• Register Today It's free!

2013 Limited versus 2013 XLT

gracie'sdad

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 F-150
I have been looking at the new explorers and found this site and just want the experts opinion on the difference. I drove a xlt and a limited. They are both nice vehicles. I also priced an xlt with several options and equipment package 202a on FORD.com. My question is that there is basically 10000.00 difference. Now what do I get for that money with the limited and not xlt model? Air conditioned seats-power fold -mirrors-power fold 3rd row seats-Sony HD radio

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ambient lighting. Heated steering wheel (I believe) and so on. XLT is probably just as good if you don't want the flashy ambient lighting.

Hmmmmmm, did the Limited you test drove have the 302A, "high tech", package?
If it did, there's a huge difference - some of those features could save your life some day!
Just my $0.02 ...

There's actually quite a bit more than that but is it worth 10k bones. It's really up to what you want. Luxury seating package, HID headlamps, power tumble second row buckets ...etc.

If you actually try to add all the stuff to the XLT that is on the Limited (which you can't) you will find that they are similar in cost. Just ask yourself if you will miss it.

If money is not an object, then load it up. If it is, then stay with what you can afford. That is true with anything in life.

I have been looking at the new explorers and found this site and just want the experts opinion on the difference. I drove a xlt and a limited. They are both nice vehicles. I also priced an xlt with several options and equipment package 202a on FORD.com. My question is that there is basically 10000.00 difference. Now what do I get for that money with the limited and not xlt model? Air conditioned seats-power fold -mirrors-power fold 3rd row seats-Sony HD radio
Welcome to the Forum gracie'sdad.:wavey:
The same site, ford.com, will also allow you to compare up to 3 different Explorer models. I believe the biggest difference in cost is due to the standard equipment and optional Value Packages on the Limited.
Good luck and happy shopping.:)

Peter

If it did, there's a huge difference - some of those features could save your life some day!
Just my $0.02 ...

Yes it did have 302a package and I really liked it. I like all the bells and whistles but my wife is not very electronic minded. I think I have her convinced because of the luxury seating package. I just wanted some other opinions. Thanks for the help.

Heated steering wheel

Ugh...that almost tips me over the edge on trading in my 2011. If they have multipoint BT finally, I am getting one.

The limited also has the high definition radio over the XLT.

It's not really "10gs" when you figure in price paid - rebates and the resale value. If you are spending 40k, why not spend 6k more and get what you REALLY want....

As alway, spend within your means...

Well 6 grand is 6 grand and I would much rather have that money in the bank or to invest rather than have 20 inch tires which everybody knows ride rougher than smaller rim sizes, and replacement cost is a lot more, ambient lights not worth it either,heated steering wheel,110v plug,hd radio, nope not worth 10 grand or 6 grand which ever it is I will take the cash and you can have your limited i am good with a xlt I don't need that badge that says limited to make me feel good.

Well 6 grand is 6 grand and I would much rather have that money in the bank or to invest rather than have 20 inch tires which everybody knows ride rougher than smaller rim sizes, and replacement cost is a lot more, ambient lights not worth it either,heated steering wheel,110v plug,hd radio, nope not worth 10 grand or 6 grand which ever it is I will take the cash and you can have your limited i am good with a xlt I don't need that badge that says limited to make me feel good.
You could probably save even more if you went with the Base model.;)
The reason they offer 3 models and options is that not everyone wants the same thing. I'm likely as happy with my Limited as you are with the XLT and the badging has nothing what so ever to do with it.
As for the ride, I noticed very little difference between the OEM 20" and the base model 17" that I used for my Winter tires.
The main thing is that you are happy with what you purchase.
Happy motoring.:thumbsup:

Peter

You could probably save even more if you went with the Base model.;)
The reason they offer 3 models and options is that not everyone wants the same thing. I'm likely as happy with my Limited as you are with the XLT and the bading has nothing wjat so ever to do with it.
As for the ride, I noticed very little difference between the OEM 20" and the base model 17" that I used for my Winter tires.
The main thing is that you are happy with what you purchase.
Happy motoring.:thumbsup:

Peter
Really?? I think question was limited vs xlt.

Really?? I think question was limited vs xlt.

And you pointed out that the limited upgrades weren't worth the money to you. Someone else could make the same statement on base vs. XLT...maybe even you.

