i just grinded my gears for the first time :( | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

i just grinded my gears for the first time :(

check35

Reaction score
City, State
Toms River, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 ranger xlt
i almost had a heart attack when I heard it god damn that was not a good sound. Im getting better at driving my ranger, but i still cant perfect the first gear take off lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you cant find them grind them! and it wont be the last time you do it either. if i get sloppy i will grind a gear in my miata. 183k miles on the trans, it still shifts fine

How long have you had your ranger? took me about a month to get used to my mustang, about 3 to get used to downshifting.

i just bought it a week ago and its my first manual truck! I hear you can take off in first with just the clutch? Im learning how to drive manual but i suck at the 1st gear take off!

What gear are you using, if not 1st ?

no i was asking if it was possible to get the truck moving in first without applying the throttle?

Yes, you can. Whats the point in slipping the clutch that much just to do 5MPH?

no i was asking if it was possible to get the truck moving in first without applying the throttle?
If your engine doesn't die, you can. But is kind of bad because it takes a longer time to start with that clutch slipping at low rpm.
I usually do this - with the clutch depressed to the bottom, hit gently the gas to get some 1200 rpm and then release the clutch to the point where truck wants to move and rpm's start to drop.
At that point give little more gas and when move with walking speed, you can release slowly the clutch.

When you want to stop or slow down, raise the right foot from gas and press the brake without touching the clutch - till the rpm's drop around 1200. At that point, press the clutch fast (and always to the bottom) with your left foot. Switch gear (second or third) if slow down for a turn or drop it in N if stoping.

man, my ranger doesnt have a tach so its that much harder for me!

Like said earlier, you'll get it with time. Taking off with no throttle can be done, but it's like letting off the brake in an automatic.

When you posted this, did you grind them by letting the clutch out a little early, like before it was all the way in gear? I've done that before and it's a wake up call for sure. :D

thats exactly what I did that grinded lol

I was like oh **** what was that!!! My brother said its the synchro mesh failing to engage the gears and that ill be fine :eek:

Very hard to start off from a dead stop without applying a bit of throttle. I had a 91 Ranger 4x4 with the 4.0 V6 and 5 speed that absolutely would not start from a stop without revving to about 1200RPM. Ford said there was nothing wrong with it. Last time it died in a Phoenix intersection, I traded it for an 86 Bronco. Of course, being a truck dfiver, I am used to easing the clutch out then walking into the throttle easy to get 80,000# rolling. In my opinion, the throttle position switch has a lot to do with being able to ease away from a stop smoothly. Even in electronically controlled big trucks.

im getting the hang of it now!

I stalled out bad on a steep hill lol and so did a dump truck everyone was honking for us to get out of the way! I yelled its harder for us because we drive manual like real men :D

Keep the faith - it get's better!!

We made all our kids get manual shifts for their first vehicles, even though they learned on our automatics. They hated it at first; my stepdaughter was brought to tears the first couple of drives. But I told them - In a week you'll be comfortable, and in a month you won't even think about it. And that is exactly what happened!

As a bonus, we had very little issue with other kids driving our kid's vehicles. Most of their friend's parents couldn't drive stick!!

You'd think i'd be getting electrocuted when I grind them. Usually when I grind gears is when i'm really deep in thought about everything but driving.. sure is a wake up call!

yes its not a good sound! It scared me and I stopped the truck because I was trying to figure out what just happened.

Back