• Register Today It's free!

explorer antenna

russell bruesch

Reaction score
City, State
new buffalo michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 limited explorer
Does the antenna on the roof recieve all signals from gps satellite,sirius satelite, and am/fm radio? Is there another antenna mbuilt into the vehicle somewhere. The reason i ask is that my am/fm reception sucks compare to all other vehicles i have owned. I live 40 miles across lake michigan in michigan and can barely pick up chicago radio stations. My other vehicles could pick up chicago stations 300 miles away from chicago. My GPS signal also drops out sometimes for several minutes when i am traveling. Anyone else have problems with reception.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My AM reception sucks too. And it seems like a recent issue. I wonder what's going on?

My AM reception has also faltered in the last few days. Difference is that I drive a Subaru.

Are we having a nasty sunspot outbreak right now?

Here is a space weather report, but I am not sure what in the hell it means, lol:

http://spaceweather.com/

Does the antenna on the roof recieve all signals from gps satellite,sirius satelite, and am/fm radio? Is there another antenna mbuilt into the vehicle somewhere. The reason i ask is that my am/fm reception sucks compare to all other vehicles i have owned. I live 40 miles across lake michigan in michigan and can barely pick up chicago radio stations. My other vehicles could pick up chicago stations 300 miles away from chicago. My GPS signal also drops out sometimes for several minutes when i am traveling. Anyone else have problems with reception.

No problem with reception. I'm in Delaware. Only one antenna location. GPS antenna is located under the stick antenna housing. There is another older thread about changing to "Shark antenna" but don't know if that improves reception.

I have two other vehicles presently that get perfect radio reception am./fm.from chicago .
My new explorer parked right next to these vehicles is mostly static when tuned to the same radio stations. Very disappointing. I think i would need to be right next to the radio station to get a good signal. I will have to have my dealer look at the antenna connection i guess. Is there an option for a more powerfull antenna?

I thought I might have been the only one on here who listens to AM radio, so I didn't bother to post it, but yes the AM reception on the Sony HD radio is really sucky! I'm talking major buzz that fluctuates up and down as you pass under power lines.

Luckily I have found that most AM stations in Atlanta have simulcasts on HD radio, but I think if you live outside a Metro area you would be SOL trying to listen to AM.

I also have the Sony HR radio and its reception has been terrible! What I hate the most is when I pass by cars with FM/AM transmitters installed for their mobile devices and they mess up my reception. I replaced my antenna with one of those heavy duty hidden truck antennas and I have gotten good reception all throughout. Whenever I do have reception problems is when I get out of range of that specific station which happens rarely.

Can you post pictures of your new antenna ??

My AM reception sucks too. I wonder what's going on?

I too am struggling with this issue. Clearly the AM reception on my new Ford Explorer 2011 is extreme poor. I cannot get stations that are loud and clear as in my other vehicles. Has anyone found a solution to this issue/problem or where I could get help ?

Thanks

My AM radio is the worst radio I have ever had in a car! 2011 limited

My issue with the AM/FM antenna is that it was hitting the bottom edge of the garage door. I fabricated an antenna which is 2" shorter than OEM, covered it with several layers of black heat-shrink tubing, and so far, it's working fine. Just picked up the wife's 2013 on Friday, so I may hear some additional reviews from her after her drive next weekend to visit her mother in Mathews County on the Chespeake Bay.

My issue with the AM/FM antenna is that it was hitting the bottom edge of the garage door. I fabricated an antenna which is 2" shorter than OEM, covered it with several layers of black heat-shrink tubing, and so far, it's working fine. Just picked up the wife's 2013 on Friday, so I may hear some additional reviews from her after her drive next weekend to visit her mother in Mathews County on the Chespeake Bay.
Have you thought about replacing it with a shark fin antenna? A few people have gone to that antenna.
Check out the thread My 2012 Fod Explorer Limited by NY1PR2012.

Peter

Here's the LINK :)

I listen to 95% AM radio. I have the shark fin and have no reception problems. But I don't have the Sony radio. Just the stock xlt.

Have you thought about replacing it with a shark fin antenna?
Honestly, I never heard of it until this morning when I stumbled upon it in this forum. Mrs. Landyot is currently happy with the antenna I made, and I'll leave it as is for now. If she experiences too much station fade when she is further away next weekend, then I might consider the shark fin as an alternative.

I have a question i have not had many issues with my explorer she has been very good to me, but i had xm radio on my caddy cts4 2008 and never had any reception loss but with the explorer the sirius goes in and out more than the xm is it a redio thing or what?? I have the shark fin antenna but it was doing that even with the stock antenna my friend has a mazda 2012 and his is the same but when he had his bimmer with sirius it never happen any idea why ?????

I have a question i have not had many issues with my explorer she has been very good to me, but i had xm radio on my caddy cts4 2008 and never had any reception loss but with the explorer the sirius goes in and out more than the xm is it a redio thing or what?? I have the shark fin antenna but it was doing that even with the stock antenna my friend has a mazda 2012 and his is the same but when he had his bimmer with sirius it never happen any idea why ?????
I listen to Sirius probably 90% of the time and have not experienced any problems.

Peter

Peter, when i'm driving in open road i have no issues but in the city then i have the issues.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bad AM reception is NOT limited to the explorer but lots of other brands too.

Back