Need to replace the 4x4 control module... have a few questions. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need to replace the 4x4 control module... have a few questions.

Felt the need to dig this thread up again.

I replaced my cm last October and it worked great (got it from silver state). I haven't been driving my exploder much (going to sell it), so the battery went dead. I used a "jump start box" to get it fired up. Afterwords, my 4x4 did not work (4x4 lights do not come on with key on).

I thought the new parts would have fixed this issue. Anyone else have this problem with a new part?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4x4 Control module issue

I replaced my cm last October and it worked great (got it from silver state). I haven't been driving my exploder much (going to sell it), so the battery went dead. I used a "jump start box" to get it fired up. Afterwords, my 4x4 did not work (4x4 lights do not come on with key on).

I thought the new parts would have fixed this issue. Anyone else have this problem with a new part?

Hi !

I'm having the same issue with my Explorer Limited 2005... Battery dead, recharged, radio fuse burned and 4x4 not functional... I checked the 4x4 motor fuse and it's ok. 4x4 low switch light permanently on ... I guess it's the control model but, to make it worst, I'm in Brazil, so I can't buy the wrong part...
Could you please help me to find the right part number? rockauto.com has many diferent 4x4 CM modules for this model, and I don't have any ideia of which one is the correct ...

A friend will be in US next week and can bring it to me ...

Thanks in advance !

My transfer case motor was dead...luckily I bought one of those last year before I bought the CM. Good to go now...

http://www.mysporttrac.com/MySportTrac/projects/4x4ControlModuleReplacementProject.pdf

Servicing A Transfer Case Shift Motor

try this link above. i had the same problem with my 2002 ranger . The 4wd would only work after the cab warmed up. That was last week, now it stopped working altogether. I took the transfer case motor off and cleaned it. It looked alright to me nothing changed. So i checked for power at the motor and no power to the motor . I had someone inside turning the 4x4 switch. if you go to the second link it tells you how to remove the transfer case motor. I checked all fuses and ground.I think its my 4x4 controll module. I checked the ford dealer its $222.24 .I found it at www.directfordparts.com .you may need the part number from the dealer . I found one online and it was for the Explorer you can just ask a dealer . I'm going to look for a better price maybe a junk yard.I'll let you know what happens. good luck

Back