2011 Explorer Limited vs 2013 XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Explorer Limited vs 2013 XLT

letzleta

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
Hello all, I am looking to purchase an Explorer and wanted to hear opinions on the two options I have.

Option 1: 2011 Limited, 40000 miles, White platinum tricoat, 4WD, 302A (nav, active park assist, adaptive cruise, blind spot monitor, HID, A/C seats), 2nd row buckets w/console, dual panel moonroof, trailer tow package. This is also a certified pre-owned vehicle from Ford.

Option 2: 2013 XLT, 2WD, White, my touch, sync, rearview camera, heated seats, power lift gate, med light stone leather, navigation. (I don't have the sticker so I don't know the exact specs.)

The Limited will cost about $1500 more than the new XLT. If they were the same price I would likely go with the Limited, as I would like to have the sunroof

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

40k more miles, 2 years older and more money, i don't think I could do that. Do you need a 4x4 or will the 2wd on the xlt be fine? You could always order a 2013 to your exact wanting, including the sunroof.

40k more miles, 2 years older and more money, i don't think I could do that. Do you need a 4x4 or will the 2wd on the xlt be fine? You could always order a 2013 to your exact wanting, including the sunroof.
Technically I think that the 2011 is really only 1 year old. Going by model year, yes, it is 2 years but only because the 2012 MY was a very short one. We aren't even half way through 2012.
But I agree that provided with the 2 options, one important question is, do you want AWD or not? Ordering what you want is still an option as stated.
Welcome to the Forum, letzleta.:wavey:

Peter

AWD is just a nice to have. We live in southern Ohio, so we see snow, but not like up north. Our driveway is a decent grade, but a shovel could solve that issue. This is actually going to be a car for my wife and she liked the blind spot monitors on our test drive.

Keep in mind we are comparing a car that stickered at 48K to one that stickered at 37K. The reason we are able to get the new one for 1500 less than the used one is there is a 1000 incentive to purchase the new one right now. If I were to build one, we would not be able to get the incentive and in that case the new one would end up being about 2k more than the used one.

My wife and I both really like the tan leather in the used one over the dark grey in the new one, but she prefers the bench 2nd row (I like the buckets). We also both prefer the look of the 20 inch wheels to the 18's, although I am sure tires are significantly more expensive.

As you can tell, I am having a really hard time deciding. The only reason I even consider the used one is because it looks brand new. It is really clean, just a scratch on one wheel and the limited badge on the back is peeling. It was a lease return.

You should still get the $1,000 incentive if you order one. Also, if you order a brochure you may get another $750 in private cash for a total of $1,750.

Well if you get the 2011 you need to make sure all the TSB have been taken care of first.

The better value would be the 2013 model but then that is just me be a cheap sob.

30k plus for 40k mile car is a bit much. Now if it had only 20k on the miles then I would say look at it. Even though the car is certified really does not mean much to me unless all maintenance records are available.

With the high prices on used cars today I would say just buying new is better. You will not be buying someone elses problems.

AWD is just a nice to have. We live in southern Ohio, so we see snow, but not like up north. Our driveway is a decent grade, but a shovel could solve that issue. This is actually going to be a car for my wife and she liked the blind spot monitors on our test drive.

Keep in mind we are comparing a car that stickered at 48K to one that stickered at 37K. The reason we are able to get the new one for 1500 less than the used one is there is a 1000 incentive to purchase the new one right now. If I were to build one, we would not be able to get the incentive and in that case the new one would end up being about 2k more than the used one.

My wife and I both really like the tan leather in the used one over the dark grey in the new one, but she prefers the bench 2nd row (I like the buckets). We also both prefer the look of the 20 inch wheels to the 18's, although I am sure tires are significantly more expensive.

As you can tell, I am having a really hard time deciding. The only reason I even consider the used one is because it looks brand new. It is really clean, just a scratch on one wheel and the limited badge on the back is peeling. It was a lease return.

If you order one, your dealer can lock you into the current incentives and if they get better before your order gets here, then you get the better incentives. If your dealer does not know this then find another dealer.... :)

I agree. Plus if you have the x-plan + $1750 incentive and min doc fee. You're looking at almost 5k off a brand new one.

You should still get the $1,000 incentive if you order one. Also, if you order a brochure you may get another $750 in private cash for a total of $1,750.

Hello all, I am looking to purchase an Explorer and wanted to hear opinions on the two options I have.

Option 1: 2011 Limited, 40000 miles, White platinum tricoat, 4WD, 302A (nav, active park assist, adaptive cruise, blind spot monitor, HID, A/C seats), 2nd row buckets w/console, dual panel moonroof, trailer tow package. This is also a certified pre-owned vehicle from Ford.

Option 2: 2013 XLT, 2WD, White, my touch, sync, rearview camera, heated seats, power lift gate, med light stone leather, navigation. (I don't have the sticker so I don't know the exact specs.)

The Limited will cost about $1500 more than the new XLT. If they were the same price I would likely go with the Limited, as I would like to have the sunroof

In general, I would say go for the new 2013. HOWEVER. I have a 2011 Limited with the 302A package and its AWESOME. The BLIS and active cruise control get a lot of use. The Active Park does not, but is really handy because I don't think I could parallel park this beast without it.

Also, the bucket seats are a great option - if you don't need to seat 7 its the way to go. One thing Ford does not advertise is that the buckets give 1-2 more inches of legroom to the second row passengers over the bench seats and have the ability to move forward (bench does not) giving the third row more legroom there. Additionally, you could remove the console to get even more legroom for the third row (you can stretch your legs in the aisle between the seats).

Finally, one note of caution: Whatever you choose, if you want Navigation make sure you are really getting the NAVIGATION. Many dealers will say that an Explorer has navigation when in fact, all it has is turn-by-turn directions through Sync. This is not the same. The key to tell is to press the upper right quadrant on MFT. If you get a map with your location on it - you have NAV

Are there any specific things or known major issues to look for in the 2011?

Also, it has been mentioned to make sure the TSB's have been performed. Are there specific ones?

I was under the impression that TSB's aren't performed unless the vehichle exibits some sort of issue to necessitate the fix.

Also, it has been mentioned to make sure the TSB's have been performed. Are there specific ones?

I was under the impression that TSB's aren't performed unless the vehichle exibits some sort of issue to necessitate the fix.
A TSB is not usually performed unless the dealer can duplicate the problem. My dealer did not require the 'random windshield wipe' nor the 'tin roof noise' to be duplicated. However, I am holding off with the second one at the moment. The random wipe TSB was carried out and all was fine until the MFT upgrade was done. I have had this issue a couple of times since then.
Another problem experienced by some owners was the 'A' pillar wind noise.
There is a sticky that shows the various TSB's.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343204

Peter

Well, we ended up with the 2011 Limited. Talked them down to within $500 of a new XLT and got an additional 6 year 100k mile bumper to bumper warranty. After looking it over again, it looks nearly brand new. I test drove a 2012 with 12k miles and it was in worse shape than the 2011 with 40k. My wife and I are very excited.

Well, we ended up with the 2011 Limited. Talked them down to within $500 of a new XLT and got an additional 6 year 100k mile bumper to bumper warranty. After looking it over again, it looks nearly brand new. I test drove a 2012 with 12k miles and it was in worse shape than the 2011 with 40k. My wife and I are very excited.

Nice! I think you made a good choice (although both choices were pretty good!). All the extra little electronic goodies on the 302A package are really nice. If you haven't already - go out and try the active park assist. It works really well!

40K miles on a 1.5 year old car is high. Go new with the XLT.

Back