what should i look before buying my 5.0? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what should i look before buying my 5.0?

yeh with what ive read i see its agreed among many members that the stock manifolds truly suck

as for intake i could look into making my own .. with my old car there wasnt such a thing since it was so restrictive with air , but ill also look into a believe a MAC Cai? id like to mount my own heat shield but im also willing to consider a intake with one already made onto it

bilstein shocks are a must for me , personally believe bilstein are the best , i had them on my chevy blazer and it stiffened ride so it wasn't so bouncy and gave it a firmer ride .. for me firmness is most important , this isnt no SRT8 Jeep but id like to have control if i hit bumps or if im making a turn faster than the speed limit suggests

i will be purchasing tires , my brother uses the BF goodrich AT and theyve performed very well in all weather conditions and i know there reccomened from many people

my mod list that will be done first and in order of importance is ... bilstein shocks , intake since i have a stock tube with a dirty filter , tires and HIDs .. that should be done within 3 weeks but i want to first just get a good impression that everything is running smooth before i do any particular modding

performance wise although im not trying to do much performance wise but i will consider headers but ive read there in the 800 dollar price range .. unless if theres a manifold swap? i forget what ive read

You may want to consider General Grabber AT2's, they're a little more affordable then BFG's.

Also, you can get FMS headers for about $250 to replace the stock manifolds.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also look into kkm intake. I think they are designed by a former ford engineer

Even thought you are multi leaf in the rear you can still add more to stiffen the ride. I love my BFg ats they are amazing, most important for me is that they are snow rating which comes in handy up here in Canada. Ya the headers are pricey but from what I've heard they are highly suggested and will get you better mpgs making up for the cost.

Also look into kkm intake. I think they are designed by a former ford engineer

Even thought you are multi leaf in the rear you can still add more to stiffen the ride. I love my BFg ats they are amazing, most important for me is that they are snow rating which comes in handy up here in Canada. Ya the headers are pricey but from what I've heard they are highly suggested and will get you better mpgs making up for the cost.

KKM is nothing but an overpriced MAF adapter, and a cone filter.

Yeh the blazer was unreliable

My update is I saw the truck today but since it's not registered I couldn't drive it but I paid half for it and tomorow I'll b picking it up in a tow truck and will be dropping it off to my mechanic

Truck is nice , didn't expect so many features , I could record myself and have a cd player in the center console

The truck is filthy it needs a hardcore detail , needs new tires and the radio lights are out
Brake pedal is weak but it's been parked for a while but like I said I will be bringing it to my mechanic

The outside overall is in good condition , considering the bird **** on it and it's been sitting for a while it wil look good after a cleaning

The steering wheel is faded which bothers me

I'll post a couple pictures

Wait I don't see manage attachments .. Maybe my post count .. I'll post them in a few moments on my phone

Awesome, looks good... little work and she be as good as new :D

Listen for bad hub bearings at cruising speed, make sure there's no binding when turning, make sure tranny shifts nice, and it doesn't shudder when going into or coming out of OD, check for obvious signs of a blown head gasket, test all electronics/switches, check rocker panels and frame for excessive rust, make sure A/C and Heat work.

What does the binding when turning tell you? What causes this?

I need to buy a OEM radio , mine doesn't light up ... Since I have an eddie Bauer can I still buy any one for my 2000?

What does the binding when turning tell you? What causes this?

could be a number of problems, pwr steering system, front driveshaft, transfer case, etc.

^^^i saw that but its to much work, i bought a OEM radio already .. looks brand new too

im gonna hold off for a little on doing more stuff to the work for now

this past week between buying th truck , buying tires , registering it , spending 730 dollars at the mechanic getting 4 new brake rotors and pads all arund and brake lies and bleeding everything plus HIDS , new OEM radio , fogs and tomorrow a very nice detail
im gonna chill for a minute on buying stuff

I can wait to see the after pics!

I lied and bought the MaC CAI .. Now I'm done buying stuff lol

Attachments

• air dam.jpg
    air dam.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 159

Back