could fill the radiator when it cools down and this is what the problem is??? :rolleyes: Also if it helps by knowing, the heater core was replaced last winter, so I am kind of doubting that is the culprit.

Alright everyone anyyyy help at all will be greatly appreciated at this point. I have a 98 with the 5.0L and I was on my way to work this morning and my coolant was fluctuating between the normal operating range, and about 3/4 of the way up. As I was driving my heat would be hot while in the normal range, and then it would get cold as the gauge went up...as soon as the gauge came back down the heat would get hot.

This was happening last night but I was hoping to not have to worry about it until after work today, but then as I was driving - my gauge went up and did not come back down. I stopped at a gas station and picked up some coolant and filled up the overflow tank and then continued on my way to work however the gauge went right back up to hot. Also - the truck was not smoking at all so I am hesitant to think its a headgasket type problem.

I did notice some coolant dripping when I stopped, is it possible I could fill the radiator when it cools down and this is what the problem is??? :rolleyes: Also if it helps by knowing, the heater core was replaced last winter, so I am kind of doubting that is the culprit.
You had better get some coolant into the radiator right away. You very well could have done some irrepairable damage already. Fill the radiator, run the engine for a little while,watching theheat gauge. Shut off the engine, and refill the radiator if needed. Be sure the overflow tank has coolant in it. Do not fill overflow tank full when engine is cool. A little over the COLD FILL level is OK. Keep an eye on the temp gauge and the coolant reservoir ( over flow tank). Do not let the reservoir get empty.

Does this sound like it could be what was going on? I am just very apprehensive because I have an hour ride home from work and dont want to wind up stranded!

Does this seem like it could just be a lack of coolant issue as opposed to maybe a stat, or HG issue?

Back