How to: Explorer LED Interior swap + Puddle Lamps DIY | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Explorer LED Interior swap + Puddle Lamps DIY

I still have no solution to the 3rd row dome light or a better than dremel the puddle lights open, but I finally replaced the glove box light too. It's pretty straight forward.
It is doable by simply pulling the original bulb out and replacing it with the LED because there is no housing restricting access to the bulb. However, I found it very impractical and frustrating to try it that way, so I ended up taking out the assembly, which will pop out if you push on it from the back and do some picking around it from the bottom with a Gerber or flathead or whatever. Once it's out, disconnect the assembly from the cable and you can hold it in your hand and see what you're doing. Simple swap out the bulbs and re-assemble in reverse order.

photo4.jpg

In this picture you can see the assembly that you can pop out.

photo5.jpg

is there a glove box light? what model do you have?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To answer the above question, I have the LTD which has a glove box light.

About those LED sets, you can find many different stores online. I personally bought mine from the Lightdepot in Toronto, but that's just because I'm in Canada. Prices vary about. About more details, read my earlier posts in this thread. It's definitely an easy DIY mod and looks great! I would recommend it to anyone.

About those LED sets, you can find many different stores online. I personally bought mine from the Lightdepot in Toronto, but that's just because I'm in Canada. Prices vary about. About more details, read my earlier posts in this thread. It's definitely an easy DIY mod and looks great! I would recommend it to anyone.

oh ok thanks. ill take a look and see if maybe the wiring is there in my XLT.

Thanks for the info guys, but has anyone actually changed the 3rd row led (yellow) to a brighter white led? And if so how did you go about changing it, thanks

Well sad to say, no fix for the 3rd row light staying on, the dealer replaced my gem and still the same issue. Some days its works great, some its stays on....we need a electrical engineer input!

thanks for the write up... i replaced the map light with two 5-led bulbs and much brighter and a much whiter light.

i was going to go with the 9-led up front like you did but someone mentioned they are long enough to touch the clear cover and i rather it not... personal preference but i would imagine the 9-led to be overkill.

i actually found the 5-led to be bright enough... borderline too bright and maybe too white... because i want the brighter light to illuminate the car more when needed... but i also dont want people 50 yards away to be able to see inside when on.

i would almost want to find some type of film apply on the inside of the clear lense to diffuse the light and soften the light just a tad.

I did the replacment of the lights yesterday night...
It looks so great!

only the problem with the 3rd row light is open, in this case I disconnect the Bulb :)

Does somebody change the lights on the Vanity Mirrors?

if somebody have more informations please let me know

Stoev

Thanks for the info guys, but has anyone actually changed the 3rd row led (yellow) to a brighter white led? And if so how did you go about changing it, thanks

Would like to know about the 3rd row LED as well. Is there a white LED bulb out there that can be soldered onto the board?

Would like to know about the 3rd row LED as well. Is there a white LED bulb out there that can be soldered onto the board?
This is what I want to know. Im pretty sure I can just pop off the ugly yellow ones and solder a nice yellow one. I asked my bro who is an electrician im waiting for a response and ill experiment on my lights and post a write up. They sell those tiny leds online and at some radio shacks.
I just wanted to make sure if anyone has found an easier way to do this before I start taking apart boards and melting things.:p:

This is what I want to know. Im pretty sure I can just pop off the ugly yellow ones and solder a nice yellow one. I asked my bro who is an electrician im waiting for a response and ill experiment on my lights and post a write up. They sell those tiny leds online and at some radio shacks.
I just wanted to make sure if anyone has found an easier way to do this before I start taking apart boards and melting things.:p:

Yea, my brother-in-law is an electrical engineer. was going to ask him to give it a try if I can find a light to replace it with. I currently have these in the map lights and license plate lights: http://www.amazon.com/5-SMD-White-H...utomotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1325259487&sr=1-1-fkmr0

Like the slight blueish color and is definitely bright enough for me. I don't know enough about LEDs, but I'm guessing the 3rd row LED needs to be a powerful bulb since there is only one on the circuit board? I've done a ton of searching on this and i haven't found anyone who has been able to modify it. Let us know what you find out. I'm also still waiting for vleds to restock the puddle lamp LEDs :/

I have now changed out all interior lights to LED, MINUS the 3rd row dome light (i've got moon roof).

Lights changed:
x2 map lights
x2 2nd row lights
x2 license plate lights
x1 glove box
x2 visor mirror (led is a little to bright, I plan on using wax paper or something to dim it)
x2 puddle lights (in side mirrors)*required me to dremel housing but was very easy and only took 3-4mins/each. Then I used auto/marine silicone to reseal unit
x2 fogs (piaa plasma yellow)
x2 halogen headlights (HID 35w 6k 9005 from VLEDs)
Car is looking much better, like ford should have sold it in the first place. I've run across one issue which seems like some are having anyway.