He was being helpful ;)

Several additional features available on the LTD but not the XLT:

1.) push button start with intelligent access ( I love this feature)
2.) remote start (ditto)
3.) universal garage door opener
4.) adjustable pedals w/ memory
5.) grill on the front matches the body color
6.) body color mirrors with power fold
7.) while not on the Ford site, I believe I read in a Ford brochure that the 2011 LTD has a bigger battery than the 2011 XLT - (not entirely sure though).

In addition I have the 302A package and LOVE it. BLIS is great, Collision Warning works great (the brake precharging works really well), Adaptive cruise is one of those features that you hate to live with out once you have it. Self-Park is phenomenal.

One more tip - a lot of dealers are saying that the Sync turn-by-turn is Navigation. While it is a form of navigation, it is not the map-based navigation integrated with the touch screen display (e.g., similar to Garmin). Just make sure if you want NAV, you get NAV, and not Turn-by-Turn. NAV CANNOT BE ADDED LATER (also contrary to some dealer's statements).

Finally, a little known feature of having bucket seats is that the second row bucket seats slide forward/backwards and the bench do not. Furthermore, the second row slides backward further than the bench sits so as to give your 2nd row passengers more leg room.

Several additional features available on the LTD but not the XLT:

1.) push button start with intelligent access ( I love this feature)
2.) remote start (ditto)
3.) universal garage door opener
4.) adjustable pedals w/ memory
5.) grill on the front matches the body color
6.) body color mirrors with power fold
7.) while not on the Ford site, I believe I read in a Ford brochure that the 2011 LTD has a bigger battery than the 2011 XLT - (not entirely sure though)........
If I read the 2011 brochure correctly, it looks like the Base and XLT have 58 amp-hr-battery and the Limited has a 72 amp-hr-battery.

Peter

I have been looking at the new explorers and found this site and just want the experts opinion on the difference...Now what do I get for that money with the limited and not xlt model?...
Welcome to the boards, gracie'sdad; you came to the right place! :D I see you’ve already got a few answers to your question. I wanted to add the following list of standard equipment for the 2013MY Explorer Limited:

• Battery – 72 AH
• 20" Sparkle Nickel Painted Aluminum Wheels
• Grille – Body-Color
• Mirrors – Body-Color, PowerFold®, Drivers Memory
• Tires – P255/50R A/S BSW
• Adjustable Pedals with Memory
• Ambient Lighting
• Appliqués – Olive Ash Dark Brown Woodgrain
• Cargo Net
• Center-stack – Meteorite Black Upper and High Gloss Black Lower
• Dual-zone Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (DEATC)
• Electrochromic Interior Rearview Mirror
• Scuff Plates – Front & Rear with Bright Inserts
• Seats
— Leather-Trimmed Seats
— Heated 1st Row Seats
— 10-way Power Drivers Seat, Power Recline and Lumbar, Memory
— 4-way driver and front-passenger head restraints (2-way when DVD headrest are ordered 50R)
— 2nd Row 60/40 Split Bench with armrest and dual cupholders
• 110V Outlet
• Audio – Premium Audio System by Sony® with HD Radio™ and 12-Speakers
• Compass and Exterior Temperature Display
• Intelligent Access with Push-Button Start
• Rear View Camera
• Remote Start
• SYNC® with MyFord Touch®
— 2 Driver configurable 4.2" color LCD displays in cluster
— 8" LCD color touch-screen in center-stack
— Media hub with USB Ports (2), SD Card Reader & Audio/Video input jacks
— 5-way controls located on steering wheel
— SYNC® Services (Traffic reports, GPS based turn-by-turn directions and information services).
Note: SYNC® Services receive a complimentary three year prepaid subscription (one phone/primary account)
• Universal Garage Door Opener

You can also go to this page to compare options:

http://www.Ford.com/SUVs/Explorer/Compare-Models/

If it did, there's a huge difference - some of those features could save your life some day!...
There's actually quite a bit more than that...
If money is not an object, then load it up. If it is, then stay with what you can afford...
Several additional features available on the LTD but not the XLT:...
Thanks for everyone jumping in to help! :):thumbsup:

If I read the 2011 brochure correctly, it looks like the Base and XLT have 58 amp-hr-battery and the Limited has a 72 amp-hr-battery...
Peter,

I checked the 2011MY Explorer Order Guide and you’re correct.

Cory

Back