Cargo area, 3rd row seat back cracks. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cargo area, 3rd row seat back cracks.

Strike, did you ever get this fixed?

No it is as it was. Doesn't show with seats up so I keep them up.

I was planning on calling my dealer and seeing if they could cover it under warranty. I'll post the results.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hope it all works out for you :)

One of the "hinges" in my seats snapped out of the cardboard/wood backs. Unfortunately found out when I was sticking my hand under the seat when it was in the fold position and gashed my hand.

Essentially when it is in the fold position, there are pieces of sheet metal bent like a hinge (or maybe not meant not to be a hinge) but they are just punched into the wood. (not much strength)

Well, tonight I suffered the same issue as strike. Although my break isn't nearly as bad and only effects the passenger side seat. I have a partial break, not all the way across the panel. After taking a closer look, I really think Ford messed up using those thin panels. Mine broke as I was crawling around in the backing doing some vacuuming of the cargo area. Granted I'm 6' 2" and 215 pounds. I thought I had my weight well distributed across all knees and hands because I remembered this thread. Then I heard a crack and my weigh shift. :(

I too will be stopping my dealership or calling in to see what can be done. If I have to pay to get it fixed, I'm not replacing with same part. Or I will use additional bracing underneath. I looked tonight, I think it can be done.

Rear cargo weight limit?

How much can the rear cargo carry? I put some heavy cargo in the back with the third row seats folded down and as i was putting the heavy cargo, i heard the seats start to crack and now they dont go down as easy and they go down uneven. I hope the warranty covers this.

How much or what heavy cargo?

careful, there was a fellow member that broke the cheap fiberboard seat backing by loading something heavy...

Dunno how much it's rated to hold, but I had twenty 50 lb bags of stone in the back of my Explorer last weekend with no problems.

Dunno how much it's rated to hold, but I had twenty 50 lb bags of stone in the back of my Explorer last weekend with no problems.

I must have dropped them in too fast and it cracked a weak spot

I'm thinking it's not to be loaded with cargo like the F150 commercials where 2 tons of concrete is dumped in there with a front end loader.

Seriously, if you look a the seats, they're defiantly not designed for heavy duty use. Remember Ford's targeted audience for this vehicle (think soccer moms).

Bags of mulch evenly loaded in there, should be no problem. Throwing in a few full size tire and wheel assemblies probably not a good idea.

I'm thinking it's not to be loaded with cargo like the F150 commercials where 2 tons of concrete is dumped in there with a front end loader.

Seriously, if you look a the seats, they're defiantly not designed for heavy duty use. Remember Ford's targeted audience for this vehicle (think soccer moms).

Bags of mulch evenly loaded in there, should be no problem. Throwing in a few full size tire and wheel assemblies probably not a good idea.

Wheels and tires shouldn't cause any issues since the weight would be distributed over a large area. The problems would come from putting in a heavy object with a small surface area on the floor like an anvil.

Techieman33 - I agree tires should be ok as long as you don't just throw them in. That's what I meant to emphasize, it not only what you're hauling but how you load it.

So did anyone contact the dealer on this issue...I had the same thing happen to mine this week...8-(

I've carried a lot more than that (250#), both seats down, 8 duffle bags @ about 65-75 per bag.

I would suggest some sort of cut ply wood to disperse the weight more, especially if it could suddenly shift and if this is a usual occurance.

I had a similar issue. Though i was inside installing some LED lights when getting out that same area cracked for me. I do weigh 295 lbs... So if the weight is not dispersed over the area they will break... Lame if you ask me needs to be stronger in my opinion. If I was in a pinch and wanted to camp out in the back say good bye to both seat backings. Guess i need to lose weight...!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...I was planning on calling my dealer and seeing if they could cover it under warranty...
Well, tonight I suffered the same issue as strike...
So did anyone contact the dealer on this issue...I had the same thing happen to mine this week...8-(
I had a similar issue. Though i was inside installing some LED lights when getting out that same area cracked for me...
strike, deewan, bluex232, & WillClark,

We are actively working very hard to correct this issue, and you should contact your dealer for replacement/repair. I can lend a hand by sending the details to the Customer Service Manager for your area. If you haven’t already, please send me a PM with your VIN, contact information, approximate mileage, and dealer name/state.

...Essentially when it is in the fold position, there are pieces of sheet metal bent like a hinge...
I recommend showing your dealer, BobbyTony. Have you tried calling the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Centre @ 1-800-565-3673?

Cory

Back