New Navajo Truggy build | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Navajo Truggy build

Bumper and winch CHECK.

More steps to building the bumper
IMG_1591.jpg

IMG_1592.jpg

Those damn crumple zones. I plated over all of them.
IMG_1594.jpg

Look what Santa brought me. Its the Smittybilt XRC 8000 lb competition winch.
IMG_1595.jpg

IMG_1596.jpg

Got the limit straps on tonight.
IMG_1597.jpg

IMG_1598.jpg

Got the tail tabs welded on tonight also. Hope these are bright.
IMG_1599.jpg

IMG_1600.jpg

Flying the company stickers.
IMG_1590.jpg

Just got back from Lake Arrowhead this afternoon. Ran the Navajo through its paces. Really hammered it and it took it very well. Ran 99% of the trail in 4lo with hubs unlocked. Its very well balanced and flexy. The suspension is soft but thanks to the air bumps it firms up when needed. Leaving for Truck Haven this Thursday morning and will be there until Saturday afternoon. If you see the truck please say hello.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's one awesome company truck. Ha.

Pics from Truck Haven

Dec2011022.jpg

I have to say. Hydraulic bump stops are worth their weight in gold. The Navajo lands so softly. It seemed like the higher I jumped it the softer the landing. I did use up all 4" of the Fox bump stops. I have no plans to shorten the stroke.
Dec2011025.jpg

Dec2011031.jpg

Dec2011048.jpg

Dec2011018.jpg

Dec2011041.jpg

Dec2011061.jpg

Dec2011053.jpg

These pics were taken over the New Years holiday. I ended up breaking the rear driveshaft. No not from jumping. It was a little too much throttle on a step up with a bad hop.

Currently I have the Navajo up on jack stands in my driveway. The axles are removed and the gears are on my work bench. I'm installing 5.38 in the front with a Auburn limited slip and 5.43 in the rear with a full spool.

Next project is going to be the Currie Antirock sway bar.

Awesome, I love your truck.

It looks like everyone had a great day.

I don't know much about shock valving so I won't try to tell you what to do, but I'm pretty sure if you're blowing through your travel on a jump like that and fully compressing your bumpstops, you need stiffer compression valving and you might want to charge your bumpstops to a higher psi. I know you signed up on dezertrangers, maybe try to get some valving suggestions over there. Truck definitely looks like fun though!

I don't know much about shock valving so I won't try to tell you what to do, but I'm pretty sure if you're blowing through your travel on a jump like that and fully compressing your bumpstops, you need stiffer compression valving and you might want to charge your bumpstops to a higher psi. I know you signed up on dezertrangers, maybe try to get some valving suggestions over there. Truck definitely looks like fun though!

I didn't bottom out on these jumps. i think it was from a whoop section that I hammered through pretty fast. I never actually felt "bottom". I just noticed that over the course of the weekend it did use up all the travel from the marks on the bump stop shaft.
I don't plan to "sky" this thing. I am just glad its a very comfortable and well rounded.

If anyone needs any suspension parts I'm selling some parts I ended up removing.

Bilstein 12" stroke shocks
Ballistic adjustable coil buckets
early bronco 5 1/2" coils
Polyurethane coil inserts
Ranger fiberglass fenders and front clip

Gears and Traction devices

Finally finished the gears on the Navajo. I noticed something on the gears I removed them. The rear was a 3.00 ratio and the front was a 3.54. I was told when I bought the axles they were out of a 79 Bronco, must not have been the same Bronco.

I'm running a full Drag Race spool in the rear with 5.43 gears
In the front I am running an Auburn Limited slip with 5.38
IMG_1666.jpg

IMG_1669.jpg

Check out the wear pattern. Not bad for a pipe fitter.
IMG_1673.jpg

IMG_1674.jpg

Made a fancy tool
IMG_1677.jpg

Dang, This truck is so sweet I was going to say something, but you already have children.

Seriously though, I am extremely impressed. This is my favorite rig on the site.

wow dude just went through your thread and its amazing.....i hope that one day i can have half your skills. you did an awesome build.

Currie AntiRock Sway Bar

I want to thank everyone for all the kind works about my project. I used a lot of information from this forum to help with this build.

As for most of the parts on this project things have to be modified. I started out with Curries 32" universal Anti rock sway bay kit with 20" bent bars. I added more angle to the bars to clear the track bar bracket and to align the links with the radius arms.
IMG_1711.jpg

IMG_1714.jpg

Started off by tacking the tubing to the frame then made a few templates and tacked some pieces in place
IMG_1713.jpg

IMG_1712.jpg

After it was all welded up I cut off the tubing in the middle of the frame. I thought it would look weird if I left it as one piece.
IMG_1720.jpg

IMG_1721.jpg

Currie gave me a couple more stickers to to finish off the arms
IMG_1728.jpg

Full droop
IMG_1726.jpg

IMG_1730.jpg

Youtube video at Azusa Canyon

It was supposed to be a easy day of wheeling until I broke a front axle shaft (I think). I guess that's what happens when you jump in 4 low.
I'll tear into it this week and post some pics of the carnage.

http://youtu.be/Pi4Lotd7yYM

Awesome!!!!

Broken Transfer case

I crawled under the Navajo today to see exactly what broke. I disconnected the front drive shaft to see if it was in the axle or the transfer case. Well it wasn't a broken axle, it was my transfer case. Not sure what broke exactly buy there is definitely something wrong when I spin the front driveshaft.
Does anyone know what it could be?

The output will spin, with intermediate resistance. There isn't and binding like a pieces of gears floating around would act. There was a clunking right after it happened, I unlocked the hubs, put it in 2 wd and put it on the trailer. HELP.

This is a electric shift stock case.

the chain broken or one of the shift forks?

Borg Warner 1354 Carnage Photos. I've never seen anything like it.

Well I guess the technical term is FUBAR. I hope this doesn't become a habit. It was my understanding that the BW 1354 was a fairly decent transfer case. Maybe the ring and pinion miss match I found helped contribute to the destruction.

I picked up a used 1345 on craigslist tonight for $100.

If it happens again i'm doing a c4 dana 20 swap.

IMG_1734.jpg

IMG_1735.jpg

IMG_1736.jpg

IMG_1737.jpg

IMG_1738.jpg

Yours gears front and rear dont match? This is for sure what caused this if so.

Yours gears front and rear dont match? This is for sure what caused this if so.

They match now. I just got done with the gears. I did however wheel the Navajo a couple times with the original gears (3.00 rear and 3.54 front). I didn't realize the miss match until I tore the axel apart when doing the ring and pinion.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Wow, impressive carnage!

Great build up A+++. Its hard not to drool my way through this thread as I went from page to page.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Front reciever mount and skit plate

I thought it would be a good idea to have a good attachment point on the front of the Navajo. Here is what I came up with

IMG_1742.jpg

Welded it between the frame rails. Also added some tabs for the skid plate

IMG_1744.jpg

I wanted a shackle up front but I didn't want it to hurt the approach angle too much. Here is my stealth receiver idea
IMG_1746.jpg

IMG_1747.jpg

IMG_1748.jpg

IMG_1749.jpg

IMG_1752.jpg

Finished.
IMG_1753.jpg

Back