02 Explorer, another starting problem thread. | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Explorer, another starting problem thread.

Can you give me an idea of which fuses are for the injectors?

Also I can't even remove the intake without some new tools. The torx sockets I have a real fat at one end and won't fit down in there to get some of the bolts out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well all the fuses seem to be good, the one injector I can reach with the intake still there measures at 16 ohms.

seems like your going through what i went thru...picked up a 2000 for $800 w/o it starting....spark plug gaps were .94 and looked liked they never been changed, fuel filter was leaking I couldnt get that off so i hacksawed it , cut the fuel line up top with a line cutter and rubber hosed a line with clamps in there, all you have to buy is the connector to the new filter,(quick disconnects much easier) 2ft. of fuel hose and 4 clamps....my compression was low on the drivers side when i checked 50 psi, now im in the process of checking my valves for damage and taking off the timing cover to check the tensioners, guides & chains.

i was reading your thread and dont recall you ever stating how many miles were on it?

Hah, it's got a lot. 175xxx. I wouldn't of bought it if it were a 2000. Don't like that body style and it's just a tad to old. This ones compression should be alright. Maybe not perfect but alright. Also I didn't cut the fuel line it self, just the end of the filter.

I'm thinking that maybe when the guy did the fuel pump he got something in the fuel line, or something got picked up from the tank and clogged the injectors.

Hah, it's got a lot. 175xxx. I wouldn't of bought it if it were a 2000. Don't like that body style and it's just a tad to old. This ones compression should be alright. Maybe not perfect but alright. Also I didn't cut the fuel line it self, just the end of the filter.

I'm thinking that maybe when the guy did the fuel pump he got something in the fuel line, or something got picked up from the tank and clogged the injectors.

11- 18 ohms is the spec for the injectors , on my 97 4.0L my injectors failed right around 200K , i gave that explorer away after i got my 2005 , the 97 is still going after 300K miles .

did you ever check the fuel pressure (60-65 psi) , i know you said you had the gauge but never said if you checked it or not ?

you can listen for a clicking noise at each injector with a stethoscope as well . not sure if you will be able to reach them with a stethoscope tho.

if you hear it clicking it is opening and closing

11- 18 ohms is the spec for the injectors , on my 97 4.0L my injectors failed right around 200K , i gave that explorer away after i got my 2005 , the 97 is still going after 300K miles .

did you ever check the fuel pressure (60-65 psi) , i know you said you had the gauge but never said if you checked it or not ?

I posted that the gauge set I got was not working. I haven't tried to find another one yet. I didn't really want to buy a set.

Well, I have been working on getting the intake manifold off so I can get to the injectors and pull them out and test them all to see if they are still functioning. If they all click and seem like they are working then I'm either going to buy a rebuild kit for them, or buy a used set off a forum member and rebuild those. So either way I'm going to be doing some injector cleaning/rebuilding. The used set has like 34k miles on it, but I figure they are out I might as well give them a good cleaning and put new filters and o-rings on them.

Pain in the ass getting this intake mani off though! I had to buy a different torx driver because the one I had was too big to fit in between the manifold to get at one of the bolts in the back. Then I find out there is one WAY in the back of the engine and my extensions are too long but I can't get a shorter one in there. So tomorrow I have to pick up a flexible extension.

Also there is a metal UFO shaped thing attached to the throttle body section of the manifold, and it has a metal pipe that bends and goes down into the bottom of the engine. Any idea what this is? Can I just disconnect the pipe? It has like a screw fitting on it. I don't see any other way to remove it, but I'm not sure what's in it so I wanted to ask first.

Well, I have been working on getting the intake manifold off so I can get to the injectors and pull them out and test them all to see if they are still functioning. If they all click and seem like they are working then I'm either going to buy a rebuild kit for them, or buy a used set off a forum member and rebuild those. So either way I'm going to be doing some injector cleaning/rebuilding. The used set has like 34k miles on it, but I figure they are out I might as well give them a good cleaning and put new filters and o-rings on them.

Pain in the ass getting this intake mani off though! I had to buy a different torx driver because the one I had was too big to fit in between the manifold to get at one of the bolts in the back. Then I find out there is one WAY in the back of the engine and my extensions are too long but I can't get a shorter one in there. So tomorrow I have to pick up a flexible extension.

Also there is a metal UFO shaped thing attached to the throttle body section of the manifold, and it has a metal pipe that bends and goes down into the bottom of the engine. Any idea what this is? Can I just disconnect the pipe? It has like a screw fitting on it. I don't see any other way to remove it, but I'm not sure what's in it so I wanted to ask first.

can you post a pic of the "UFO shaped thing"

Yeah I'll snap a pic of it tomorrow. It's all dark out now.

Ok I bought some used injectors with 34k miles on them for 50 bucks, then ordered a rebuild kit that includes the pintle caps, o-rings, and filters for all 6 injectors for 24.99 shipped. For that cheap I figure I should just replace the injectors regardless since they have 175k miles on them lol.

I bought the flex extension so I'm going to head out to finish removing the intake soon, I'll snap a pic of the item in question when I go out.

Here are the pictures of the UFO shaped item attached to the throttle-body/intake.

IMAG0188.jpg

IMAG0189.jpg

Thats the EGR valve (the UFO shaped thing) , spray some rust bust on it and you can take that metal pipe out of the way , you might have to loosen it at the exhaust manifold also to get it out of your way. Be careful not to crack it tho.

Alright thanks, It looks like there are a couple bolts that are attaching it to the throttle body, might not be easy to reach though so I'll see which seems easier to remove.

fixed my problem the rear converter was plugged solid removed 02 senser fired right up having it replaced saturday

Hmmm might have to check that out.

Ugh! I am getting way frustrated here. I'm not sure how you are supposed to remove the intake manifold! That screw in the back just seems to be unreachable with a tool! I can barely touch it with one of my fingertips and I can get the torx driver back there but I can't seem to get it into the hole for it. I'm not sure what to do here it's just pissing me off!

Well, I still can't get that rear bolt off, I found a good spot to get to it but I think it's too rusted over to get the torx driver down into it. I tried getting a socket onto it as well that was a bit smaller and trying to hammer it down over it (hard to do back there), I couldn't get that to work either. I think I may post up an ad in the calssifieds here and see if I can get an intake for cheap and just break this one off so I can pull that bolt out and replace it with a good one.

Also the nut on the EGR hasn't budged for me, but I was just using some channel locks and didn't try TOO hard because I don't want to mar it up. I'm going to have to pick up an open ended wrench that size or maybe some vice grips.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back