• Register Today It's free!

13 mpg ??

jrob6716

Reaction score
City, State
Orange County , California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT
Just got my 2012 Explorer V6 XLT right before Christmas. I love it so far!!! one of the troubling things though is I appear to only be getting about 13-15 MPG - even on the highway i am averaging about 18. I've been monitoring my trips and I and getting about 220-250 from a tank. This seems considerably less than what was on the sticker and what I have seen that other owners are getting well above what I am. Anyone with similar experiences? I'm planning to take it in next Friday.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nope, I am getting well over 20 on the highway 2011 XLT 4wd, the last time I got your mileage I was towing a uhaul 5 x 8 trailer

Keep in mind mileage is a direct result of driving behavior, i mean its not a sports car by any means, but yours does seem unusual, contact the dealer when you have moment.

v6 engine, 4wd

18 city
26 highway - this was just today on a 150 mile trip @ 60mph

ive got 6000 miles

Nope, I am getting well over 20 on the highway 2011 XLT 4wd, the last time I got your mileage I was towing a uhaul 5 x 8 trailer

Keep in mind mileage is a direct result of driving behavior, i mean its not a sports car by any means, but yours does seem unusual, contact the dealer when you have moment.

Ya I hear ya.. I do step on it here and there. Nothin out of the ordinary though. I have noticed it seems to struggle on hills compared to other vehicles I've had. Hopefully the dealer can figure it out :)

My thoughts:

1) You are driving aggressively
2) Truck not completely broken in yet
3) Crappy winter mix fuel
4) Not using full synthetic oil
5) Check your tire pressures

I get about 18 MPG in combine city/highway. On all highway trips I can get 22-23 MPG at 65-70 MPH. I drive aggressively. Almost 34,000 miles. Running full synthetic oil.

Just got my 2012 Explorer V6 XLT right before Christmas. I love it so far!!! one of the troubling things though is I appear to only be getting about 13-15 MPG - even on the highway i am averaging about 18. I've been monitoring my trips and I and getting about 220-250 from a tank. This seems considerably less than what was on the sticker and what I have seen that other owners are getting well above what I am. Anyone with similar experiences? I'm planning to take it in next Friday.
What's your milage? I've got 2,000 on mine and am running like 14.5 city. I think it's just the break in ..... Yours might be the same.

I am getting 20-21 City and 28 on the highway with my EcoBoost

We will be taking our fist long distance trip with it tomorrow, so I will post after that.

Around town: 19.5mpg
2012 Base Explorer V6

We currently have around 1700 miles on it.

I have 2800 miles on my Truck and most of it is city driving. I get about 13-15 mpg.

almost 12K miles,full synthetic,V6, average is 17.7mpg in congested LA traffic.

It also has a lot to do with your terrain. Hilly terrain is hard on gas mileage.

Also wind..... I've gotten over 30 MPG at highway speeds with the wind at my back.

My thoughts:

I get about 18 MPG in combine city/highway. On all highway trips I can get 22-23 MPG at 65-70 MPH. I drive aggressively. Almost 34,000 miles. Running full synthetic oil.

almost 12K miles,full synthetic,V6, average is 17.7mpg in congested LA traffic.

What full syns are you guys using? Thx...

What full syns are you guys using? Thx...

My first 4 oil changes were done by the dealership, and I used Motorcraft 5W20. My 5th oil change was done by WalMart and I switched to Mobil 1 0W30.

My first 4 oil changes were done by the dealership, and I used Motorcraft 5W20. My 5th oil change was done by WalMart and I switched to Mobil 1 0W30.

How many miles do you have that you've done 5 oil changes?

I picked up my 2011 Limited, V6, 302A, 4WD, in July 2011. During the period July thru December 2011, I traveled 10,444 miles. I burned 518 gallons of gas for an overall rate of 20.16 MPG. I was not towing anything and I did not have any items on the roof rack. Approximately 7,000 miles were interstate highway miles. The remainder were city miles. My best mileage was on a trip from Missouri to South Carolina where I averaged 23, and the poorest mileage was between Wyoming and California, where I averaged 18. At the end of this period, my overall economy readout on the instrument cluster was 20.4
Just for the sake of comparison, during the period January thru December 2011, my wife's 02 Explorer, Eddie Bauer, V6, 4WD, with 95,000 miles, averaged 16.03 MPG. Her Explorer mileage is all city driving. The only highway driving she does is when she gets on the Interstate to get across town quickly.

My thoughts:

How many miles do you have that you've done 5 oil changes?

Didn't see that first post. That's a lot of miles in not a lot of time.

I have a V6 4WD and get about 18.4 MPG in mixed driving on flat (LA Basin) roads (I am not a lead foot by any means). When I try to hypermile and annoy the heck out of my family and all drivers around me, I can push this to 22 MPG tops (did this for about a month until honking from other drivers and Grandma comments from friends and family got me to start driving normally again). IMO, this is pretty decent mileage for this kind of vehicle given local traffic conditions in LA.

What's your milage? I've got 2,000 on mine and am running like 14.5 city. I think it's just the break in ..... Yours might be the same.

2200 miles , hopefully its just the break in period :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My thoughts:

Those are great points. I have 2200 miles so the break in is a possibility. Sorry for my ignorance whats winter mix fuel. I live in Southern Cali, do they have this here ? Haven't had a Oil change yet. I am checking the pressure first thing tomorrow.

Back