What's gonna go wrong next? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What's gonna go wrong next?

JT in MD

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT 4.0L
Ok, here's the deal.. .I've got a 2005 XLT 4.0. I bought it used, 3 years ago w/ 30000 miles. It now has about 50000. I got a pretty good deal on it and KBB is still a decent amount above what I owe on it...

Anyway, I'm not a 'diehard' Explorer owner like some of you. I really enjoy it and have gotten great use out of it, but the $$$ that I've had to drop into repairs is starting to piss me off. For example (off the top of my head), I've had the harmonic balancer replaced, replaced the alternator, repainted the roof and now the front wheel bearings are starting to make lots of noise.

Two part question - 1) What's gonna crap out next? and 2) When is enough enough?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can't begin to tell you what might go next. I have a 2002 XLS and have had the trans rebuilt, timing chains and cassettes replaced, water pump, thermostat housing, fuel filter, all four wheel bearings and have the cracked rear panel. I bought my Explorer brand new and have 106,000 miles on it. I would not trade it for anything unknown. I will keep her until the wheels fall off!

JCR- Don't forget about the constant diff whining, blend door actuators, recirculation doors, and the hinge that holds the rear glass...

JT in MD- Treat her well and you will love her like your first born...

I say blend door actuator or rear end whine. :)

I did wheel bearings 3 times, tie rod ends twice, thought about repainting my delaminated and rusted roof, questioned why i was getting 25 litres/100km and finally traded it in (2005 v8 EB). All this in less than 3 years. Got a 2007 Jeep JK Unlimited, love it.

That said, my wifes 2003 XLT has has had 1 wheel bearing replaced in almost 4 years and just works. You never know whats gonna happen. I've had 3 Jeeps now, 1 sucked balls, 1 rocked, 3rd I've had for a month so jury is still out.

Figure out your tolerance and budget for bs and go from there. Best advice I can come up with. Good luck with whatever you decide, as with any make it seems thats whats going to help you, luck.

Figured I'd give this thread of mine a bump... not surprisingly, it only took a month to answer my question.

I've got a leak coming from the area of the front differential - it's in the shop now and they're gonna let me know the cause.

Last week, when the handles were iced over, I ripped the rear left passenger door handle right off.

Probably gonna trade in for an F150 or Silverado - I've had enough of this thing!!

I've got a leak coming from the area of the front differential - it's in the shop now and they're gonna let me know the cause. >>>>>>>>>>

Besides the front diff, there are front axle seals that can leak as well. My passenger side one leaked prior to my purchasing my Ex and I made the dealership pay to have it repaired.

>>>>>>>>Last week, when the handles were iced over, I ripped the rear left passenger door handle right off.>>>>>>>>>>

I know you are pissed off at your Explorer, but come on! Try grabbing those door handles like you do with your old lady's breasts, gently! They'll last longer! :D

>>>>>>>>>>Probably gonna trade in for an F150 or Silverado - I've had enough of this thing!!>>>>>>>>>>>>

Plan on dumping money into them as well unless you buy new. Not a used vehicle out there that doesn't cost any of us money to keep on the road. Some are just worse than others.

Back