Transmission Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Question

bsevic

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer
Does anyone know if placing the auto transmission into manual mode and selecting 2nd from a start, if the transmission is starting off in 2nd gear (or is shifting from 1st and then shifting to 2nd). It feels like it does start off in 2nd but its hard to tell on dry roads).

If it does, this is very helpful in starting off in slippery winter conditions. If we would get some snow here in Michigan I could test this out, but since picking up the X last week, the roads have been clear of any ice or snow.

Also if it does, that would be a good information to add to the owners manual (if anyone from Ford is reading this).

Thanks In Advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you select the snow setting from the terrain management dial, it is essentially doing the same thing, only better, than starting out in 2nd gear in manual mode.

Does anyone know if placing the auto transmission into manual mode and selecting 2nd from a start, if the transmission is starting off in 2nd gear (or is shifting from 1st and then shifting to 2nd). It feels like it does start off in 2nd but its hard to tell on dry roads).

If it does, this is very helpful in starting off in slippery winter conditions. If we would get some snow here in Michigan I could test this out, but since picking up the X last week, the roads have been clear of any ice or snow.

Also if it does, that would be a good information to add to the owners manual (if anyone from Ford is reading this).

Thanks In Advance.
Welcome to the Forum bsevic. :wavey:
As Bill #4 Explorer pointed out, why not use the Terrain Management System instead of going manual? FYI, I have driven in snow and on hard packed snow and also slushy roads and have never felt a need to take it out of Normal mode.

Peter

Bsevic, Is your Explorer 2WD or 4WD?

Sorry I should have represented this is a base 2 wheel drive (front wheel) 2012 Ford Explorer.

Well we final received some snow and ice yesterday here in Michigan, and temperatures stayed in the high teens today, so with the weather and roads were favorable to test this out, so I did. From my view it sure feels that I can select the Explorer to start off in second gear. This is very beneficial in the slippery conditions, since it reduces some of the torque and allows the vehicle to move forward without engaging the traction control (or reduces the need). I know all you with 4WD Explorer Owners are wonder why this matters. So a little winter driving history here. Before there were computers and anti-lock breaks that created the traction control attributes of current generation vehicles, cars with manual transmission's had an advantaging in slippery conditions by starting out in 2nd gear. The gearing of 2nd gear was just what you needed to get enough momentum to move forward without sitting there spinning your wheels. With this ability of selecting 2nd gear in manual mode makes this a outstanding FWD winter vehicle.

Can anyone from Ford that monitors our contributes to this site verify my observation?

Thanks In Advance....

Back