Caliper Covers or Painting/Powder Coating | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Caliper Covers or Painting/Powder Coating

Anyone here have experience with these MGP Caliper Covers? I was thinking they might add a little color and a sporty look to the Ex since my calipers do appear to look tiny behind my larger black rim/tire setup. They are kinda pricey for just covers ($230 set of 4)!

CaliperCovers.jpg

IMG_0011-1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hmmm. i like those. i may get a set. where at may i ask?

Found them on EBay

I have no experience, but I have seen the covers mentioned on other sites for Explorers and Mustangs. I also looked into them a bit on the company's website instead of just ebay. They seem to have a small performance benefit (brake dust), but I feel mostly a comestic thing. I've considered buy a set myself. The price is the only thing holding me back.

BTW, I think you would be fine, but make sure your aftermarket rims would have enough clearance for the covers. The covers aren't that big, but it wouldn't be much fun to purchase them and then find out you don't have the clearance between the caliper and rim.

I have no experience, but I have seen the covers mentioned on other sites for Explorers and Mustangs. I also looked into them a bit on the company's website instead of just ebay. They seem to have a small performance benefit (brake dust), but I feel mostly a comestic thing. I've considered buy a set myself. The price is the only thing holding me back.

BTW, I think you would be fine, but make sure your aftermarket rims would have enough clearance for the covers. The covers aren't that big, but it wouldn't be much fun to purchase them and then find out you don't have the clearance between the caliper and rim.

yeah i took a look at a video of these same brand being installed on and f150 and it looks like the covers take up some considerable room between the brake and rim. i dont think they would fit on the OEM XLT rims. so i think im passing.

at that price its not really even worth trying in my opinion.

anyone has pics of the installed product ?

You can always opt for caliper paint to give them some color. I helped a friend do his calipers on a new mustang, pretty easy and looked good. Its some sort of epoxy paint. He originally did them in red with his stock wheels, then after he upgraded the wheels, he changed it to black.

Better to use high-temp caliper red paint, can found at most automotive stores. Covers are a bit pricey. Willwood does sell an aftermarket caliper replacement for those willing to make the change, don't know if you have change rotors?

I've actually got a set of these (MGP) on my Dodge Ram 1500. They look really sweet and not at all hard to put on. Hardest part was that I put them on in January, my jack broke 1/2 way through installation, and I had to sledge hammer one of my wheels off. Putting the actual calipers on was easy. Be ware not to over-tighten, it'll make them slip out of place. Also, they really don't take up that much space.

Get your calipers powder coated, thats the way to go! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Caliper covers are CHEESY, I will laugh at you, as you drive by!
tomato.gif

Anyone here have experience with these MGP Caliper Covers? I was thinking they might add a little color and a sporty look to the Ex since my calipers do appear to look tiny behind my larger black rim/tire setup. They are kinda pricey for just covers ($230 set of 4)!

CaliperCovers.jpg

IMG_0011-1.jpg

Get your calipers powder coated, thats the way to go! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Caliper covers are CHEESY, I will laugh at you, as you drive by!
tomato.gif
:eek:
It's okay to be jealous! Maybe mama can buy you a set for Xmas!

^lol

Took the plung and bought a set. Total came to $189 incl. free shipping from Carid.com. I used "vote10" coupon code for $10 discount

Please post pictures :D

I put REAL big brakes on fast cars, not 'pretend' big brake covers on slow ones! :D

P1010012copy2.jpg

:eek:
It's okay to be jealous! Maybe mama can buy you a set for Xmas!

Or maybe ... just do what you think looks good and enjoy your ride... ;)

I agree Vince lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I put REAL big brakes on fast cars, not 'pretend' big brake covers on slow ones! :D

P1010012copy2.jpg

My bad, didn't realize I was talking to a Big Balller! I think I'll try powder coating you suggest.I'm sure that will really give me the stopping power I need for my slow ride!

Back