3rd gen Explorer Blend Door Actuator Replacement | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd gen Explorer Blend Door Actuator Replacement

is the heater blend door under the dash in the white case.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

No, the blend door itself is inside the larger, black box housing behind the dash near the lower half of the center console. The whiteish looking box is the "blend door actuator" or the motor that rotates the blend door and it is bolted to the black box with an actuator arm sticking into the blend door black box thru a port. The "blend door actuator" is usually the part that fails, not the blend door itself. If you hear a clicking or clunking sound coming from behind the dash when you select heat, it should be a bad blend door actuator. This section you are in has all the repair info you need for this problem. Just look thru the older posts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is the heater blend door under the dash in the white case.

Like Exproblems said, the Blend Door Actuator is located behind the dash. This is what it looks like:

1aBDABackView.jpg

1bBDAFrontView.jpg

Here is the write-up for replacing it: How To: Replace Blend Door Actuator in 3rd Gen Ex

If you have the tell tale clicking when you adjust the temperature, most likely the actuator needs to be replaced. Good luck. :biggthump

P.S. How about those Sabres!!

Hello eveyone. I am having a heat issue as well, but I am not sure it is the blend door as described in this thread.

My heat seems to work fine. No clicking or clunking. Airflow seems to change to the appropriate vents when I select them and it is strong and hot.

My problem is my feet are always freezing. It feels as if there is hole in my firewall and cold air is coming is when I drive down the highway at high speeds. As stated above, everything works fine and I can feel the heat blowing hot out of the floor vents, but there is definately something making my feet cold.

Any ideas? I can't actually feel "cold air" coming from anywhere, but my toes freeze whenever the weather is extremely cold???

My problem is my feet are always freezing. It feels as if there is hole in my firewall and cold air is coming is when I drive down the highway at high speeds. As stated above, everything works fine and I can feel the heat blowing hot out of the floor vents, but there is definately something making my feet cold.

Any ideas? I can't actually feel "cold air" coming from anywhere, but my toes freeze whenever the weather is extremely cold???
>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sounds like your "air recirculation door" could be allowing cold air into the vehicle thru behind the glove box area, but when that goes bad, you usually lose strong blower air flow thru your dash vents as a tell tale sign the air recirc door failed or broke. Not being a smart-ass here, but you could just be sensitive to the cold and it affects your feet. For me, the cold stings my hands and finger joints, comes with age and arthritis. Since you said you get good heat into the vehicle and it is strong, your toes shouldn't be getting cold unless some other issue is at fault. My suggestion is if everything appears to be working correctly with your heat controls and dash vents, wear a thicker pair of socks or winter boots when driving. :thumbsup:

There's actually an easy repair to the small stripped gear inside the actuator. I did this with mine and it has lasted 3 years and still going strong...

1) Open up the actuator by pulling up on the tabs (8)
2) Remove the gears (3), remembering what position they were in when removed.
3) Thoroughly clean the gear of all grease (most important)
4) Apply silicone where the stripped teeth are. Let dry for a few days.
5) Place heat shrink tubing around the gear and melt it with a soldering iron.
"DO NOT" use a lighter or heat gun as it will destroy the gear...
6) Grease the gears with long life lithium grease.
7) Put everything back together and test to make sure the gears operate freely.
8) If you did everything correctly, it will give you many more years of service...

There's actually an easy repair to the small stripped gear inside the actuator. I did this with mine and it has lasted 3 years and still going strong...

1) Open up the actuator by pulling up on the tabs (8)
2) Remove the gears (3), remembering what position they were in when removed.
3) Thoroughly clean the gear of all grease (most important)
4) Apply silicone where the stripped teeth are. Let dry for a few days.
5) Place heat shrink tubing around the gear and melt it with a soldering iron.
"DO NOT" use a lighter or heat gun as it will destroy the gear...
6) Grease the gears with long life lithium grease.
7) Put everything back together and test to make sure the gears operate freely.
8) If you did everything correctly, it will give you many more years of service...

Nice tip Rick. Haven't seen you around. I hope all is well. :thumbsup:

Thanks Rondo, I only use my explorer around my property now as it needs a lot of work. I've also found a few gears for other projects that I have done at hobby stores.

New to this forum; happy I found it.

I've searched for this issue, and I believe I'm in the right place.

I have a 2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 (I'm not sure about generations as I've seen others write). When I turn my thermostat toward heat, I get the clicking and no heat. As long as the thermostat is in the coldest position, no clicking and I do get the AC. So, three questions, is this likely the heat door/blend door actuator? Is this relatively easy to replace if the only mechanical thing you've done to your vehicle is change a right rear turn signal bulb and added coolant? And, if I can't do it, does $500+tax seem a reasonable price for taking it to Goodyear?

Definitely sounds like the blend door issue I had...they wanted 800.00 at the dealer and with the help from this thread it cost me 43.00...1.5 hrs. to repair...
My brother and a Friend also had the same issue....43.00 fix for each of them too!
but are you mechanically inclined??...its not a hard job at all with Big Rondos write up! but it does help to have some history with tools...

