Carlovers Desert Beater Build | Page 32 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Carlovers Desert Beater Build

Well im starting to source parts and gather up some good stuff. I figured id start a thread just to show everyone that the ideas are. Should be a pretty fun setup when done. Everything will be being built by Brandon at BTF Fab.

The rear will be a 4 link with a panhard bar and cantilever coilovers. Shooting for around 20" of rear travel. Full size van 9", and should be around 3.5" wider per side than stock

Front will be a BTF front setup more than likely with a fully fabbed spindle with d44 hubs and uniball upper and lowers. Should pull around 16-17" of travel. Will be around 5" wider a side than stock.

It will be a fairly slow build due to finances. It will be built in stages obviously and should take around 12-16 months to be fully complete.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Whoa! didnt think i'd see pics of this thing actually being on its feet when i clicked the thread! nice job.

what size tires are you running on there? look way bigger than my 35's :(

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

You'll be out at T-haven? showin me how its done yeah?

Awesome Explorer man. I wish I had some $$ to get out of my spindle lift and into a coilover setup with travel, one day

Looks like your suspension is going to work for you...nice video update! Truck looks good in the desert.

Made it a true 5 seater.

IMAG0061.jpg

Kids loaded up and ready to go in Johnson Valley.

IMAG0063.jpg

No problem. All I have left on mine is to install the power steering line that I had made which I’m picking up today and install the fuel pump and tank. Then it’s ready to fire. Although I will still need to get an F150 transfer case to convert it back to 4 wheel drive but that is going to have to wait a couple months.

Curious-how did you get the Lift to work with the torsion bars??

Seriously, Sad joke aside, I must be the ONLY member here who has missed this build!! Absolutely Incredible work!!!! Blown Away!!!!

I had the torsions in the beginning when i had the spindle lift. I havent had them since i went to the 1st long travel setup though. The coilovers take the place of the torsions.

Have you had torsion bars since you broke those bajoints?

~Mark

Back