Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise | Page 44 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise

I had both of my a pillar replaced today my dealership tech was awsome !!( smith cairns in yonkers ny) i notice while removal ant instalation that the old one where not tight enough onto apillar and that the rubber thats onto the windshield was more flat the new one is more edged to the glass the new one fits much tighter to glass and since this repair was not on a production line the two piece per pillar is better installed also its redesigned !!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

NEWPORTNJ,

Since you were able to watch the removal and installation, did they change both the rubber and black plastic, or just the black plastic.

On the invoice did they record the part numbers. If so can you share them with me.

Thanks,

NEWPORTNJ,

Since you were able to watch the removal and installation, did they change both the rubber and black plastic, or just the black plastic.

On the invoice did they record the part numbers. If so can you share them with me.

Thanks,
Bruce read cnsheets post on page 1 of this thread. Part numbers are listed there.

Peter

Peter,

CNCsheets says those are the parts that they "saaaay" they put on.

NewportNJ actually saw them put them on. I would like to get an answer from someone who actually saw the job.

I brought the car in for some other service two weeks prior. They needed to order some components. They said they would not be able to do the pillars for a few weeks as they were on back order. When I brought the car back in for service he said the pillars were still on back order.

Two hours later when the car was completed he said they were able to do the pillars as well. I said I thought that they were on back order, and he said they found them in stock.

You see the problem is that my dealer says he replaced the a-pillars per the TSB. The TSB says to replace both sides and gives you only two part numbers.

My invoice had only one part number. When I questioned the service tech why only one number he said they replacd it per the TSB. I explained to him what the TSB said, and he revised the invoice with a new one showing the two part numbers.

The problem is the rubbers were both dirty, and I thought that the pillars came with new rubbers.

As NewportNJ saw the job he would be the best to answer.

They did change the whole part everything the rubber the whole nine !! Sorry that i dont have part # due to that i have a great relation ship with the dealership !!!

Honestly speaking my tech said that when the pillar are replaced it has to be the whole thing its 4 parts 2 per side and the rubber is all new !!

They did change the whole part everything the rubber the whole nine !! Sorry that i dont have part # due to that i have a great relation ship with the dealership !!!
I would have expected the part numbers to be listed on the invoice. I've had 4 service appointments, 2 for warranty issues, so far and part numbers were listed for all parts used/replaced.

Peter

I could tell that both the pillars and rubber were changed. The rubber feels thicker than the old rubber, seems slightly wider (inside side that meets the window) and seems to have a slight channel in it that runs vertical between the rubber and pillar.(can be seen in the pictures I posted) Matches the slight channel on the black plastic on the roof line where the roof rails mount. The old pillar did not have such a pronounced channel

Hey cnsheets are you able to take a close up pic of your new installed A-Pillar parts?

I had the TSB done several months ago but I think the newer parts are actually redesigned and earlier ones are not.

I just want compare yours to mine.

Hey cnsheets are you able to take a close up pic of your new installed A-Pillar parts?

I had the TSB done several months ago but I think the newer parts are actually redesigned and earlier ones are not.

I just want compare yours to mine.

Sure thing. When the suns up tomorrow I'll get a few. I think the main noticeable difference is the rubber on the inner edge that meets the windshield. But i will get pics of all angles.

Procedure for replacing the a pillars

no silicone, first of all the dealer has to take a picture of the windshield to show that it has not been changed, there is a stamp on the center bottom of the windsheild, then the dealer eamil's picture to ford, ford then give approval for replacement and sends parts over to dealer, dealer takes off the shinny moulding behind that is a heavier moulding that has the rubber atached to it that has several clips and 4 screws that get screwed into the metal of the car tightly then he snaps the finish trim piece to the heavier moulding that he put on first and that is the actual procedure that a good dealership has to take, and having a good tech for installation also the old ones go back to ford in detriot !!!

NewportNJ,

Thanks for the detailed response.:thumbsup:

I went to my dealer today and they said per the TSB 12-1-11 all that is required is to replace the black plastic molding. The bracket with the rubber is not part of the TSB.

I think top notch dealers replace the entire assembly to avoid come backs.

I will just need to drive the car on the next windy day to see if what that did passes the wind test.

Thanks again

A-pillar vibration/rattle

Hi Cory,

Seems like you have helped out many on this thread!

I am also having the same problem others have cited on this discussion thread. I would describe the problem as either a buzz and/or rattle that appears to be coming from the windshield area. My symptoms are the same in that at highway speeds, buffeting (behind a tractor trailer), cross-winds AND colder weather aggrevate the problem. The cold factor makes sense if is a plastic/rubber vibration issue.

I have not approached a dealer about this yet. I am curious if this is covered under the service bulletin?

Thanks in advance. :usa:

Update:

So far, windshield noise is pretty much gone. I now hear more road noise from the drivers door/window. This noise was probably there before, but just couldn't hear it because of the windshield noise. Now that that noise is gone, I hear drivers door. I think this is normal road noise however. I think a combination of the a-pillar TSB fix and the little piece of foam I added has taken care of the windshield area.

Update:

So far, windshield noise is pretty much gone. I now hear more road noise from the drivers door/window. This noise was probably there before, but just couldn't hear it because of the windshield noise. Now that that noise is gone, I hear drivers door. I think this is normal road noise however. I think a combination of the a-pillar TSB fix and the little piece of foam I added has taken care of the windshield area.
Can't say I hear any 'extra' road noise from the driver's side at all and I have Winter tires on right now.

Peter

Not saying it is "extra" road noise. Could just be normal road noise given the factory 20" wheels. Just never really noticed it before probably due to the windshield noise being more prevalent. Road noise is also not present at slower speeds.

Not saying it is "extra" road noise. Could just be normal road noise given the factory 20" wheels. Just never really noticed it before probably due to the windshield noise being more prevalent. Road noise is also not present at slower speeds.
Okay, perhaps 'extra' was a poor choice of a word. What I meant was that I hear some road noise in general but it doesn't seem to be coming from the doors but rather from underneath the vehicle and it is rather subdued. It differs according to the road surface. On one stretch of a major highway that was repaved about a year ago, there is absolutely no sound at all. If you had you eyes closed you would think you were parked with the engine off.
If I remember correctly from my visits to my sister in San Jose, many of the highways I saw are concrete. That may produce more road noise that asphalt.
In about a month and a half I'll get the 20" wheels put back on. The Winter tires still haven't seen much of a test.

Peter

I am in so cal, and yes, concrete grooved roads are the norm. So there is a lot of noise associated to the road surface. I'll try to find a nicely new asphalt paved road to hear how it sounds.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It appears that windshield noise in the upper right area is not unique to my 2011 Explorer. I drove 90 miles and used a 1/2 vacation for my dealer to tell that "Ford is aware of the issue" and that there is "no fix at this time". How can there be such a disconnect between Ford and the dealer? Do I need to contact Ford directly to get this resolved?

Back