When i close my doors, it takes about 1-2 mins for all my lights to turn off except for my 3rd row dome light which stays on for 10mins. I know this is supposed to be normal but mine didn't start doing that until I changed out the normal bulbs to LEDs.

Before then it (3rd row dome) would turn off with the rest of the lighting in 1-2 mins. I'm wondering if I should add some "load resistors?" not sure if that's what it's called. Also the button on the 3rd row also doesn't turn off the light like it did before. Has anyone installed these or have any experience with them?

Are all these bulbs
x2 map lights
x2 2nd row lights
x2 license plate lights
x1 glove box
x2 visor mirror

size 194?

So I looked into replacement of second and third row leds, but it doesn't look good. I consulted 3 people and a specialty shop who are familiar with leds and replacements but they all recommend not doing a switch because the soldering would be very difficult. The leds are soldered underneath the led, which isn't the problem, the issue is that it is a layered circuit board so getting to the soldered back portion is impossible. Ill add some pics. I have no sunroof.

2nd row
385076_10150472859417309_681782308_8870402_2090670891_n.jpg

389521_10150472858962309_681782308_8870399_338826194_n.jpg

back side of the two LED 2nd row
381304_10150472861062309_681782308_8870411_383916215_n.jpg

386181_10150472859707309_681782308_8870403_632087149_n.jpg

397680_10150472860757309_681782308_8870408_1045623417_n.jpg

3rd row
401683_10150472858377309_681782308_8870396_167075552_n.jpg

3rd row back
385100_10150472860477309_681782308_8870406_2085511639_n.jpg

sorry for all the pics, tried to get all the serial numbers in case anyone needed them for future reference.
Seems to me only solution for now is to find a replacement part with white leds, which isn't very likely.

Appreciate the follow up on the 2rd and 3rd row lights. And yes, it's not looking good :( I haven't taken mine apart yet to show my brother in-law, but based on your pics it looks like a lost cause. I love the look of the LEDs I've installed everywhere else, but it looks kinda crappy having two different shades of light in the interior. Hopefully someone comes up with a solution for these soon!

Why not just replace the 3rd row light with one from the new Focus?

Why not just replace the 3rd row light with one from the new Focus?

Are they white? and im assuming since you bring this up, they are the same part?

also i thought about this before but with the edge. never been inside one but i figured they might have the same light but it would have to be white.

and this isnt a real solution for people who want specific shades of white or blue.

Are they white? and im assuming since you bring this up, they are the same part?

also i thought about this before but with the edge. never been inside one but i figured they might have the same light but it would have to be white.

and this isnt a real solution for people who want specific shades of white or blue.

I actually just checked fordparts.com and the Focus has the same part number for the dome light and looks like it's the LED as well. Checked the Edge and it appears the Edge uses the same part number, but the light isn't LED. Maybe the Focus uses a wht/blueish LED...OR we could use the Edge housing and change the bulb to LED.

I believe some Focus' have a white interior light option.

I actually just checked fordparts.com and the Focus has the same part number for the dome light and looks like it's the LED as well. Checked the Edge and it appears the Edge uses the same part number, but the light isn't LED. Maybe the Focus uses a wht/blueish LED...OR we could use the Edge housing and change the bulb to LED.

I know when I was buying my Explorer, there was a plain-jane Focus and it had the same type of light. When I turned it on it was a white/blueish type light.

That's weird though, because when I looked at the Edge it looked like a different housing; almost like it had three or four bulbs with two switches.

I believe some Focus' have a white interior light option.

I know when I was buying my Explorer, there was a plain-jane Focus and it had the same type of light. When I turned it on it was a white/blueish type light.

That's weird though, because when I looked at the Edge it looked like a different housing; almost like it had three or four bulbs with two switches.

I think you are right about the Edge. It does have the same part number, but it doesn't look like its the same style housing on the picture. Any one out there with a newer Focus that can confirm if the LED is pure white or does is have a slight blue tint? And if you are really nice...take the lens off and see if the bulb can be replaced. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Broheim said:
I think you are right about the Edge. It does have the same part number, but it doesn't look like its the same style housing on the picture. Any one out there with a newer Focus that can confirm if the LED is pure white or does is have a slight blue tint? And if you are really nice...take the lens off and see if the bulb can be replaced. Thanks!

::joins focus forums::

Back