Replacing Seat Filters

Bill #5 Explorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
Had the Limited in yesterday to finally get caught-up on all the TSB stuff. I'm almost out of warranty at 34,800 miles.

Had the tires rotated. Not due for an oil change for another 1,000 miles or so (changing every 7,000 miles with Mobil 1 0W30).

I asked to have the seat filters changed, since the service interval is 30,000 miles. Service advisor called me and said they looked fine and did not need changing. I said "change 'em anyway". He said the charge is about $260. :eek:

I then said "whoa nilly". :D

I'll wait till the 60,000 mile mark and see how they look then.

Good job by the service advisor.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those filters are about $30 online... Motorcraft FS-104

Wow.... $200 in labor? I cant imagine they are that hard to do?

Like the cabin air filters in my Camry- $70 at the dealer. Or: Buy $6 filter, open glove box, push 2 tabs to release filter cover, remove filter, put in new filter, snap cover back on, close glove box.

Not sure how the filter on the Ex is situated, but I'd mess with it for a long time to save $200... That seems ridiculous...

Which trim has the seat filters? Is it just for the heated AND cooled seats? Just heated seats? I know I have a cabin filter, but never heard of a seat filter. I do have heated seats, but not cooled.

Had the Limited in yesterday to finally get caught-up on all the TSB stuff. I'm almost out of warranty at 34,800 miles.

Had the tires rotated. Not due for an oil change for another 1,000 miles or so (changing every 7,000 miles with Mobil 1 0W30).

I asked to have the seat filters changed, since the service interval is 30,000 miles. Service advisor called me and said they looked fine and did not need changing. I said "change 'em anyway". He said the charge is about $260. :eek:

If you eat a lot of beans, do the seat filters require changing more often? :D

Which trim has the seat filters? Is it just for the heated AND cooled seats? Just heated seats? I know I have a cabin filter, but never heard of a seat filter. I do have heated seats, but not cooled.

Just the cooled seats require the filters.

Interesting. Didn't know about seat filters. That almost sounds like something a service tech would make up to sucker a woman into paying more money

Do the seats have to be pulled to change them?

I just looked at the owners manual and it's a easy change. No reason to charge 200 bucks, maybe 20.

i almost thought this thread was created to be funny,

Do the seats have to be pulled to change them?

Not sure. But it is not an easy swap like a cabin or engine air filter. I think the Service Advisor said something about the seats needed to be "taken apart" in some way.

The replacement procedure is on pgs 162-163 on the electronic version (which can be found here) of the 2012 users manual. Doesn't look to difficult, especially for $260!

The replacement procedure is on pgs 162-163 on the electronic version (which can be found here) of the 2012 users manual. Doesn't look to difficult, especially for $260!

Hummmm. Interesting. That does look pretty easy. Thanks for the link. I'll ask another dealership what they charge. It's my company car, but I still don't like over-spending company funds.

Bottom lime, my truck is barely one year old. The filters are clean because of that. I just drive a ton. The AC seats were only use one season.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

YW.

It is also my impression that the fans run when warming the seats too, since it uses the same component to warm the seats as it does to cool them, just in reverse. This could lead to the filters getting clogged faster.

Back