Service Engine? What do these codes mean? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Service Engine? What do these codes mean?

rewind1

Collector of Broken Fords
Reaction score
City, State
New Haven, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Mounty/03 Eddie/02 XLT
Service Engine? What do these codes mean? - FIXED!

My Service Engine Light just came on out of nowhere.
Ran a scanner and I've got two codes...

C1342 - General Module / Timing Control Module Defective
P0174 - Bank 2 System too Lean

2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD

What is going on? I cant find much info, especially for the first one.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been experiencing some symptoms now...

slightly rough idle (can't really hear it, but can feel the truck rocking a little when parked, after about 10 min parked it stalled)

gas mileage is bad.
about 4 months ago,when i got the truck, i was getting about 15mpg, now the truck is reading about 11.

for a while there has been a whining noise when i start the truck and it changes with engine speed. i attributed it to just cold weather before but maybe it is something more?

NOt sure about the C1342 code, but the P0174 Code is probably causeing the rough idle and stalling. Check for anything that could lean out the fuel mixture on Bank #2, Which I believe is the drivers side. Check for vacuum leaks, broken or disconnected vacuum or emission hoses, as well as PCV hoses. Check the hoses at the Throttle body for damage and leaking. IT is also a possibility that the intake manifold gaskets are leaking too. Not as common on the 4.6 as the 4.0, but a possibility.

the c1342 code disappeared, not sure about that still.

now i have P2195, P2197
O2 SENSORS!!! I hate these things.

My question now is one issue causing another? Should I try to fix the Vac leak first or Replace the sensors? Or does it not matter because i'll probably have to do both?

.... Should I try to fix the Vac leak first or Replace the sensors? ...

Always, Always, Always, correct vacuum leaks before further diagnoses or arbitrarily replacing more parts.

Just a rule of thumb. :thumbsup:

Art

I found a small hole on that elbow on the pcv valve line. Put some elec tape around it and cleared my codes.

Drove about 20mi so far and three starts with no codes.

How long does it take for the vehicle to start showing codes. I think i heard 30miles a while back?

Well, 50 miles and no codes.

I'm sure glad that is all it was. I'll have to replace the hose permanently now.

Thanks for your help!

I've seen recommendations that the PCV valve itself should be replaced at 100k and my truck is currently at 178k. Is this necessary?

Back