Where's best place near dash to tap into 3rd Gen Reverse Signal Wire Black/Pink? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where's best place near dash to tap into 3rd Gen Reverse Signal Wire Black/Pink?

Sean215

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT 4.0L V6
I am looking for the best location to tap into the reverse signal wire somewhere under the dash. I need this wire for my back up camera so the closer I can find it to the radio the better. I've been searching and found that this black/pink wire runs under the door sill (driver's side OR pass side???) and up past the kick panel and then eventually to the transmission but not really sure exactly. If I have to run a hookup wire from the radio to the kick panel or door sill then it's not a big deal but if the reverse wire comes up near the radio anyway then I might as well tap into it there. Anyone know the best spot to tap in? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you are close. According to Haynes, the BLK/PNK is the reverse wire that illuminates the backup lights once the transmission is placed in reverse.

There is one wire that heads to the Electro-Chromatic Mirror which will need to head up one of the pillars to get to the headliner. Another lead goes to the Parking Aid Module (probably for later models). Also another lead to the Revers Lamp Trailer Tow Relay but that should be way in the back drivers side.

If you found it in the kick panel then go for it.

Thanks for the response. I didn't actually find the wire yet. I meant to say that I was searching the forums and I found people were saying that the black/pink wire should be located behind the kick panels or under the door sill where it runs to the back up lights. I was hoping to find it somewhere behind the dash to be closer to my head unit. Where can I find that wire behind the dash??

The black/pink wire is the reverse lights hot wire. I ran emergency lighting into my rear lights, and I tapped into that for the reverse lights under the driver side kick panel. I couldn't find a location behind the dash, but I also didn't look that hard. Follow the wire and I'm sure you can find a closer location. If not, run the wire under your kick panel and that will do fine.

Thanks for all the help. When it gets a little milder out I'll take a look and see what the best option is. Probably end up just running a wire from the back of the head unit behind the dash and down to the kick panel. I couldn't really find anything behind the dash either. I'll let yous know how it all shakes out. Thanks again for all the advice.

did you find the wire for reverse? 02 explorer

i also have to find the reverse wire for my backup camera. im going to ground the brake wire for the dvd. where is the reverse wire at? is it supposed to be hot or ground? I could maybe tap into the backup sensor switch

It's a hot wire. It is black/pink and is under the drivers kick panel.

this is on my 2007, driver floor harnes

picture.php?albumid=14728&pictureid=60197.jpg

I tried the black pink wire under the kick panel. its hot all the time. i need it to kick on in reverse only. i cant seem to find out what wire is reverse.... 02 explorer

open up the tail lens and look for the colors at the reverse light then you can find that same color at the driver side floor board harness

backup camera reverse wire

ok.. theres alot of blk pink wires.. i tapped into a smaller one and it turned on the monitor jensen vm9224bt without going into reverse. ok.. thats not working.. so i tapped into a bigger black pink wire..same deal.. hmm.. now these wires were under the drivers side above the hood popper handle. maybe these were "pre'reverse" wires? so next time im going to try one of the many black pink wires in the bunch of wires along the floor board.

but maybe its not working because i grounded the brake wire?

is that possible?

if thats the case then i will have to put a switch on that.

Im scared to even try to find the parking brake wire.. plus i dont want to deal with having to engage the parking brake to watch a movie (like i ever will).

backup camera reverse wire

ok.. theres alot of blk pink wires.. i tapped into a smaller one and it turned on the monitor jensen vm9224bt without going into reverse. ok.. thats not working.. so i tapped into a bigger black pink wire..same deal.. hmm.. now these wires were under the drivers side above the hood popper handle. maybe these were "pre'reverse" wires? so next time im going to try one of the many black pink wires in the bunch of wires along the floor board.

but maybe its not working because i grounded the brake wire?

is that possible?

if thats the case then i will have to put a switch on that.

Im scared to even try to find the parking brake wire.. plus i dont want to deal with having to engage the parking brake to watch a movie (like i ever will).

No apologies for a 5 year bump it seems someone would have had the courtesy to answer this exactly for 02/05

All the pink black at kick panel are hot all the time

The reverse park aid pink wire has a small current all the time and when in reverse full 12v

So what wire is it that is up in or near dash?

Has to be with the signal coming from column shifter

Fantastic
Mirror wire comes down the A pillar
5 to get that off and peel back some tape, another five and I have a reverse camera working

Thank you!

Fantastic
Mirror wire comes down the A pillar
5 to get that off and peel back some tape, another five and I have a reverse camera working

Thank you!
A pillar on drivers or passenger side? Thanks!

Thank you!! My camera has been installed for a year, but until this weekend it's not been operational because I was never able to find that wire.

So it's black and pink, and it's in the A pillar. It's mainly black, with a pink stripe right? Any special tips or anything. There's only one black/ pink or are there other similar wires to watch for?

Only one and thin

Worked like a charm for the rvc power in reversa

Remember that is if you have auto dim mirror

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am a little surprised that no one suggested Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed

awesome site.

Back