Glove box door rattle/squeak | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Glove box door rattle/squeak

Please pictures would assist, Peterk9, im almost there! I climbed i upside down under the dash, found some screws to adjust the hinge (mine is off slightly (higher on the left/lower on the right). looks much better (sorry didnt take pics of the before or after). You know upside down, im only doing that once! Ill let you know tomorrow if this worked.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Please pictures would assist, Peterk9, im almost there! I climbed i upside down under the dash, found some screws to adjust the hinge (mine is off slightly (higher on the left/lower on the right). looks much better (sorry didnt take pics of the before or after). You know upside down, im only doing that once! Ill let you know tomorrow if this worked.
I had this probem wth my Highlander but not with my Explorer. However, given the number of posts about it, I'm sure the others will be waiting to see if this works. Appreciate the effort. That is what makes this Forum so great, people willing to help others. I hope you had a phone nearby in case you got stuck.:D
Looking forward to hearing the results. Wishing you and yours a very Happy New Year from the great white North. :chug::dpchug:

Peter

I had this probem wth my Highlander but not with my Explorer. However, given the number of posts about it, I'm sure the others will be waiting to see if this works. Appreciate the effort. That is what makes this Forum so great, people willing to help others. I hope you had a phone nearby in case you got stuck.:D
Looking forward to hearing the results. Wishing you and yours a very Happy New Year from the great white North. :chug::dpchug:

Peter

Will do, same to you, Peter :chug::chug::chug::chug:

I too have had a noisy glove box door. I tried adding a washer behind the rubber bumper on each side with little or no change. I then tried weather stripping in various locations with no results. I put a cloth at various places along the inside of the door on the left side. Several times the rattle stopped. It seemed that when there was something in the path of the switch that the rattle stopped. So, I put about a 6" piece of electrical tape on the door vertically so that the switch would hit it. (It's a little difficult to tell exactly where the switch contacts the door.) Guess what? No more rattle. I also sprayed the switch with some electrical tuner/lubricant spray just in case. I then drove over offending roads plus railroad tracks. SILENT!
Hope this helps. Please reply with your results.

Seems to be a common problem that I hope has been addressed in the 2016 models.

My fix for this issue was to apply two foam approximately 1/8" thick pads to the inside where the rubber bulbs on the door meet the wall. Made the glove door more snug and no more rattle.

My fix for this issue was to apply two foam approximately 1/8" thick pads to the inside where the rubber bulbs on the door meet the wall. Made the glove door more snug and no more rattle.

I will try this. Generally I just have my wife ride along and push on the glove box door to keep it from rattling. The dash in the Explorer is very cheaply made with pretty poor materials.

I will try this. Generally I just have my wife ride along and push on the glove box door to keep it from rattling. The dash in the Explorer is very cheaply made with pretty poor materials.

Can we appoint this guy the ultimate troll yet?

Back