How many miles on your 3RD GEN! orig. tranny???? | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many miles on your 3RD GEN! orig. tranny????

'02 XLT with 133k miles. The previous owner said they had a transmission put in it "a few years ago" but thats all they could remember. They were not the original owners either. I bought it last summer and drove it around for several months and just had to put a new transmission in it 3 weeks ago :(
So an '02 with 133k and it is at least on its 3rd transmission

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

104,975 all original except batt,starter,belts,tires,and engine oil. just lucky i guess. not a single dash light since ownership bought her in 05 with 40,000

Bought my '05 with 42K it now has 115K with nothing but maintenance, and replacing consumables.

So the trans that I had put in a year ago, at approx 65,000 miles, has spring a leak, I now have about 80,000 miles on it. Truck is in the shop as I type to replace the main front pump seal. Great job on this one Ford! Thankfully its under warrenty or I'd be droping another $1000!!!!

02 mountaineer 4.0 AWD. has 151000 miles on original tranny. never had the fluid changed. the tranny does shift weird every once in a while. but nothing that i would expect out of a tranny with 151000. and i am a hard driver too.

KNOCK ON WOOD THOUGH. lol wanna try and get it to 200k before getting a new car.:)

Guess I spoke too soon... either dropped a valve or? Idling REAL rough, Knocking real loud... I don't think it made it to 157k miles. Currently in the shop to see if it can be fixed or if it's going to take another engine. I called a local Jasper Engine installer... 4.0 V6, not 4x4 also not flex fuel... $4800.00
I won't be doing that. oy!

I bought my 02 Explorer on new years eve 2005 with 49,000 and it currently has 142,000 with my original tranny and i pull the boat and our huge diesel lawn mower with it. Havent had any problems with the tranny, just flush it out every 50,000 (nocking on wood right now) lol

02 mountaineer 4.0 AWD. has 151000 miles on original tranny. never had the fluid changed. the tranny does shift weird every once in a while. but nothing that i would expect out of a tranny with 151000. and i am a hard driver too.

KNOCK ON WOOD THOUGH. lol wanna try and get it to 200k before getting a new car.:)

You have NEVER changed the fluid, cannot believe its still goin. I suggest changing it. There could be lots of little metal fragments floatin around in there. I have always changed mine every 50,000. And plus there is no dipstick to see if it is still at the appropriate fluid level

Purchased my 02' back in Nov 07' from a Ford dealership as a third hand car with 75K miles on it. Second owner with the original being an older couple who always had it serviced at the stealership for every schedule service maintenance. Currently has 153k miles on and still running strong, *KNOCK ON WOOD* no funny sounds (timming chain) from the engine and transmission shifting fine. Plan on getting the tranny flushed and replacing 75% of the suspension parts to continue having her push through 200k and so on, plus taking it overseas to Germany.

154k just hard shifts in reverse but no other issues never did a flush or changed the filter. I think it's gonna blow up soon. Lol I have a 2nd gen and it went out at 170k (crossing fingers)

154k just hard shifts in reverse but no other issues never did a flush or changed the filter. I think it's gonna blow up soon. Lol I have a 2nd gen and it went out at 170k (crossing fingers)

My '02 Explorer did the clunking thing in reverse until I reached 105K and the tranny blew. I can't believe you never changed the fluid...its amazing you aren't having more problems. I will say that replacing the tranny with a remanufactured one from Jasper Transmissions was the best thing I ever did. I'm reaching my first 30k and ready for its first fluid change. I HIGHLY recommend this transmission to anyone that has problems. They are available all over the states and they come with a 3YR/100K mile warranty, no deductible, no hassles. The company takes the Ford transmission and makes it better. It is NOT rebuilt. It is remanufactured to higher specs than even Ford itself does. The tranny is smooth as silk. The cost? 3300.00. It costs more than a rebuilt, but its way better and it wont need rebuilt again 12 months later. 30k so far...I'm a believer