I have a 2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 (I'm not sure about generations as I've seen others write). When I turn my thermostat toward heat, I get the clicking and no heat. As long as the thermostat is in the coldest position, no clicking and I do get the AC. So, three questions, is this likely the heat door/blend door actuator? Is this relatively easy to replace if the only mechanical thing you've done to your vehicle is change a right rear turn signal bulb and added coolant? And, if I can't do it, does $500+tax seem a reasonable price for taking it to Goodyear?

Hi, My english is not 100% but I´ll try to help you. I got exactly the same issue. There is an emergency and quick way to heat your car while you buy the part and find who can replace it. Complete open the glove compartment (right side of the dash) to reach the door/blend gate with your right hand fingers. (is little dificult to find the right opening to doit but is possible. Turn the knob several times with your left hand to "feel" on your fingers how the gate work. When you turn the knob to hot, you need to help the gate to keep going forward and complete the function to "closed".
Put a masking tape to hold the knob on hot position and don´t move it during winter season.
If you move the knob to cold by accident, you need to repeat the manual set-up. good luck.

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

This thread and my write up are for changing the Blend Door Actuator in the 3rd Gen Explorers (2002-2005). You have a 4th Gen Explorer (2006-2010).

If you post your question on the 4th Gen Sub Forum, I'm sure someone over there will point you in the right direction. Click on the link to go there now: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=111

Good luck and happy Exploring!! :D:thumbsup:

Hey everybody, I have just had a mechanic replace the actuator on my 05 explorer. Got it home and 2 days later no heat... I took it back to the mechanic and he looked it over. now he says the blend door itself is not funcioning correctly. He also says it's the same amount of labor and 450+ for the blend door plenum, s ford doesn't just sell the blend door itself anymore.
I need options, please!! i don't have another grand to put into this thing!!!

Hey everybody, I have just had a mechanic replace the actuator on my 05 explorer. Got it home and 2 days later no heat... I took it back to the mechanic and he looked it over. now he says the blend door itself is not funcioning correctly. He also says it's the same amount of labor and 450+ for the blend door plenum, s ford doesn't just sell the blend door itself anymore.

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

Try doing a search for "blend door". There are several threads on the topic.

Good luck with the fix. :D:thumbsup:

Guys, sorry to ressurect this, but three months ago I searched and found a thread with lots of pictures on how to remove the console and such. I cannot find it now.

Can someone please point me to where I will find:

1) Part # for the blend door actuator for a Ford Explorer 2004 XLS single A/C system?
2) anybody know what page within this thread, or what other thread, has photos of each step of removing the console, kick panel, etc? Or better yet if anyone has posted the procedure on youtube?

I want to do this as a 2-3 hour project with my 17 yr. old daughter, whose truck this is.

The only tools we have in the house are philips screw driver, flat head screw driver, vice grips, and hammer. When I read in this thread about socket this and extension that, my eyes just glaze over.

Thanks.

oops, never mind. I see it is in the STICKY section.

Good luck getting it sorted!! :biggthump

2nd Gen 2000 Explorer XLT w/ manual temperature control

So I found an easier way to temporarily get around the no-heat issue due to a Bad Blend Door Actuator this morning, as the high today is only expected to be in the 20's. I unplugged the connector, tapped on the part, then plugged the connector back in with the manual temperature setting set all the way hot (where I wanted it to move to) and the key on. As soon as I plugged it in I heard the motor activate and voila, I had heat. Free and fast, and might work for some of the rest of you without having to cut a hole or buy a new unit. Now I'm good until spring since it has stuck, fortunately, in the hot position for now. Ymmv, but I hope this helps at least someone. :)

Hi,
Just for emergency purposes: Open the glove box all the way ´till you can put your hand through the interior of the dash. Try to put your right hand fingers in the left side (close to the control knobs by inside) then with your left hand move the temperature knob back and forth and you´ll feel a piece moving on your left fingers. (that piece is the end of the actuator axle). Put the knob on Hot and turn the axle to that direction helping with your fingers).
the axle will continue going to the closed position by itself.
When you feel hot air, put a tape over the knob to keep on position all the winter season. Let me know if you need pictures to help you....

Well, my luck ran out on the replacement blend door actuator that I did on my 2005 Explorer back in 2009 (documented way earlier in this thread!).

Can't complain, I guess, the original part only lasted 4 years, the replacement (Ford) part lasted about 5.5...

Has anyone sourced an actual replacement for just the plastic gear yet? Mine has manual controls, and no rear controls.

Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I should have originally posted this here

I have a 2002 Explorer Limited with the electronic dual zone air conditioning and heating system. I have ran into the problem of the passenger side blowing warm air in the driver side zone blowing very cold air.

I ran the self diagnostics on the AC control head and got the following errors:

I was advised to purchase a Motorcraft part number YH-1759 actuator motor. I have been unsuccessful with my attempts to locate a shematic of the system. I am assuming it has two actuators and not one? I know one exists on the left side above the gas pedal area which requires removal of the center console. I am unsure of where the second one is. I guess I would have to replace both of them? I called the local dealer and they said I would only require the 1759 part to fix it.

For those who have experience, would you be kind enough to advise where I can find a diagram and if I actually need two actuators?

Back