Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Callsign
KG5BAQ
Lots of threads on here about on board air but only a few on specific tire air down methods. So....what is your preferred method of airing down? Likes, dislikes, approximate cost of what you use? Feel free to post pictures of what you use as well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I use the staun thingies..

DSC00454340.jpg

They do work BUT, they aren't that accurate. I've gotten better at just timing them and setting them to continuously run.

At one time I had them set to 15PSI. Over time they would get lose and come out of adjustment.. Now they will run until I just about run out of air in the tires.

I may try to set them to 15psi again and lock tight the locking ring on onto it.

~Mark

I have the same as mark above, and he's right they don't stay accurate. You can set them, but some times they will stop early, some time late. If you set them to 15psi, and stop them at say 18psi, they will not start back up, because the difference is to close.

I have another cheaper set too that I don't use anymore theat we're promised to Cybergasm...but I still don't have cash in my hand...so I still have them :rolleyes:

All I've ever used is a little cross shaped tire valve tool that you can get at any parts store for a couple bucks. I only got it for the part that unscrews out the valve core, allowing me to air down faster than anyone else. :D
I just keep my couple dollar air gauge handy to check the psi, but I can pretty much tell when I'm down to 12-15 psi by the 'whistle' the air makes when it gets to that pressure.

arb.png

Thanks for reminding me about getting an air down tool. It's a PITA to push in the shrader valve and then keep measuring air pressure.
This gadget from ARB had some good reviews, so I just bought one from my near by 4x4 shop.
They had the staun ones, but I like the way this checks the air pressure also.
They had to order it and should be here tomorrow.
I'll of course test it out.

Probably a lot slower then the stauns but at least I should be able to get some accurate readings especially the lower readings.

..I don't have these but these were discussed a few years back..

MONSTER TIRE DEFLATORS http://www.powertank.com/products/sfID1/15/productID/234

234.551.300x200.MON-7105,_Mini_Monster_Set.jpg

..My old stand by which I carry on all my key rings is a set of these...
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/T..._s=107&t_pt=8395&t_pl=103124&t_pn=RUG15104.50

15104.50.jpg

..I do own a set of these that are great and pre-set..
http://trailheaddeflators.com/product.htm

now at 4wp..
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/P...ors.aspx?t_c=11&t_s=107&t_pt=8395&t_pl=104593

fullkit_web.jpg

..Since they do come in different colors I plan to color code presets like 8#,12#, 20#...
deflator_colors3_web.jpg

..:scratch:..But for some reason, I believe you already have something better in mind...

Spill it...:popcorn:

I've kicked around the idea of making a Y type hose. That way I could screw fittings onto a pair of tires (front or rear), have it go to a single point and at that point I would use the staun system or something similar.

As it is now, the stauns work "ok" since I just put them on, walk around the truck and as the pressures come down I pull off the stauns when they are at the pressure I want.

I could do less walking and would only have to check the pressure per pair of tires if I made the y hoses. Of course, that just means more stuff in the truck.

I could air up the tires that way too. It would be like airing up 2 tires, other than I have to put a hose onto 2 tires. It would also make it easier to get the same pressure on the same axle. With a locking diff, a 1-2 psi difference is actually noticeable on the street.

~Mark

edit: I just noticed the trailhead ones Tbars4 posted above use a allen to lock the adjustment. That may work better than the ring on the staun style as the allen won't get hit/bumped/spun.

...IIRC, each full turn of the allen is like 1# when adjusting..;)

My preferred method has been the Currie Deflator, same as the ARB posted above.

DSCF5037.jpg

I have been using it for a few years and really like it. It is fast and pretty easy to use. You screw it on and then use the plunger to unscrew the valve core then let the air flow out. It has a slide valve you can shut to stop the flow and use the gage to check the pressure. I recently got my hands on a set of the hi-range Trailhead deflators like Tbars posted but I haven't had many opportunities to test them out yet to see if I like them.

..:scratch:..But for some reason, I believe you already have something better in mind...

Spill it...:popcorn:

What, cant I add some life to the offroad accessory forum by starting a conversation on airdown methods without getting my motives questioned? :D

All I can divulge is that I had my hands on about 10 different types of deflators yesterday. I'm just curious to know what everyone uses and what they think of it. Plus, I'm hoping this thread will be good for those who are looking to purchase an airdown accessory :thumbsup:

..I will accept your answer for now...

:shifty_ey ..and I'll wait for the latest creation which includes dimple dies...:p:

I use a red set of these:

15104.50.jpg

I can easily air down 2 tires at a time (4 if I tried hard.) These are not expensive, and there is nothing to break. And, more importantly, no valve stem to loose...

I've got these also. I got them free at one of the Truckhaven raffles. :)

15104.50.jpg

Put one on each tire, walk around with my gauge (which goes to 5psi) and take them off when they're at the desired psi.

I run the Stauns on my superduty, and my old toyhauler, but since I was going from 55/65 psi down to only about 15 to 20 psi, I didnt have the problem of them shutting off early because of the lower pressures.

I did have one FREEZE once, airing down in the cold.

I set my stauns using an old tire set to the pressure I wanted, and adjusted the ring until they popped off at the right setting, then just put a slight drop of locktite (pick your favorite color) on the lock ring. Refill the spare tire about 10lbs over your setpoint so you get an accurate pop-off when setting the rings.

The reason the lockring on the stauns moves, is because its the biggest, best thing to grab when screwing them onto your stems. If you dont wrench down the lockring tight, or use a toothpick drop size of locktite, then the whole lock ring, and adjuster move together and throw off the whole show.

I like them, Id get another set. Probably a low pressure set, as I have a high pressure set for the towing setup.

I've got the "natural" finish Trailhead deflators. They seem slow but work ok, they'd probably work better if I actually set them to the desired psi:rolleyes:

I've got the "natural" finish Trailhead deflators. They seem slow but work ok, they'd probably work better if I actually set them to the desired psi:rolleyes:

Do you wait for them to airdown or drive off and let them do their thing?

I just never air up from the last trip when I back it off the trailer. Actually I have these:

15104.50.jpg

We have the set above and these in Tracy's jeep:

fullkit_web.jpg

I do not like these. I have come back to a few flat tires when they do not shut off.

Do you wait for them to airdown or drive off and let them do their thing?

I'm never in a hurry anyways but i'm usually airing down with everyone else if it's at trails other than Truckhaven. At Truckhaven it doesn't matter much as you usually airdown after you set up camp and whatnot...no real rush.

As I noted before, if I actually set the psi on them I could drive while the tires air down.

Okay call me stupid ... but I don't understand why pushing the valve stem in with like a pocket knife or screw driver and checking when gettin close is a bad method ... may take 5 minutes for all 5 but I got a good digital pressure guage for like 5 bucks ...
just wonderin there's a lot i don't know !

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay call me stupid ... but I don't understand why pushing the valve stem in with like a pocket knife or screw driver and checking when gettin close is a bad method ... may take 5 minutes for all 5 but I got a good digital pressure guage for like 5 bucks ...
just wonderin there's a lot i don't know !

Takes me several minutes PER TIRE to get from 55 down to 20. Big fat 35" tires hold a LOT of air, and thats a SMALL valve! Takes about 10 minutes plus to do each tire individually by hand. Takes about 2 minutes to walk around the truck, screw on a deflater and by the time I get back to the first tire, its almost done. Unscrew and proceed!

My trailer tires air down WAY faster, but they are significantly smaller and therefore lots less air to move. The deflaters will shut off before I make it back around to unscrew them.

Back