• Register Today It's free!

let's talk moonroofs

MizzouMan_2000

Reaction score
City, State
Peoria, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT! :D
I'be been thinking of getting an explorer for several months now. One thing i keep flip-flopping on is the moonroof. Ive never had a car that has had one and I really like the one offered on the explorer. One of my concerns is long-term issues that could come about from the moonroof. If appreciate any input about others' experiences with them either on the explorers or other vehicles.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had moonroofs in several different cars.. the current one in the 2012 Ex, the one before that in my 2005 Ex, and I've never had a problem. Being in car without one makes me feel like I'm in a cave now.

I like the versatility of having it open, closed, popped up like a sunroof, or even closing the shade if it's too hot outside. Nearly every car I've ever had has had at least a sunroof, and I believe this is moonroof #4. Never had a leak (most of these cars have lived outside), or any other problems.

I say go for it. :)

^ Says it all. I agree, go for it.

Its a poor mans convertible, I agree with the above too. The moon or sunroof overall have been designed much better, better gaskets,materials & noise has been reduced etc. I personally have never had a sunroof that leaked, and I have had them since the early 80s with my saabs. I am sure there are isolated cases but as far as leakage or being stuck open or closed is a thing of the past. Although highly functional now, Human failure for leaving it open maybe the only fault of a sunroof.

Love my EX moon roof... one word of advice "Never do an aftermarket sunroof" had one in a Honda once nothing but trouble.

Factory sunroofs have improved dramatically over the years and I just read an article recently, I think in Car and Driver, where they interviewed the CEO of the leading supplier of sunroofs to the car manufactures and he stated that the trend is now the bigger the better and leaking is a non issue.

He spoke about the drain tubes getting clogged or needing cleaning sometimes but stated that allot of the manufactures are going to huge panoramic sunroofs and his company has to ensure a quality product.

I love the sunroof in my Explorer but I think $1600 is a pricey option.

Are leaking sunroofs covered after 12/12? I know they are not covered under and ESP plan. That itself should say something.

I think most explorers have a moon roof. My Explorer has one, and is considered a base model with a V8. As for experience, to be honest I barely use the moonroof because it's kinda useless to me. I do live on the beautiful island of Guam, but has yet to utilize the sunroof that much. I mean it's great to have it because the interior looks much more modern with it

Moonroofs would be covered under an ESP if it is a mechanical failure. Esp's do not cover most seals or gaskets unless a mechanical failure requires disassembling something that has a 1 time use seal/gasket.

Water leaks would not be covered if it is a result of a seal failing.

However, 5 vehicles with moonroofs, 14 years, 390,000 miles, never a leak or failure of any kind.

My 2002 Escape developed a significant leak (part of the mechanism broke on one side and it would close unevenly) a couple of years ago and the dealer quoted me $2k to fix it. Apparently there are no aftermarket parts available and fixing it requires removing entire headliner and replacing the entire unit.

I opted to go with silicone sealant and duct tape...

That being said, I still went with the moon roof option in my 2013 although I noticed that the extended warranty excludes leaks. Here's hoping they've improved since '02!

Thanks for all the input. I looked at one with the moon roof and really like the idea of it... and as mentioned earlier - it sure is pricey!

wish there was an aftermarket mod to get that dual moonroof to open!

I'be been thinking of getting an explorer for several months now. One thing i keep flip-flopping on is the moon roof. Ive never had a car that has had one and I really like the one offered on the explorer. One of my concerns is long-term issues that could come about from the moon roof. If appreciate any input about others' experiences with them either on the explorers or other vehicles.

Thanks!
Welcome to the Forum MizzouMan_2000.:wavey:

I also have had them in the past and have one now. I won't go without one. I also always leave the shade open for a more 'airy' feeling.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum MizzouMan_2000.:wavey:

I also have had them in the past and have one now. I won't go without one. I also always leave the shade open for a more 'airy' feeling.

Peter

Thanks for the warm welcome, Peter.

Moonroofs would be covered under an ESP if it is a mechanical failure. Esp's do not cover most seals or gaskets unless a mechanical failure requires disassembling something that has a 1 time use seal/gasket.

Water leaks would not be covered if it is a result of a seal failing.

However, 5 vehicles with moonroofs, 14 years, 390,000 miles, never a leak or failure of any kind.

Yes, mechanical failures are covered and I have seen motors fail and tracks bind up which are very expensive repairs. ESP Premium Care is a very good thing on a vehicle you own. Still wont cover just water leaks.

wish there was an aftermarket mod to get that dual moonroof to open!

Where, exactly, would it slide? There isn't enough real estate to accommodate both sliding back.

I sprung for the moonoof in my 2012. I tell ya...SO GLAD I DID! Driving around Alaska and being able to see so much more and the open feeling... Can't be beat! Love it! Spring for it. You won't be dissapointed! :)

On the cold days, I keep the shade closed and it does help the cabin stay warmer so that's nice too.

Sunroof's come in so handy, especially if you have something long that is needed to stick out.

However, I think a fog-able sunroof (switch glass) would be a great idea. A good example of this would be this link.. Notice how the glass showing the car behind it is clear then goes opaque, then clear again. I would be a great light diffuser (spread the light without the sun beating down on you).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcxivdjQ1Zw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1a8oYTkqwg

What do you guys think??????

Go for it you will not regret it. I have had many moon roofs over the years and never had problem one. I even had a couple of aftermarket ones and never had a leak. The one in the Ex is awesome especially at night with the whole thing oen and being able to look up at the night sky. Enjoy it while you can life is to short!;););)

The one in the Ex is awesome especially at night with the whole thing open and being able to look up at the night sky.
Not while you're driving I hope.:D

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sunroof's come in so handy, especially if you have something long that is needed to stick out.

However, I think a fog-able sunroof (switch glass) would be a great idea. A good example of this would be this link.. Notice how the glass showing the car behind it is clear then goes opaque, then clear again. I would be a great light diffuser (spread the light without the sun beating down on you).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcxivdjQ1Zw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1a8oYTkqwg

What do you guys think??????

We have a full 30' wall made out of these panels in a conference room at work, if you look closely at it there are quite a few imperfections in it. Wouldn't want it in my car just yet.

Back