How many miles on your 3RD GEN! orig. tranny???? | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many miles on your 3RD GEN! orig. tranny????

turborich said:
You guys should be careful with the "transmission flushing" Yes you should drop the pan, replace filter & re fill the fluid but not "flush" the transmission. Flushing the transmission is a gimmick that the quick lube places use. If you don't believe me than either google it or ask any real mechanic.

Anyways, 2004 Explorer 4.0 4x4
95,000 miles
no issues with engine or trans.
Just routine maintenance.

Since I never touched my tranny and never did any maintenance at all to the tranny and it is now 159k. I noticed it hard shifts aka clunks in reverse. Is it a good idea to take it to ford and do a drain and refill of tranny fluid now? There are people telling me it's not a good idea just run it till it stops since I never touched the fluid. I do notice tranny fluid leaking from the Pan plug about 2 drops a night as I do the cardboard under car trick. I believe the tranny oil is now getting low. It shift smoothly still except when cold start I can hear whining from Torque converter...it stops after 20 seconds of driving.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my first automatic ford..

I just bought a 97 Mountaineer with 72k on it. Test driving it the tranny checked out good. My step fathers 98 Explorer has 190,000 on it. It shifts good while driving but has trouble staying in park on any kind of an incline. I hope his mileage is a good sign for my new boat hauler.

Not to be mean but this thread is for 3rd gen 2002-2005

Since I never touched my tranny and never did any maintenance at all to the tranny and it is now 159k. I noticed it hard shifts aka clunks in reverse. Is it a good idea to take it to ford and do a drain and refill of tranny fluid now? There are people telling me it's not a good idea just run it till it stops since I never touched the fluid. I do notice tranny fluid leaking from the Pan plug about 2 drops a night as I do the cardboard under car trick. I believe the tranny oil is now getting low. It shift smoothly still except when cold start I can hear whining from Torque converter...it stops after 20 seconds of driving.

IMO I would drop the pan and see what the fluid looks like. I would only clean out the pan, change the filter & then refill with Mercon V fluid.

While maintenance is a good thing it's up to you at this point. That's a lot of miles without a trans service. It may be just fine, on the other hand the new fluid could stir up trouble. I wish I could give you the correct answer but there really isn't one as it could go either way. The people telling you to run it till it stops may be right in your case. It's your call. You have gotten a good service life out of your transmission compared to others. If you like your truck then you may want to start saving up for a trans rebuild & just drive it for now. Who knows how many more miles you will get? Maybe 100, maybe another 157k.

04 XLT 4.0L Auto 4x4 106k..shifts with no problems

My '02 Explorer did the clunking thing in reverse until I reached 105K and the tranny blew. I can't believe you never changed the fluid...its amazing you aren't having more problems. I will say that replacing the tranny with a remanufactured one from Jasper Transmissions was the best thing I ever did. I'm reaching my first 30k and ready for its first fluid change. I HIGHLY recommend this transmission to anyone that has problems. They are available all over the states and they come with a 3YR/100K mile warranty, no deductible, no hassles. The company takes the Ford transmission and makes it better. It is NOT rebuilt. It is remanufactured to higher specs than even Ford itself does. The tranny is smooth as silk. The cost? 3300.00. It costs more than a rebuilt, but its way better and it wont need rebuilt again 12 months later. 30k so far...I'm a believer

I just replaced mine a few weeks ago. Also, a Jasper. Ditto, on the reman. All the issues with this transmission have been dealt with. I would NEVER go with a standard rebuild on the 5R55S!

FORD 4R44E/4R55E/
5R44E/5R55E
UPDATES from JASPER
3 Year/100,000 Mile
Nationwide
Parts & Labor Warranty
Remanufactured in the U.S.A.
Full warranty disclosure available upon request.
Specifications subject to change without notice.
815 Wernsing Road • P.O. Box 650 • Jasper, IN 47547-0650
(800) 827-7455 • Fax (812) 634-1820 • www.jasperengines.com
AD-E06-86-53817, Rev Date: 05/12/11 Page 1 of 2
Common Failure / Concern: JASPER Solution:
Low pressures causing slipping
clutches and bands
• All wear areas of valve body are reamed to restore the hydraulic integrity of
circuit and latest updates installed
• All servo bores are vacuum tested, then reamed and sleeved (if not to spec) to
restore the hydraulic integrity of circuit

Alignment issues, bushing wear,
pump noise, front seal leaks and
fluid contamination
• New bellhousing bushing is installed and align bored 100%

Pump failure and noise • Pump gears are “Phos-Dipped” for better oil retention

No forward or delay forward
engagement.
• Modified forward clutch engagement valve

High wear on shell causing galling
and shifting problems
• Cut shell on 4.0L engines and fit with hardened washer (4R55E only)

Pump / center support bronze
washer wear
• Pump and center support washer replaced with fiber washer to prevent
bushing wear, washer wear, fluid contamination and possible unit failure

High or low line pressure, low
cooler flow at idle, overheating
condition and delay engagement
• Core valve body is built with new boost valve and sleeve kit

Low TCC apply pressure, TCC
slippage and over heating
• Core valve body is built with new TCC regulator sleeve kit

Poor shift quality, delayed forward
or reverse and low EPC pressure
• Core valve body is built with new EPC and engagement control kit

No TCC apply, low cooler flow and
delayed engagement
• Core valve body is built with new TCC modulator valve sleeve kit

Loss of 3rd or 4th gear, hot, erratic
shifting and shift timing concerns
• Core valve body is built with new end plug kit

Delayed engagement due to poor
converter fill
• Core valve body is built with new pressure regulator sleeve kit

No engine breaking, no coast clutch
apply, and no 4th for 4R units and
no 2nd or 5th gear shift for 5R units
• Valve body is built with new oversized coast clutch valve sleeve

02 V8 XLT 126k flushed tranny at 105k (was black fluid) just flushed again and fluid was dark but after 16 qts of new fluid its back to pink/red. Shifts better and not clunking.

