• Register Today It's free!

Road Trip - 2600 miles - 8 days

Holligl

Reaction score
City, State
Hoffman Estates, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited Platinum
Last week I convoyed to a ASP Mission project in SE Kentucky, then to Springfield, Mass for my daughter's Graduation, then returned to Illinois. The 2011 Limited was awesome.

Mission Project - convoyed with a cargo carrier on the hitch, hauling all my tools, six passengers and assorted gear. Adaptive Cruise is one of the best features especially in convoy and in rain. Mine does not have any significant rain noise from the roof. Everyone was comfortable and impressed with the technology. ~21.5 MPG ~70mph. Highly recommend the cargo carrier from Farm & Fleet (Larin?). Fold up cage built in, and includes a net and cover. Best part - even after drilling a new hole to move it as far forward as possible, the tail gate clears it to open without removal. Hauled a work bench and wheel barrow on the roof rack to the work site. Like all of us, "Pearl" got a little dirty in Appalachia, but nothing that couldn't be cleaned up. Sirius weather map required a call to Sirius for a reset, fine after that.

Solo drive to Springfield - I had <24 hours to drive ~15 hours after a full days work. Left the Cargo carrier and tools with the mission team. Left after 5pm and drove until ~1:30 am. Southern VA was gorgeous, loved the drive on the twisty roads getting to the interstate. Slept in the back with a bedroll at a rest stop in PA until 5 am. Sirius radio was great for long trips. Avg ~22mpg @ ~70mph.

Return to IL. 2 Car convoy home. Stopped in Canton - PRO Football Hall of Fame. PRO emphasized because the Nav was clueless on just "Football" HoF. It could easily find Foot Locker Stores in a three state area though. Navigation on the fly is very frustrating. Finding POIs and storing them in advance is key. The last leg around Chicago I was driving the Mazda 3 and chasing my wife in the Ex. Felt like a Go Cart after the Ex. At least I got to check out how it looked going down the road. Last tank was 23 mpg, Springfield home 22.4 mpg, whole 2600+ miles 21.8 mpg.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am hoping I get the numbers that you did on your trip...I however have added a yakima skybox16 to the roof of mine and I am betting that will cut my mileage. My trip consist of Detroit MI to Rapid City SD to Yellowstone to Jackson Hole to Kalispell MT to glacier and back to Sioux Falls SD with our final destination at Duluth MN all done over 16 days or so...according to google maps its about 4300 miles...yikes

I am hoping I get the numbers that you did on your trip...I however have added a yakima skybox16 to the roof of mine and I am betting that will cut my mileage. My trip consist of Detroit MI to Rapid City SD to Yellowstone to Jackson Hole to Kalispell MT to glacier and back to Sioux Falls SD with our final destination at Duluth MN all done over 16 days or so...according to google maps its about 4300 miles...yikes

hi There, may I ask to what are you mounting the yakima skybox? to factory cross rails? or to yakima crossbars?
MY ex has factory cross bars, I added yakima round cross bars with lowriders and the noise/vibration was horrible with this set-up. I removed the factory cross bars while keeping the yakima rounds and the noise was noticeably reduced, but it is still there... all this without wind fairing...

That's a great writeup and sounds like a memorable road trip. Thanks for posting.

We did a similar Western trip several years ago. Love the Black Hills and the Grand Tetons.

The rear cargo carrier does have less drag and easier access. This one does not block the taillights, license plate, or tailgate.

I did install a H&N air filter too.

i mounted the skybox to the factory crossbars. After the first 1300 miles I can report that the only noise out of the box was when the strong crosswinds would cause a small amount of chatter. It was not noticeable if you weren't paying attention. The a-pillars (that i had fixed prior to leaving) were more noticeable than anything from the box.

oh yeah...my mileage has been terrible 17-19...but I do drive 80-84 so I can only blame myself on that one.

What is the name of the rear carrier? Where did you get it and how much did it cost? It looks really neat! We are going on a trip to Mt.Rushmore and I think we are going to need a bit more cargo room. THANKS!!

Id like to know what that carrier is as well. We have a trip coming up and I'm considering getting one of those.
Is it water proof?

I will be doing 4000 miles in 14 days in mid-July on our annual road trip, it will be the first for the Explorer, on the way home I have to pick up an engine and it has to go in the rear cargo area, should be fun, lol

Id like to know what that carrier is as well. We have a trip coming up and I'm considering getting one of those.
Is it water proof?
The cover is waterproof, but the bottom is open grate. Things still stay pretty clean but I would not carry any thing that could be damaged from road spray from the bottom.

I did drill a different hole in the receiver insert to move it as far forward as possible without hitting the spare tire container. The standard hole hangs it back further than needed. Even moved forward, the tail gate clears to open, even with the cage up. I have added tail lights to mine now for added safety.

It is very slick and easy, I have hauled sod, Tool boxes, an Aerator, anything messy you don't want inside.

I will be doing 4000 miles in 14 days in mid-July on our annual road trip, it will be the first for the Explorer, on the way home I have to pick up an engine and it has to go in the rear cargo area, should be fun, lol
What kind of engine? Check the dimensions and compare to the hatch opening. I ended up with a refrigerator that only mostly fit with doors removed and hanging out the rear. Only had to go 5 miles.

Thanks for all the info!:usa:;)

Sorry....got another question.....do you have a 1 1/4" receiver hole or a 2"? Thanks!!:)

Love this write up, I am originally from Chicago(West Surburbs) now I live in Northern Virginia, on the 22nd of June I will be doing around 3600 miles round trip. I will be leaving heading to a small town in Mississippi(Isola), stay there 3 weeks then on to Oralndo, FL stay there 8 days then on to Daytona for 4 days and then back home to Woodbridge, VA. I'm hoping the 13 Limited take me there and make this a very memorable trip for me and my family. I love the truck so far jus need to get a few things done before i leave, tinted front windows(15% to match the back windows 110.00), bike rack(104.00), front bra(ordered 102.00) and DeeZee running boards(back ordered waiting for the black top wit chrome trim) then I will be ready for my trip.

Back