cmyers2220 said:
My '02 Explorer did the clunking thing in reverse until I reached 105K and the tranny blew. I can't believe you never changed the fluid...its amazing you aren't having more problems. I will say that replacing the tranny with a remanufactured one from Jasper Transmissions was the best thing I ever did. I'm reaching my first 30k and ready for its first fluid change. I HIGHLY recommend this transmission to anyone that has problems. They are available all over the states and they come with a 3YR/100K mile warranty, no deductible, no hassles. The company takes the Ford transmission and makes it better. It is NOT rebuilt. It is remanufactured to higher specs than even Ford itself does. The tranny is smooth as silk. The cost? 3300.00. It costs more than a rebuilt, but its way better and it wont need rebuilt again 12 months later. 30k so far...I'm a believer

Well I am firm believer of if it ain't broken don't fix it. My X was purchased new back in 2003 by my pops and passed on to me in 2006. He is an old man and he never change tranny fluid Nothing. Tranny had the hard shift since 90k and I believe I've always had the rear diff hum problem since i got it. These trucks are tough. $3300 sounds expensive for a tranny. I got my 2nd gen rebuilt for like $900. Hopefully mine don't blow before I get the 4th gen, I might become a trader and go with the GC SRT-8

Well I am firm believer of if it ain't broken don't fix it. My X was purchased new back in 2003 by my pops and passed on to me in 2006. He is an old man and he never change tranny fluid Nothing. Tranny had the hard shift since 90k and I believe I've always had the rear diff hum problem since i got it. These trucks are tough. $3300 sounds expensive for a tranny. I got my 2nd gen rebuilt for like $900. Hopefully mine don't blow before I get the 4th gen, I might become a trader and go with the GC SRT-8

No, I wouldn't replace it if its still working. I got the O/D blinking light of death. 2 of the 5 gears were gone. The hard shifting started at 86k when I bought it used. The tranny went out at 105k. Yes the tranny was not cheap. The avg. quote I got for a rebuild was 2100. I was sceptical of doing the 3300 remanufacured. However, after reading posts here and other websites..many people with 02 Explorers were on their 3rd tranny!(rebuilt ones) So, if you do the math, I could possibly spend 4200 for the next two trannys...or spend 3300 on a tranny that was made right the first time. As far as tough, other than the tranny going out, this truck isn't too bad. I too have the rear diff hum. Its annoying, but not unbearable. Of course other things I've had to replace are broken rear springs(common) and two wheel bearings.

137K Never Flushed or Worked on. Live in the Sierra Nevada Mountains along Highway 50 so its always in 4x4 on the snow. Also Tow a couple thousand pounds every month since I do my own dump runs. Trans runs great. The only problem I have is when its parked on a hill nose up or down. It has a hard time getting out of park.

292,500 ish. Flushed at about 110,000, no problems since. Mostly commuter going up to Sierras more this spring and summer, hopefully holds up

02 Mountaineer AWD V6 (5R55W) went out at 110,000 miles, was rebuilt, and went bad a second time a week later. Rebuilt the transmission a second time (under warranty) as well as the transfer case. The technician said he had been rebuilding these transmissions for 12 years and had never seen one where there were pieces of the transmission inside the transfer case. This vehicle was purchased with 20,000 miles on it when it was 2 years old and had been properly maintained. Never towed anything and was always driven gently. Transmission went out with no warning whatsoever.

You guys should be careful with the "transmission flushing" Yes you should drop the pan, replace filter & re fill the fluid but not "flush" the transmission. Flushing the transmission is a gimmick that the quick lube places use. If you don't believe me than either google it or ask any real mechanic.

Anyways, 2004 Explorer 4.0 4x4
95,000 miles
no issues with engine or trans.
Just routine maintenance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

151000 miles and original tranny and motor. No tranny flushes either. Shifts perfectly fine. Sometimes the it is a little hard when the torque converter is locking up before going into overdrive tho but I think that's normal.

Back