Morimoto Mini H1 Retrofit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Morimoto Mini H1 Retrofit

Thought I share my install currently underway. I am going slow and not rushing this as I want to get it right the first time. Started with the Morimoto Mini H1 4.1 Bi-xenon Projectors and graphite shrouds from http://www.theretrofitsource.com/ and the Black Crystal Headlights from ebay.

I didn't realize how transparent the shrouds are so I painted the insides with aluminum engine paint to fix that.
IMAG0071.jpg

IMAG0069.jpg

I am also installing the dummy alarm LED's in them to flash when the truck is off. I used one of the existing holes in the base of the projector's and angle drilled it to fit the LED.
Here you can see the hole.
IMAG0075.jpg

IMAG0074.jpg

And with LED.
IMAG0078.jpg

IMAG0080.jpg

I attached the LED's with the same Silicone II that is recommended to install the projectors.
Here is a test pic with the shrouds installed.
IMAG0082.jpg

My goal is to hook both sides up to one of the flashers so they will both be flashing in sync with each other. That is as far as I have gotten so far and will update as I go. Again I am taking my time on these, so I may not have anything til next weekend.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks good so far, I like the LED idea.:thumbsup:

Well the headlights are open. 300f seem to be the magic number to get the lenses off. I nicked the first one starting too low on the temp because I was worried about melting the plastic. Thankfully it's not bad and not going to be seen with the lens on. I don't like the reflective backing though and will be painting them flat black. I think it will make the graphite shrouds stand out better with the black background.
IMAG0090.jpg

IMAG0092.jpg

I have to pull the projector back out anyway to do some trimming to get the mounting ring in. It has a tab up top that is just barely hitting.
IMAG0093.jpg

Are you not using the 9007 alignment rings for a reason?

Also, not to rain on your parade, but usually when people use LED's for the evil eye effect and all, the heat from the projector over time will kill the life of the LED, so don't expect it to last forever. If you get over a year out of it, that would be great....

What bulbs are you going with?

Keep us up to date on the progress...

Are you not using the 9007 alignment rings for a reason?

Which ones are they? LOL Really wish they would have set instructions on how to put their projectors together.

Also, not to rain on your parade, but usually when people use LED's for the evil eye effect and all, the heat from the projector over time will kill the life of the LED, so don't expect it to last forever.

I thought of the heat. That's why I tried to keep them as far out of the projector housing as possible. It was one of those "If it works, great. If it doesn't, oh well." things.

What bulbs are you going with?

I bought the HID's and the projectors together. I think I ordered the 5000k.

Thanks! That helped a lot. Mine didn't come with the 9007 rings. I guess I will have to order a set.

Thanks! That helped a lot. Mine didn't come with the 9007 rings. I guess I will have to order a set.

If you ordered the 9007 stage 3 kit, it should have. If you didn't, I believe TRS sells em for 5 bucks.

I just got the projectors and HID's. Didn't order it as a kit. I couldn't find the adapters on their website, but I did shoot them an e-mail. Thanks again for letting me know about them.

I just got the projectors and HID's. Didn't order it as a kit. I couldn't find the adapters on their website, but I did shoot them an e-mail. Thanks again for letting me know about them.

they come with the stage 3 kit, no other way to get them except to email them and ask for them. They sell products not on the website to

Yeah, they confirmed they sold them. Called them and placed an order today.

Got the housings blacked out. Won't be able to see the reflection of the wires in them anymore.
IMAG0094.jpg

Thanks to dreddog47, I now have the right adapters in.
IMAG0096.jpg

And looking so much better in black.
IMAG0095.jpg

Nice work so far. I look forward to the finished product.

Okay, I have the plugs on the headlights for the high beam solenoid, and LED's.
I also made up a harness for the LED's that I will run piggy-back to the headlight harness that came with the projectors.
IMAG0100.jpg

I am a little confused about the headlight wiring though. I have the harness laid out on the floor, and I don't see where the high beams connect to. Here is what I have:
IMAG0101.jpg

IMAG0102.jpg

And going by this: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pdf/trs_tech/Heavy_Duty_Bi-xenon_Harness.pdf
It looks like I don't have the orange plugs (#4) and I am also missing the headlight plug (#1). Am I out of luck with this harness or can I modify it to make it work?

Blue on blue, black on black. The little spade connectors slide into the slots on the other connector. Pretty lame if you ask me. My high beam connectors always broke free until I rigged up a better setup.

Cut off both connectors and rig up a better quick disconnect setup is what I did.

Your setup looks pretty clean so far. Just make sure to aim them before baking them again to seal. I had to open my driver's side a week or so later to fix mine. The projector was in crooked which really effed up the beam pattern. :(

Still confused. The black and blue connectors hook up to the HID ballast to power each headlight, correct?

The black and blue spade connectors hook up to the factory plug to trigger the HID's to come on, correct?

There aren't any other plugs to hook the high beams to. Or am I not seeing something?

Still confused. The black and blue connectors hook up to the HID ballast to power each headlight, correct?

The black and blue spade connectors hook up to the factory plug to trigger the HID's to come on, correct?

There aren't any other plugs to hook the high beams to. Or am I not seeing something?

Dude, my memory isn't good enough to remember what went where in that kind of detail. I remember it seemed screwed up too. I just plugged the spades into an open HID connector (on the harness) that didn't seem to go anywhere else and the high beam solenoid did it's thing. When they kept coming loose, I put in my own connectors on both ends and did away with the spades and the extra HID connector.

Made some more progress. I have decided to scrap the blue LED idea. Both were working great until I installed the projectors into the housing. Now only one is working.
I did figure out the wiring harness problem. The harness I received was from the HID kit and not the projectors, so it was set up for single xenon. I had another harness laying around that I was able to rob the headlight plug off of.
IMAG0118.jpg

I also spliced into the factory high beam wiring and soldered the new high beam plugs onto it.
IMAG0115.jpg

IMAG0119.jpg

The problem I have now is the high beams only function correctly on the "flash to pass" selection and shut off on full high beam. Don't know if I can some how change to full high beam to function the same as the "flash to pass" does. My plan is to get them mounted and wired today, and then seal them up for tomorrow final install.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did get a shot of the "cut-off" of the one piece headlights last night before dis-assembly today. They are not as blue as they look in the photo.
IMAG0111.jpg

Back