• Register Today It's free!

111K 05 explorer?

kgihemp

Reaction score
City, State
Bitburg
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
I am looking to possibly buy a 05 explorer with 111K miles. Its an xlt. They are asking 9k for it. It has select trac 4x4 and normal options. Just wondering if it is worth the price or am i going to have a ton of issues at a certain milage. this will be a dd and primarily my wifes car. any help or tips will be great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am looking to possibly buy a 05 explorer with 111K miles. Its an xlt. They are asking 9k for it. It has select trac 4x4 and normal options. Just wondering if it is worth the price or am i going to have a ton of issues at a certain milage. this will be a dd and primarily my wifes car. any help or tips will be great.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I bought an 05 Ex XLT with 3rd row seating, loaded with moon roof and 82,500 miles a year ago and paid $10,200 for it from a local car dealer. It retailed, blue book listed for between $12,700-$13,600 depending on the web site at the time I bought it. It was also extremely clean under the hood and the bottom side of the vehicle is immaculate, no rust at all. The exterior paint had some small scratches and dings I didn't see at the time I purchased it, but it was snowing out both road test times. I felt the price I paid for it was good, but it needed a rebuilt tranny not long after I bought it, but I made the dealership pay for that along with having them pay for new tires and a wheel alignment and repair a torn drivers seat panel. I also got them to throw in some new speakers as well. This past summer I had to replace the front lower ball joints, temp blend door actuator and remove the failed air recirculation door. I also thru some money into it tuning it up completely.

I'd say $9k is a little high for 111K mileage but that depends on where you live and if it is in excellent condition overall, then maybe not a bad price. Check it out good and look for issues in the engine, tranny and 4x4/transfer case, inside vehicle defroster heat controls, dash vent blower air flow, ball joints, make sure all door lock and window controls work etc. Also, make sure all 4 tires on it are of the same size and tread wear and depth. A badly worn tire or a tire of another size will cause the auto 4x4 system to kick in and you'll feel or hear what sounds like gears engaging temporarily when you step on the gas from a stop. Nothing to worry about, just need 4 tires of the same size and dimensions. With a 111k on it, you can expect to have to put a little money into it updating it on things like tune up, fluid and oil changes. If you are buying it from the current owner, not a dealership, ask to see maintenance receipts so you know where you stand with it on maintenance at the time you buy it. Good luck with it if you decide to buy it.

Show up with 8k and a blunt full of dro.

hahahaah , best post of the year!!

I paided 13,400 for my 02... 3 years ago with 70k, and i got rapped all over

Based on the limited description, I wouldn't pay $9k for it. Just got mine back in November. '05 XLT 4x4 V8 w/AdvanceTrac (3rd row, most options, yada yada yada) with 63k miles for $12k otd. Oh, and that included the brand new 20" rims with brand new Proxes ST2's :D

What motor does it have? Do you have access to the maintenance records? Have you run a Carfax or Autocheck on it?

It's just my opinion but I make sure the car my wife drives is in tip top shape 100% of the time. I do everything I can to make sure she doesn't get stuck on the side of the road one day.

Before I would to consider paying $9 for it, I'd make sure an independent shop I trust says it's in perfect condition without any signs of any of the major issues that tend to crop up around that mileage (namely the transmission).

Just my $.02 and good luck with the hunt. I really do love my Ex after having it only a few months.

I have a 05 with 110 now I bought this summer with 97k and a fresh tranny...
Only paid 6k but bought it from grandma.. dmv said blue book was 8500...
It's loaded minus v8 and backup sensors...

I would get it if it seems like its been maintained...

I'm guessing that I did pretty well, I paid $6,100 cash for my 04 XLT 4x4 with third row seating & rear A/C. 94,000 miles on her and in excellent condition. She was a garage kept vehicle.

I'm guessing that I did pretty well, I paid $6,100 cash for my 04 XLT 4x4 with third row seating & rear A/C. 94,000 miles on her and in excellent condition. She was a garage kept vehicle.

Sounds similar to mine.... Mine was also garage kept (even parked outside to "cool" and then pulled in) nothing keeps a car new like protection from the elements...

Back