Ford Explorer Keeps Blowing Fuse #30 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer Keeps Blowing Fuse #30

dan668

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 4.6L Exploder
Hi, I own a 2002 ford explorer limited v8. Was towing the boat the other day, launched. Parked. Came back to find the truck would not crank. No lights or nothing worked. Got another truck to boost me. Made it home. Thought it was the battery, pulled it out, its a motorcraft that's a year old. Daylights would not turn off, climate control doesn't work. So I have to keep the battery disconnected now.

I looked up in the fuse book, found the issue, fuse number 30 on the driver side inside the car was blown. Put in a new one, fuse blew. Everytime I put a new fuse in, it blows right away. any ideas?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If if helps, I bought the car used. a new alternator was put in with the battery. The man drove the car 5000km in a years and 2 months time. I'm on my second week with the truck. as I'm driving home, check charging system comes on. I pull over. Check some stuff, search it up. I even called a friend and they said its most likely the wires since the battery and alt are new. Continue on driving, 15 mins later alternator fried, dead ford on the highway lol.

Had the alternator replaced. The voltage capacitor went bad. Now I'm having this fuse problem.

Btw, when running the voltage @ the baterry was 14.38. When off, its 12.8. Is the battery still good?

I must have been hearing stuff, there were no clicking sounds to be heard, must have been something in the engine bay.

I checked all fuses that pertained to the headlamps, all were intact.

Pulled the DRL / Applied Brake relay (59), put a new fuse in #30 (DRL, remote solenoid, DEATC Climate Controller), still blew.

Not too sure what to look for next as i do not have/can find a good wiring diagram for the truck.

Thanks

Pulled Fuse 14 in the engine bay (Daytime Running Lights/Fogs (Export, Canada))

When the car was off, battery plugged in, daytimes were no longer on.
Put a new fuse in slot 30 in the driver compartment, turned the key (didnt even start), fuse was blown.

So does it seem like its something to do with the climate control?

Also i noticed when i put the parking brake on, the light on the dash doesnt show up? Does that have anything to do with any fuses?

Sorry for all the questions/posts, have a trip upcoming in a week and need to get the truck up and running, if i cant figure it out in the next few days, it will be going to the dealership.

Pulled and unplugged the climate control. Put in a new fuse. Still blew. So my guess is a short somewhere in the harness? Why would it still be shorting out though when the daytime lights and deatc module are unplugged?

you need to pick up a wiring diagram. ebay has them for around $30. you obviously have a short somewhere. I just fix a Jeep that had a short in the fuse box itself. Check voltage before and after the fuse box. I would insert a sewing needle into the wire to check voltages while everything is attached. Also, with the fuse pulled, check the hot coming out of the fuse with a good ground using your ohm meter. See if you have a short while nothing is turned on.

I am having this same issue. I have also done everything that you have. Were you able to figure out the problem?

I shook the wires under the dash, and the harness running along the driver side. The install on the starter remote i had looked rubbish, as the wires on the harness were sparking everywhere, i think that was the problem.

I didnt actually figure it out because after i shook the wires, the problem went away. Couldnt find the short with my detector

No I will definitely check this out

I shook the wires under the dash, and the harness running along the driver side. The install on the starter remote i had looked rubbish, as the wires on the harness were sparking everywhere, i think that was the problem.

I didnt actually figure it out because after i shook the wires, the problem went away. Couldnt find the short with my detector

Yeah that makes sense. Well I am going to keep looking then. Thanks for the help.

Back