• Register Today It's free!

Can a bad PCM make a tranny fail?

Oldwolf

Reaction score
City, State
Cary, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT, 4x4, 4.0 SOHC
Is there anyway a faulty PCM (powertrain control module) can make a 5R55W transmission fail? Such as the losing high gear and destructing the high gear band?

The engine is running fine still and the problem originated when I was cruising down the highway and all of a sudden lost OD and 5th with a thud.

The dealer installed a new factory rebuilt transmission because this is a 2 yr old rebuilt unit.

The new one he just installed replace would not shift correctly and also it had a bad front pump.

Working with FOMOCO they have rebuilt the new unit they just installed. However the forward pump started squealing immediately so the had to remove the tranny again, replace the pump, and reinstall. Tomorrow they will test the unit again.

Dealer is saying the "readings" from the PCM were not consistent and that intermittent problems in the PCM signal could have made the tranny fail in the first place.

Is this a possibility?

Thanks for your comments.

i dont know if it would make it fail...currently @ 190k on my 03- orig tranny, no rebuild. I did a pcm flash @ 160 i think and it made an amazing difference- shifted smoother. I flushed @ 100, 150, and will again at 200.

.........Dealer is saying the "readings" from the PCM were not consistent and that intermittent problems in the PCM signal could have made the tranny fail in the first place.

Is this a possibility?

Thanks for your comments.

IMO, very unlikely. imp

Back