• Register Today It's free!

Finally just gave up.

stripesace

Reaction score
City, State
The Woodlands, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
I finally just gave up on the explorer. even with the most recent MFT update there were just too many issues that I just got tired of dealing with. Ford literally wore me out on keeping a list to take to the dealer only to say they couldn't recreate it or some other thing. So I traded the bloody thing in on a Mini Cooper S Countryman. Been a blast drive and the 30 MPG aint bad either... (when I'm not trying to have so much fun driving the thing!)

The irony here is the night I got home with the new car, there was a letter in my mailbox saying my Explorer had been identified as potentially having a problem with the cooling fan that could lead to the engine not cooling and thus failing... Not a moment to soon did I make that thing someone else's problem!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I feel you just had a bull **** repair shop !!!!

yes i agree, Ford needs to step up and make their dealership be accountable for everything that these Explorers r having problem with and make them fix all of the problems. It is only right, I am a Ford man and always will b but i am so scared of my new 13 Limited having problems.

After looking over the 2013 Explorer I feel they finally got it right. I was at one of the larger dealership networks in this area. When they could replicate the problem they were great at fixing it. There was just a lot of things that were the nature of the MFT that just couldn't be duplicated because they were so sporadic. No one could ever seem to replicate the hard shift into 3rd despite me having video recordings of two separate instances.

My wife hated the car after the MFT froze with the heated seats on high and had a heat rash for a day or so... Ford still wouldn't replace the unit as a whole because the update was coming. I just got tired of dealing with it. I needed a new windshield from a chip/crack but it took 2 attempts to get rid of the whistle the first time. Didn't want to chance it. The bluetooth noise problem... no one would ever take responsibility and do the foam trick for the tin roof when it rained problem even though it is well documented even in Fords system that fix fixes both tin roof rain and road noise on bluetooth phone calls.

I had almost monthly stops at the dealership to get them to clear the light for the air bag light that no one seemed concerned about because there weren't any codes being shot out and nothing seemed out of place... but the light would flash showing there was a problem.

You should trade in the mini for a first gen! Lol, kidding aside, hopefully you have found something that suits your needs. Best of luck!

From an Explorer to a Mini??????? That's nuttier than squirrel pop. You can park a mini inside an Ex.

Enjoy your new ride.:)

Bummer, now the Serious Explorations Houston Owners Club is down by a member :(

Should we have some sort of automotive version of the missing man formation, rolling down 45?

I'm starting to wonder if these Explorers with the multiple issues were built around the same time. Perhaps there may have been problems on the assembly line or with some workers.
Mine was a Feb. 24, 2011 build and aside from the 'random wipe' TSB it has been great.

Peter

Been very close myself so I understand. So far since last problem 1 month ago I have been good! Now that I have said that expect me *****ing here again soon! ;) I did hear something weird this morning from the back, like scraping but it went away. It goes in Monday for a NYS inspection, Oil change and that "Customer satisfaction" thingie.....which is really a "oops we effed up" thingie! :D

Best of luck!!!:thumbsup:

Don't get me started......VM from dealer yesterday......"sorry, well we keep shooting ourselves in the foot and feel we are literally rebuilding your EX for you, first the left foot, then the right foot, while fixing XYZ, we broke ABC, DEF, GHI, and JKL...............we need to keep your EX longer, parts are on order"

I just checked out the BMW "xoutpost" forum and the Nissan "nissanforums". I do this once in a while when I notice excessive *****in' and moanin' here on this site.
You'd think the New Explorer had more than it's share of problems. It doesn't.
You see all the same posts starting with "So" or "Like", and reports of unfortunate warranty issues on any car brand forum.
I checked; Subaru and Toyota have service departments where customers go to have things fixed!
Too bad a few have had more than their share of issues, but like a vast majority of owners, I love my Explorer and haven't had any problems whatsoever.

From an Explorer to a Mini??????? That's nuttier than squirrel pop. You can park a mini inside an Ex.

Enjoy your new ride.:)

I know right! But for a family of 2 with 2 dogs < 6 lbs each we just don't need all that space. The one time we had it loaded down, was well, because we could! not because we needed all the extra luggage. We're only planing on 1 child for many different reasons, so the Cooper S Countryman fit our need of practical space. My wife's daily driver is a Camry so we are well covered.

The greatest feature of the Cooper so far... 30 MPG without even trying :)

Bummer, now the Serious Explorations Houston Owners Club is down by a member :(

Should we have some sort of automotive version of the missing man formation, rolling down 45?

I'll put the mini in the left 3 spot and then peel off at my exit ;)

I know right! But for a family of 2 with 2 dogs < 6 lbs each we just don't need all that space.

Pffft! Family of 2 here also with ONE dog. Of course she (LuLu) gets treated like a princess, all 7lbs of her and we have her stuff to carry for a trip.

sc020211_0086.jpg

Of course this past Easter she disguised herself as a bunny....split personality.

lulu_easter__0029.jpg

:D

Pffft! Family of 2 here also with ONE dog. Of course she (LuLu) gets treated like a princess, all 7lbs of her and we have her stuff to carry for a trip.
:D

My wife said AWWWW! Is LuLu a haveneese? we have a 6 month old havenese (Cutie) and they have a lot of common features. the other dog is a 11 1/2 year old pomeranian (Precious).

I got the havenese because the pom was starting to slow down and act all sickly... I was trying to prepare a smooth transition for the wife who had the pom since she was 16. Soon as the puppy came home the pom got a whole new life in her...

I got the havenese because the pom was starting to slow down and act all sickly... I was trying to prepare a smooth transition for the wife who had the pom since she was 16. Soon as the puppy came home the pom got a whole new life in her...

That's great news...happy to hear it! :thumbsup:
LuLu is a Maltese.

Personally I am glad you made the choice to a Mini "yuppie" Cooper! One less person to whine on this forum about problems that are most likely operator error or just to wacky to understand the character of a quality machine. If you would rather be un-American and own the foreign crap good for you I am happy. We dont need folks that don't understand what a quality machine is and how to deal with the dealerships. Enjoy your new ride!!!!;);););)

The new Explorer...the dogs...I understand the market now. LOL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back