Reaction score
City, State
iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 XLT
My local dealer called yesterday and said your 2012 explorer has a
recall on the cooling fan, needs to be reprogrammed. Anyone else
get this notice?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i still have not received a letter, package or phone call about the MFT upgrade so I'm not holding my breath about getting a call about the fans..... lmao

get this notice?

No, this is the first I've heard of a recall on the 2012 explorer. And I'm surprised your dealer called you. My dealer has never call me - even when ordered parts came in to the shop.

get this notice?
Have you had the MFT performance upgrade done yet?
I know that the ones having to get the dealer to do it had to get the tech to program the fans to run at a high speed but I'm not aware of recall for reprogramming. I did read a post the other day saying that the dealer told him a recall was going to be issued for the cooling fans on some Explorers.

I also have not received anything yet telling me to take mine to the dealer for the upgrade, which I had done last month.

Peter

Only recall I could find was for 2011 Explorers:

Recall data for: 2011 FORD EXPLORER
NHTSA Campaign Number: 11V063000
Manufacturer Campaign Number: 11C15
Make: FORD
Model: EXPLORER
Year: 2011
Component:
SEATS
Manufacturers Involved: FORD MOTOR COMPANY
Begin Date Of Manufacturing:
End Date Of Manufacturing:
Recall Type: V
Potential Number Of Units Affected: 1658
Date Owner Notified By Manufacturer: 20110215
Recall Initiator: MFR
Manufacturer Responsible For Recall: FORD MOTOR COMPANY
Date Report Received By ODI: 20110202
Date Added To File: 20110204
Regulation Part Number: 571
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard Number: 207
Defect Summary:
FORD IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2011 EXPLORER VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM JULY 15, 2010, THROUGH DECEMBER 13, 2010, EQUIPPED WITH SECOND ROW 60% SEATS WITH MANUAL RECLINER MECHANISMS THAT MAY HAVE COMPONENTS THAT ARE OUT OF DIMENSIONAL SPECIFICATION. THESE SEATS FAIL TO CONFORM TO THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 207, "SEATING SYSTEMS."
Consequence Summary:
IN THE EVENT OF A CRASH, THE SEAT BACK MAY NOT PROVIDE THE REQUIRED STRENGTH, INCREASING THE RISK OF INJURY.
Corrective Action:
FORD WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND DEALERS WILL REPAIR THE SEATS FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON FEBRUARY 15, 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT FORD MOTOR COMPANY CUSTOMER RELATIONSHIP CENTER AT 1-866-436-7332.

^ That problem was discovered during the manufacturing of the 2011 model. I was patiently waiting for mine and I recall reading about a delay on the assembly line because of this issue.
I also am not aware of any other Recall.....for now.

Peter

Recall

I thought it was very strange the dealer called me about this,
that is why I posted here. Yes I did the upgrade myself and had
no propblem with it. There are a couple of things I don't like
about it but so far it has worked ok!

I just received this afternoon a notice of a recall via mail from my local dealer. Recall number 12B36, does not give any details. I already left a voice message at the dealership.
If this is for the failing fans, then :thumbsup: to FORD for doing the right thing!
As soon as I heard back from the dealership I will post what is this recall about.

4521 - announcing field service action 12b36
demonstration / delivery hold - customer satisfaction program 12b36:

Certain 2011-2012 model year explorer vehicles equipped with a 3.5l engine - pcm reprogram - cooling fan strategy. Refer to fmcdealer.com.

I think the squeal we hear after the engine shtus off may be the fan...I wonder if this is part of it...I hope...the high pitch squeal is driving me nuts...it lasts about 15 seconds after engine if off..

I picked mine up yesterday for some other issues that were being fixed. The service manager said they they needed to reprogram something in the computer regarding the cooling fans. they said it was a new update ford had just released. had my cooling fan replaced last June after it failed when idling, but he said this was not another parts replacement, just a system update

I think the squeal we hear after the engine shtus off may be the fan...I wonder if this is part of it...I hope...the high pitch squeal is driving me nuts...it lasts about 15 seconds after engine if off..
Sounds like this should be covered under TSB 11-7-21 COOLING FAN NOISE, LACK OF A/C AND/OR OVERHEAT CONDITION

Peter

Have not seen anything

Dealer said it's a software reprogram for the powertrain control module - Cooling Fan Strategy.
Not an actual fan cooling module replacement :(

As I stated above in post #11
Yeah, but I had a hope that it was an actual part replacement and that I we would not have to deal with this ticking time bomb.
I though that the cooling fans were being replaced because they were actually failing, not because of faulty software programming, maybe it's a combination of both.
I still wonder if this re-program will avoid overheat conditions in the future

Well, my dealer replaced the fans AND did the reprogram. I'll see if I can get any more info on what the reprogram is about when I pick it up today.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone know / able to find out what range of manufacture dates this recall affects? I'm compiling a shopping list of TSB's to get done in one dealer visit - already got tin roof drum and weird tailgate behaviour to sort.

Back