I bought it with 95k and dealer had "supposively" done the service before i got it. Needless to say i no longer go to that dealership. (Even after they offered to give me 5 freeoil changes for my trouble.)

Some people prefer to not do a flush just change filter and change the fluid slowly i unfortunately can't do it so i go get it flushed and it works for me. Not saying either is right or wrong its up to you.

'02 Mountaineer (build date is 01/01, I think), 4.0 SOHC (which is an absolute gas DESTROYER), got around 210,400mi and change on it, and to my knowledge it's the original trans. I had the fluid and filter changed about two years ago, and other than being slow and sometimes thunky into reverse and the occasional 2-3 slip it seems to be holding up okay.

I am actually pleasantly surprised; my family has primarily owned Fords the last twenty years or so, and the one constant has always been crap automatic transmissions. This heap is paid off and still running strong, though, so here's hoping. :)

Ive got 02 ex with 72,000 on it I think Ill take the advice and get it serviced at dealer to prolong her life I really like my truck dont want it to die.

Ive got 02 ex with 72,000 on it I think Ill take the advice and get it serviced at dealer to prolong her life I really like my truck dont want it to die.

02' XLT. 130k (purchased with 112k)

Original tranny. Fluid never touched by me and no record of previous owner doing anything.

i have had the 2-3 tranny flare since about 120k, but doesn't bother me too much yet. Still feels strong.

i am in the never change tranny fluid crowd. I am 37 years old and have owned many vehicles. Only time i ever had a tranny die is the one time I DID change the fluid.

203,658 on my original powertrain. 108 miles a day for the last 7 years, I have also pulled numerous items out of harms way with the vehicle. Only thing I really need to do with very soon is replace my timing chains but I am not looking forward to pulling the engine to accomplish this.

I have 2002 explorer. Xlt
152,000 miles
Bought it with 148,000 tranny was replaced 8000 miles before I bought it as well tranny cooler, engines strong my truck is a beast happy with the 4.7

02' XLT. 130k (purchased with 112k)

Original tranny. Fluid never touched by me and no record of previous owner doing anything.

i have had the 2-3 tranny flare since about 120k, but doesn't bother me too much yet. Still feels strong.

i am in the never change tranny fluid crowd. I am 37 years old and have owned many vehicles. Only time i ever had a tranny die is the one time I DID change the fluid.

I was friends with a transmission guy, years ago. He told me the biggest mistake people make, is not servicing their transmission, at all....or, until it's too late in the game. He said that if you change the fluid, every 30K, you should have few, if any problems. BUT, if you let it go, and NEVER change the fluid, his estimate was that 90% of those die at, or before, 125K.

He changed the fluid in my '92 T-Bird, at 50K. It was fine until I traded it for my '93 E.B., at 93K. He changed the fluid in my E.B. at 40K, and 80K. He moved away, after that, and I did not get the fluid changed after that. I traded it off at 173K miles. The trans was fine.

I did not EVER change my fluid in my '02, and it died at 125,700. I wanted to get it changed, but so many shops (non-transmission shops), act like your transmission fluid contains Ebola! They won't go anywhere near it!

My Jasper transmission stated that it must be changed at 5000 miles, after installation, to maintain your warranty!!! They are the ones backing the warranty, so I guess they think it to be a really good idea.

I got a 2005 explore with 316000 Km and it works great, we hole a 10' hard top in the summer loaded with 5 of us and it works OK.

02 mounty 4.6 made it 133,000. I got a ford reman trans for 2300.00 out the door thanks to my connection at dealer. When we changed it ONLY 3-4qts came out of trans and converter. It still drove fine except 3rd gear!

03 Explorer 4.0 V6 made it 115,000mi then Ford replaced the solenoid pack and bands. Lasted 13 months! Full rebuild three weeks ago at 127,700mi. Pump went out and blew the gears to pieces... Sitting back at the transmission shop now because the 4Hi light keeps flashing. 4Lo will engage the rear, but not the front and 4Hi won't work at all... Its been flashing since I got the truck back, the dealership said the transmission shop most likely forgot to hook back up the motor that engages 4Hi.. Lets hope thats it..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought my 2002 Explorer XLS almost 3 yrs ago with 100K miles and I have not had the least bit of problems from my transmission. It now has 130k miles and it shifts like a champ. Seriously NO problems with the drivetrain or motor at all. I do indeed service the vehicle as required and know that it has been since its original purchase in 2002 by my best friend. I have otherwise had some minor issues such as the blending motor, power window switch wire severed in doorjam on drivers, abs light on, and rear power window regulator. The first three I purchased the vehicle with and the last happened last yr. Otherwise I have loved the truck. It is used mostly for city driving and towing a lrg bassboat to the utmost of remote locations. However I do have empathy for those that have had less luck with their vehicles...

Back