• Register Today It's free!

Stereo Help!!!

nebexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLS
I am installing a new head unit in my 2003 Ford Explorer XLS and I cannot figure out what the three connections are that come out of the back... The wiring harness that is recommended only hooks up to one of the connections. Are they anything important??? If so, what is the work around?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am installing a new head unit in my 2003 Ford Explorer XLS and I cannot figure out what the three connections are that come out of the back... The wiring harness that is recommended only hooks up to one of the connections. Are they anything important??? If so, what is the work around?

Do you mean coming out the back of the stock hu? Mine had three, 1 for the main harness (large block connector), 1 for the sub hookup (smaller block connector) and the third is the radio antenna (small right angled jack type connector). Are these the ones you're seeing?

If so, then yes they are important if you want to get radio reception and keep your sub hooked up.

What are the two lines (that are coming out of the smaller connection for? I couldn't find a diagram in my book....

pictures?

One is for the sub, the other one for the RES.

I only used the larger grey one when I upgraded my HU

Back