Popping sound when accelerating gently. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Popping sound when accelerating gently.

foxtemple

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer
I hear this popping sound [a single pop] when I accelerate gently sometimes. Sometimes I hear it when reversing too. I don't know much about cars and don't want to take it to the dealership unless it's a serious problem [replicating stuff to dealer techs is a pain]. I have a 2011 Ford Explorer 4wd with the 3.5l v6. Anyone else getting this same sound or know how to remedy it? Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hear this popping sound [a single pop] when I accelerate gently sometimes. Sometimes I hear it when reversing too. I don't know much about cars and don't want to take it to the dealership unless it's a serious problem [replicating stuff to dealer techs is a pain]. I have a 2011 Ford Explorer 4wd with the 3.5l v6. Anyone else getting this same sound or know how to remedy it? Thanks in advance.

I wonder if it could be what the mini cooper owners are complaining about.

The minis complain about a thunk when pulling away at a stop light and such. It was dianosed as the chamber that burns the gas tank vapor thunking closed. Or atleast the part that catches the gas vapor from the gas tank as part of the polution control system.

I have a 03 ramthat goes thunk first thing when you start the engine and this was what was identified as the source. Dealer said normal but just to watch it incase.

Hope this helps. Take it to the dealer though to really find out the cause.

I hear this popping sound [a single pop] when I accelerate gently sometimes. Sometimes I hear it when reversing too...
foxtemple,

I recommend visiting the dealer so they can look into it. I can lend a hand by setting up a call from the Customer Service Manager in your area. For me to help, please send a PM with your contact information, VIN, mileage, & dealer name/state.

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 2011-2013 Explorer section. Take it back to the dealer. It should be under the warranty.
...Hope this helps. Take it to the dealer though to really find out the cause.
BrooklynBay & Kjeffery,

Thanks for the helping out. :)

Cory

Went to the dealer and they found out that there was no lube on the front axle. The lubed it up and now the problem is gone. Don't know how there could be no lube though... the car barely has 10k miles on it.

Thank you. Very new to forums.

I am hearing the same thing on my 2011. It has spent about two weeks with the dealer fixing issues. I will have them check it out the next service.

Back