Ambient lighting | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ambient lighting

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How do u control ambient lighting?
Cant find it anywhere....:(
On your main screen (MFT) select Menu/Vehicle/Ambient Lighting. Then press on the colour you want.

Welcome to the Forum JAY504. :wavey:

Peter

Yeah I stumbled on that menu yesterday while test driving my new Explorer and my immediate reaction was "Oh man this is a color blind man's worst nightmare." :)

Hello, I just brought home a fully loaded 2012 Limited and am too trying to figure out how to control the ambient lighting. What you guys describe below doesn't seem to fit what is in my MFT under the Settings section. In the MFT, there are only the options of Display Mode, Trip 1 & 2, Fuel economy, Settings, and Information. Below are the options in the MFT - Settings which match the owners manual, none of which have Ambient Lighting as a choice:

Driver Assist: Traction Ctrl, Blind Spot, Collision warning, Cross Traffic, Cruise Control, Rear Park Aid,Trailer Sway

Vehicle: Autolamp Delay, Easy Entry/Exit, Fuel, Locks, Menu Control, Oil life Reset, Power Liftgate, Remote Start, Wipers

MyKey: Create MyKey, Traction Control, Speed Warning, Volume Limiter, Clear MyKeys

Display: Gauge Display, Trip Display

Language: english, spanish, french

Units: Distance, temp

Restore Defaults: Hold OK to Reset to Factory Defaults

Am I not in the right spot in the menu somewhere? this is in the left side of the instrument cluster, operated by the buttons on the left side of the steering wheel. I don't see a Vehicle section in the main menu. I must be missing something.

Mine seem to be blue in color when opening the door with the car off, but when driving down the road at night it is purple. Not really a fan of the purple.

Hello, I just brought home a fully loaded 2012 Limited and am too trying to figure out how to control the ambient lighting. What you guys describe below doesn't seem to fit what is in my MFT under the Settings section. In the MFT, there are only the options of Display Mode, Trip 1 & 2, Fuel economy, Settings, and Information. Below are the options in the MFT - Settings which match the owners manual, none of which have Ambient Lighting as a choice:

Driver Assist: Traction Ctrl, Blind Spot, Collision warning, Cross Traffic, Cruise Control, Rear Park Aid,Trailer Sway

Vehicle: Autolamp Delay, Easy Entry/Exit, Fuel, Locks, Menu Control, Oil life Reset, Power Liftgate, Remote Start, Wipers

MyKey: Create MyKey, Traction Control, Speed Warning, Volume Limiter, Clear MyKeys

Display: Gauge Display, Trip Display

Language: english, spanish, french

Units: Distance, temp

Restore Defaults: Hold OK to Reset to Factory Defaults

Am I not in the right spot in the menu somewhere? this is in the left side of the instrument cluster, operated by the buttons on the left side of the steering wheel. I don't see a Vehicle section in the main menu. I must be missing something.

Mine seem to be blue in color when opening the door with the car off, but when driving down the road at night it is purple. Not really a fan of the purple.

This is done through the big screen not either of the smaller ones near the speedometer. Hope this helps.

This is done through the big screen not either of the smaller ones near the speedometer. Hope this helps.

Ahh, I will check that out then. Thanks!

It's in the manual....

You know, I was looking in the Explorer manual and couldn't find crap. With lexrid's help above, I looked in the MyTouch manual and found it in there. Sorry guys, its a lot to figure out :D

I have it on my Escape and I like it. On the Escape, it's not just the footwells that get lit up- it's also the cup holders in the front. It doesn't really add any utility to the vehicle, it's just one of those "creature features" that improve your overall impression of the cabin space. Much like soft touch materials also improve your perception of the cabin.

If you don't get it factory/dealer installed and are somewhat handy with electrons, you could make your own with some LEDs.

The ambient lighting is the best! I am 59 and I really like it. Makes the interior really cool! Besides I really like my Explorer and would not change anything!;););)

Question about ambient lighting

Hi, guys! Quick question...I have been keeping my eyes open for a used '11 or '12 Explorer Limited for a while and will hopefully be buying one by the end of the year. Last week, I had the opportunity to rent an Edge Limited, which I know shares a lot of the Ex features including the ambient lighting. It is definitely a VERY cool feature, but here's my question...on the Edge, I was only able to get the ambient lighting to work when I was opening and closing the doors. It never stayed on while I was driving at night. I was hoping that the feature would stay on while driving, but I couldn't find anything under the MFT screen to keep the lighting on at all times. It would just come on during opening the doors and that's it! Does your Explorer ambient lighting stay on at all times at night, or is that feature ONLY available when you open doors?

The ambient lighting stays on the entire time the headlights are on. Not sure why the Edge was doing that.

That's strange it was not staying on at night. Maybe it was turned off. You can change everything by selecting settings, vehicle, then ambient lighting. There you can select it to be on or off, select the brightness, or chose one of 7 colors for the lighting. Which rental company offered the Edge Limited for rent?

That's strange it was not staying on at night. Maybe it was turned off. You can change everything by selecting settings, vehicle, then ambient lighting. There you can select it to be on or off, select the brightness, or chose one of 7 colors for the lighting. Which rental company offered the Edge Limited for rent?

I have rented them from Enterprise, including Explorers.

I actually rented my Edge through Avis. And yeah, I DID go through the settings and ensured the ambient lighting was on. Even though the headlights were on at all times, the ambient lighting did not stay on while I was driving. It only came on when I opened the door. Maybe it was some kind of defect with the Edge, but Ron just confirmed they ARE supposed to stay on at night as long as the headlights are on! Thanks for the help, guys!

I actually rented my Edge through Avis. And yeah, I DID go through the settings and ensured the ambient lighting was on. Even though the headlights were on at all times, the ambient lighting did not stay on while I was driving. It only came on when I opened the door. Maybe it was some kind of defect with the Edge, but Ron just confirmed they ARE supposed to stay on at night as long as the headlights are on! Thanks for the help, guys!

Helicopter - Thanks for the info.

phreaky - As Ron said, they do stay on when the headlights are on. I keep my ambient lighting on every time I drive at night. It's such a cool feature. I would imagine something was broken in the Edge since the ambient lighting would not stay on.

The ambient lighting is the best! I am 59 and I really like it. Makes the interior really cool! Besides I really like my Explorer and would not change anything!;););)

I like my ambient lighting on my 2013 Ford Explorer, but recently I noticed that the door sills on the back doors the ambient lighting is not working.

Does anyone know if they are supposed to be lite up? My wife has a Ford Edge and her back door sills are lite up.

Thanks

I like my ambient lighting on my 2013 Ford Explorer, but recently I noticed that the door sills on the back doors the ambient lighting is not working.

Does anyone know if they are supposed to be lite up? My wife has a Ford Edge and her back door sills are lite up.

Thanks

I don't think I've ever seen any but I haven't paid attention...I'll check it out next time I'm out at night. The only thing I've really seen in the back is coming from the rear of the center console

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the quick response!

Yeah my center console light up in back also.

I just took a flash light out to check out the difference in the front and back door sills and the front door sills have a light in them but the back do not.

I am not sure if they were left out on mistake or meant to be that way, it sure is strange that my wife new Edge, same year as mine 2013 lights up in the read door sills and mine does not.

Thanks again for the response.

Back