I bet a new MFT version is being built from the ground up. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I bet a new MFT version is being built from the ground up.

Just to qualify my above post. The specs from Ford's site on the MFT hardware are as follows

Processor, Memory, and Storage
Freescale i.MX51 SOC
Core CPU: ARM Cortex A8 @ 600 mHz
2D/3D graphics controller
512MB RAM
2GB NAND flash memory

In comparison, the iPhone 3GS runs on the same processor, w/ a similar graphics controller, only it has half the memory (256mb RAM). It is able to do everything our MFT does, only much smoother and more fluently.

Today I heard that the 2013 models will have 2GB RAM. I am wondering if anyone else heard this? Can't give the source but should be reliable. As you can see above in the quote ours (2011 & 2012) have 512MB. My thoughts since the beginning of my problems was this was running out of RAM and crashing. Seeing this, if true has me concerned what we will get but I am still hopeful.

Today I heard that the 2013 models will have 2GB RAM. I am wondering if anyone else heard this? Can't give the source but should be reliable. As you can see above in the quote ours (2011 & 2012) have 512MB. My thoughts since the beginning of my problems was this was running out of RAM and crashing. Seeing this, if true has me concerned what we will get but I am still hopeful.

In my experience with embedded devices, 512MB of RAM is more than generous. The iPhone 4 is only 512 of ram, look at the applications it can handle. The problem was with the way memory was utilized (mostly because of flash lite), but from the video where they were describing the update they talked about moving processing for the UI from the CPU to GPU which would indicate they have in fact rewritten everything in Silverlight. This would also allow for tremendous memory management benefits over the existing solution.

Back